Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hotel Domestique: Can I get some reviews?
Quote | Reply
I have a bday coming up. Was thinking about splurging on something like this. It looks like a nice place for my wife and I to relax AND get some fresh roads for some Saturday and Sunday morning miles.

I'm finding reviews that range from great experiences to big let downs.

Since I'd be going in Feb, I don't think the rates will be peak. I know the riding will be weather dependent. I'm pretty sure that as long as the hotel and service are as advertised, we'd be happy. If the cycling angle is over hyped, I think I can live with that cuz I'm pretty self sufficient and don't really need too much fluff. It looks like they upload some routes or maybe send a local with you, saw some mention of some group rides. Not sure how it goes cuz I'm just now digging around about this.

Whatchya got?

"Outwork your talent." Kevin McHale
Quote Reply
Re: Hotel Domestique: Can I get some reviews? [morpheus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The spa has a nice IV lounge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fantastic. Been there a few times. Many excellent rides and climbs out the door. Ride 2 or more days, if you can. You can get guided rides which are good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've ridden the roads around there a lot, before Hincapie bought the place and renovated it, and after. The riding is Ok in the immediate area, but not great. Hotel itself is expensive. A little further out, the riding is much better ( areas around and including Saluda, Hendersonville, Asheville, Weaverville, etc. My advice is to stay in Asheville, then you have many great...even outstanding riding options. Plus, the town offers many things to do, and places to eat. The Blue Ridge Cycling Club is a well organized club and offer daily rides and different levels over the entire geographical area. I would not stay at the HD. Travelers Rest is a somewhat quaint little place, but its really better suited to someone that needs to get away from it all, and rest. There ain't much there. If I wanted to get away from it all, I'd go to Mars Hill, Weaverville, Sylva, etc. You still are close to civilization and the riding is far better in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Hotel Domestique: Can I get some reviews? [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good one! could use a boost, especially since I'm not doing anything that's testing this year.

kidding.

not kidding.

kidding....

Last edited by: morpheus: Jan 16, 20 4:44
Quote Reply
Re: Hotel Domestique: Can I get some reviews? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good to hear. thx.

Quote Reply
Re: Hotel Domestique: Can I get some reviews? [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great, thx. Interested in that area, too, now.

I need a place that has that kind of spa'ish feel for my wife to relax while I ride. She's not really into the airbnb idea. Got any place in those areas you mentioned that might fit that? While the idea of a cycling caddy sounds cool, I would be just as happy, and prob more comfortable, just joining the locals on some 2-3 hr rides.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
morpheus wrote:
I need a place that has that kind of spa'ish feel for my wife to relax while I ride. She's not really into the airbnb idea.
The Domestique has an old-world elegance vibe. It only has 13 rooms, so even if it is full, there will be few people on the property. They have spa activities that you can schedule, but they do not have a fully-staffed massage and spa rooms like a Ritz. It is very much a luxury athlete destination. They have Skratch products out that you can just grab to mix for your workout (no stupid $5 mini bar). When you arrive with your bike, the on-site mechanic will take care of it and then have it waiting for you again in the morning when you are ready to head out. And, they have an open pantry with wine available 24/7-- It is great for after the ride, but you can definitely get yourself into trouble if you drink red wine all day. They got a new chef about a year ago, and he is very good. The restaurant is one of the best in the area, so it is no problem eating all your meals there if you just want to hunker-in. The last time I was there, we drove in to Greenville one night to check out that area and eat at a downtown restaurant.

The roads near the hotel are average, but it is relatively central to areas like Paris Mountain, Pinnacle Mountain, Caesars Head, Skyuka Mountain, Saluda, etc. These climbs and surrounding areas are some of the best you will find anywhere.

If you are looking for something quiet and nice where you could sit, read, and relax, Domestique is tough to beat. If you are wanting something with surrounding restaurants and shopping, then Domestique is definitely not it.
Quote Reply
Re: Hotel Domestique: Can I get some reviews? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks so much

I read some 'negative' reviews but I understand that the reviewer could've been someone who is very high maintenance and had unrealistic expectations.

That's not the way I roll so I, at the very least, will consider it for this getaway.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live about 7 miles from the Domestique. As a launch point for riding it is awesome, access to some of the best riding in South and North Carolina. We go up occasionally for dinner or coffee and desert. The restaurant is good, nice relaxed atmosphere. It is away from any towns but Travelers Rest is about 15 minutes down the road and has some great places to eat and a little shopping also. Hendersonville NC is about 15 minutes North and Asheville is probably 30-40 minutes. It is a great spot, hit me up if you come down and want to ride or need a tour guide.
Quote Reply
Re: Hotel Domestique: Can I get some reviews? [xtremrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Riding around there is alright. I worked down there off and on a little while a few years back based out of Greenville. I'd take the MUP trail out of there up to Traveller's Rest and then branch out for rides. Greenville proper has lots of nice restaurants and stuff.

I'm another advocate for Asheville. If not in town, then a cabin just out of town near the riding.

I think for Hotel Domestique you have to understand you're not paying for the riding around there (you are if you purchase a tour), you are paying for a little luxury and a "cyclist experience" in terms of decor and being a "bike friendly" hotel that caters to people storing/having their bike there.

If it were me, I'd pick a nice place by Asheville and pay the difference in money on good dinners, breweries, and maybe even a Veloguide tour. Veloguide has a couple folks who operate out of Asheville last time I looked.

When you going? Winter weather can suck that area depending on the week. Hopefully this is for another time of year. I'd avoid the leaf-hunter areas during fall when the BRP is full of cars.

For unguided routes perhaps lookup the route some of the popular fondos take.
Quote Reply
Re: Hotel Domestique: Can I get some reviews? [xtremrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

If we go with the HD, I'll send a pm in a couple of weeks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
morpheus wrote:
I read some 'negative' reviews but I understand that the reviewer could've been someone who is very high maintenance and had unrealistic expectations.
I could see someone expecting a Ritz experience not getting the HD. It is a different type of luxury (that actually exceeds Ritz in many ways).
Quote Reply
Re: Hotel Domestique: Can I get some reviews? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the weather factor is def a wild card.

I think this would be the first weekend in Feb.

I know it could be grey, drizzly and 28 deg. Or, it could be one of these warm pops we're seeing every now and then in the Southeast.

maybe i should see if Clermont has anything!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would you drive to HD/Western NC? If you're flying, might be worth considering somewhere in the southwest. Weather will be much more predictable that time of year.
Quote Reply
Re: Hotel Domestique: Can I get some reviews? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The rooms, restaurant and service are all fantastic. The property is beautiful...not sure what they have in terms of a spa, but it's definitely a relaxing place.

I thought the riding was good. We mostly went up the watershed area, which is a two-lane road through the woods that is secluded, quiet, and low-traffic. Probably 6-7 miles of climbing up that and you get to the NC border and can drop down into a few areas from there. It isn't a cheap place to stay, but I'd love to do it again.
Quote Reply
Re: Hotel Domestique: Can I get some reviews? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@ all - thx for the reviews. But, I'm dumping this idea cuz I'm going to opt to go to Tucson and knock out Mt. Lemmon.

As I get older, racing is less of a big deal and the idea of knocking off some epic climbs, domestic at first and maybe europe later, really appeals to me. So, bday gift is a 1x epic climb per year as long as I care to put the energy into this.

Quote Reply