Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Contribution of over-reach on BP?
Quote | Reply
I've got an in-work primary we can see. We're tacking some higher BP.

Outside of a primary that might not know all about over-reach or overtraining, what is a ballpark on how much those 'could' or 'should' affect your BP when you're in that state?

I'd like to be able to share intelligently and get more out of my visits, and also plan to meet with a sports specific person.

I think knowing this might make the visits more productive.
Quote Reply
Re: Contribution of over-reach on BP? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BP?
Quote Reply
Re: Contribution of over-reach on BP? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
BP?

Sorry, blood pressure.

From searching online, over-reach and overtraining (separate items) can have the symptom of higher blood pressure.

I want to talk intelligently with a provider about it, so knowing how much the training could raise the pressure versus hereditary factors might be helpful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you trying to say that you have elevated Blood Pressure?

And...you want to know how much training state can affect your systolic/disatolic numbers?

Not a doctor of any kind. So, I can't comment on anything specifically.

However, I also have had high BP and have taken medication in the past to control it. I no longer have high BP.

If I were you, the first thing I would do would be to get a decent BP baseline in a "normal" state. Take your BP every morning for a week or so, and take some time off training. See what your AM BP does as you recover from any lingering fatigue. Then resume training and continue tracking your BP. When I had high BP, I did this every day for the better part of a year.

That's going to give you better data about YOU, than general population statistics. Then you can have a more specific conversation with your primary care doc...and decide if you need to see someone with more detailed knowlege.
Quote Reply
Re: Contribution of over-reach on BP? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Are you trying to say that you have elevated Blood Pressure?

And...you want to know how much training state can affect your systolic/disatolic numbers?

Not a doctor of any kind. So, I can't comment on anything specifically.

However, I also have had high BP and have taken medication in the past to control it. I no longer have high BP.

If I were you, the first thing I would do would be to get a decent BP baseline in a "normal" state. Take your BP every morning for a week or so, and take some time off training. See what your AM BP does as you recover from any lingering fatigue. Then resume training and continue tracking your BP. When I had high BP, I did this every day for the better part of a year.

That's going to give you better data about YOU, than general population statistics. Then you can have a more specific conversation with your primary care doc...and decide if you need to see someone with more detailed knowlege.

The first two questions, yes.

That sounds logical. I think a problem was that I don't have a baseline, so need to establish one. Then from there, develop a plan with them.

I think a mistake may be also time of day. I read it at the peak time of day and also forgot I finished off a coffee 30min before. So, it is a good tip to track it first thing in the morning. I didn't realize that mattered at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:

The first two questions, yes.

That sounds logical. I think a problem was that I don't have a baseline, so need to establish one. Then from there, develop a plan with them.

I think a mistake may be also time of day. I read it at the peak time of day and also forgot I finished off a coffee 30min before. So, it is a good tip to track it first thing in the morning. I didn't realize that mattered at all.

Time of day matters. Body position matters. Amount of time "resting" prior to taking the reading matters. IIRC, the population norms that have been established for normal, pre-hypertension, hypertension, etc, were all established using morning readings after 5 minutes of quiet resting in a seated position.
Quote Reply
Re: Contribution of over-reach on BP? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duly noted.

I guess it isn't best then to have taken it 30min after my 2nd coffee of the day and a minute or so after climbing the stairs to get up there right at the peak time of day for activity.

Ooops.

Either way, buying a meter to keep at the house and take proper morning readings as instructed by the person here at our site. I'll keep a log. I may also log my peak during that time of day to see how the peak is. Then when done with those few weeks, present that as asked to the person seeing me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update:

Apparently I'm a moron and it's not our site provider's job to make sure that I'm not. When we took that reading the other day I had just come over for lunch and ran up the stairs. There wasn't any sitting/rest period really before. They didn't make me sit/wait for any period of time.

I ran out and bought the identical little $30 unit they have so I could try it out of bed, and later in the day, and track it for a while. I had them show me how to use it.

As I figured, doing the proper "5 min sit and rest" before makes a difference.

Out of bed 105/78 and after some AM coffee and a dentist visit with a stressful drive to work 117/78 at 10am.

Still going to track it as directed by the provider and come back in 3 weeks.
Quote Reply