Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2 Identical trainers side by side - any problems?
Quote | Reply
I have 5 people in my family needing to train, I'm thinking of getting 2 Kickr core smart trainers. From my limited experience, Zwift is just looking for any device on bluetooth that presents itself as a trainer.

Has anyone ever tried setting up 2 trainers side by side? I'm worried my girls will get confused and setup their Zwift workout on their computer but accidentally pair to their sisters trainer.

You should have seen my face when I realized that they had been randomly swapping HR straps. They thought they could put on any HR strap and it would find their watch and work automatically. When they started their workouts together everything worked, although the HR didn't match up with their activity. As they got more than 30' apart HR would disappear only to re-appear when they happened to be close together again!
Quote Reply
Re: 2 Identical trainers side by side - any problems? [tomljones3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would tape the name of the trainer (which you can find when you connect it to zwift) on the physical trainer itself, and remind everyone to make sure they are connecting to that specific bluetooth trainer.

Ant+ and bluetooth are setup to handle multiple devices running next to each other like in proper bike studios.
Quote Reply
Re: 2 Identical trainers side by side - any problems? [tomljones3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have two kickrs side by side and run trainerroad + zwift simultaneously (cadence and HR) without issues.

We have separate devices for each person (usually phone for TR and laptop for zwift) and after the first pairing we never had any issues. It seems that in zwift/TR the previous device that was paired becomes the default choice for next time.

In either case I would have a piece of paper with each trainers' ANT+ and BT ID just in case as noted by the poster above.
Last edited by: JStirfry: Jan 15, 20 14:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an older kickr and my sister has a kickr core. Where our issue arises is if we Zwift together I have to start mine up first otherwise my AppleTV won’t find mine. She has no problem with the newer trainer also paired to her own AppleTV unit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two identical trainers walk into a bar side by side...

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My mom & I have two second gen kickrs side by side that we use with the same Apple TV, we just leave one unplugged when the other is being used. Never have any problems

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Re: 2 Identical trainers side by side - any problems? [ChandlerMyles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChandlerMyles wrote:
I would tape the name of the trainer (which you can find when you connect it to zwift) on the physical trainer itself, and remind everyone to make sure they are connecting to that specific bluetooth trainer.

Ant+ and bluetooth are setup to handle multiple devices running next to each other like in proper bike studios.

My wife and I have our trainers around 10' apart. Rather than taping the name of the trainer on the trainer, I put a label on each our of training desks that has the ANT+ ID's of our respective trainers, heart rate monitors, and power pedals. Works fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've 2x Neos side by side in our trainer room. Been like that for 2 years now. In all that time then I've had 2 occasions where one of us has ended up connecting to the wrong trainer and then it tends to 'cycle' up and down in resistance with zwift trying to control the wrong one. Possibly made worse by the power feed coming from my power meter and not the trainer that my wife is riding. First time was a real mystery, then after we realised what had happened - basically powered up one trainer, the 'other' computer / zwift, then powered up the other so it swapped from it's preferred trainer to the other one it could find.

I actually utilise this 'feature' deliberately as my usual zwift bike is an old 9sp road bike. My wife has a 10sp, and so when I'm doing a 1 off ride on my TT bike to avoid swapping cassettes I just throw on her trainer and use my zwift PC as normal.

So summary - 100% fine, the comments above about having a cheatsheet of Ant+ ids and which 'bike' by your computers is wise.
Quote Reply
Re: 2 Identical trainers side by side - any problems? [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote My wife and I have our trainers around 10' apart. Rather than taping the name of the trainer on the trainer, I put a label on each our of training desks that has the ANT+ ID's of our respective trainers, heart rate monitors, and power pedals. Works fine.[/quote]
My BF and I do exactly this as well. We share one laptop but with separate trainers, HRMs, PMs, TrainerRoad and Zwift accounts. We've renamed all of our devices to know which is which, and that works fine with TR, but for some reason Zwift can't recognize the names we gave the devices so we always have to resort to the ANT+ IDs when we ride Zwift.
Quote Reply