Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Silca Nastro Aero Bar Tape! [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I haven't used tape on the extensions for years. It isn't necessary at all.

skateboard tape on the basebar.

Why wouldn’t you use tape on the extensions?

because I don't need it, I don't really like using things that I don't need.

Also, with my current bottle setup and bars, it would be more difficult to mount the bottle with bar tape there. It's a tight squeeze. but that isn't the reason I stopped. I just couldn't be bothered to put it on one time I was recabling the shifters (maybe I had run out, I forget). I went for a ride, everything was fine, and I didn't miss it at all.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: New Silca Nastro Aero Bar Tape! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use electrical tape to keep Di2 wires under control, since I have my shifters rotated so the buttons face down the wire takes a bit of an odd path. Electrical tape just keeps it neat. I then put a ~4 icnh long strip of skateboard grip tape on the outside top quarter of each extension to have something to push against, but honestly don't really find it necessary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

If you read the part you quoted, he already answered your question.
Quote Reply
Re: New Silca Nastro Aero Bar Tape! [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
mvenneta wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

because I don't need it, I don't really like using things that I don't need.

Also, with my current bottle setup and bars, it would be more difficult to mount the bottle with bar tape there. It's a tight squeeze. but that isn't the reason I stopped. I just couldn't be bothered to put it on one time I was recabling the shifters (maybe I had run out, I forget). I went for a ride, everything was fine, and I didn't miss it at all.

I'm still confused =)

Are you saying you just grip the bare bars and it's comfortable for you? Do your hands slip when sweaty?

I have a BTA bottle too, but the tape doesn't impact it for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, my hands don't slip because I'm not putting a lot of pressure on them. They're basically just resting there, usually with my hands over the shifters.

I don't have a BTA bottle. My arms are too narrow for one to fit, so I'm using the PRO aerofuel (I think its called that) system that mounts between the extensions. The extensions are mounted barely wider than the stem faceplate, so I have to slide the bottle into place from the extension tips.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
No, my hands don't slip because I'm not putting a lot of pressure on them. They're basically just resting there, usually with my hands over the shifters.

I don't have a BTA bottle. My arms are too narrow for one to fit, so I'm using the PRO aerofuel (I think its called that) system that mounts between the extensions. The extensions are mounted barely wider than the stem faceplate, so I have to slide the bottle into place from the extension tips.

If you like that setup, that's great, but if you'd prefer to use a conventional bottle it's really quite simple to raise the BTA bottle cage using long 5mm bolts and spacers of some sort. I've raised mine by about 25mm using plastic spacers and it works fine, but you should be able to get that size in up to 60-70 mm lengths. Given that most people's hands are a bit higher than their arms I don't there's an aero disadvantage to doing this. (I don't like to use proprietary bottles as I prefer to swap regular bottles than mess with refilling the thing on the fly.)
Quote Reply
Re: New Silca Nastro Aero Bar Tape! [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks Josh for details.. this makes a lot of sense
Quote Reply
Re: New Silca Nastro Aero Bar Tape! [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

If you like that setup, that's great, but if you'd prefer to use a conventional bottle it's really quite simple to raise the BTA bottle cage using long 5mm bolts and spacers of some sort. I've raised mine by about 25mm using plastic spacers and it works fine, but you should be able to get that size in up to 60-70 mm lengths. Given that most people's hands are a bit higher than their arms I don't there's an aero disadvantage to doing this. (I don't like to use proprietary bottles as I prefer to swap regular bottles than mess with refilling the thing on the fly.)

I like my setup pretty good. To run a BTA I'd have to use really long bolts because of my setup, the armrest spacers I have are over the extensions (old style Vision clip-ons). and I like the straw, I never have to move, just drop my head a little.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't use tape on the aerobars... No need. If I needed gripping power, there'd be something wrong.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: New Silca Nastro Aero Bar Tape! [Mario S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mario S wrote:
I use textured shrink wrap

I'm surprised more people don't do this. It is easy to fit and easy to get perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: New Silca Nastro Aero Bar Tape! [TIT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TIT wrote:
Mario S wrote:

I'm surprised more people don't do this. It is easy to fit and easy to get perfect.

Me too, looks great on the bike, grips well. Iv got it shrunk round my etap clicks. Perfect solution.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Zipp Vuka Evo Carbon extensions that are slightly textured. I find I have plenty of grip when needed but nice and clean for 99% of riding on the extensions whith limited pressure. I use Lizard skins on the base bar.
Quote Reply
Re: New Silca Nastro Aero Bar Tape! [Mario S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mario S wrote:
TIT wrote:
Mario S wrote:

Me too, looks great on the bike, grips well. Iv got it shrunk round my etap clicks. Perfect solution.
Cheap too. I bought 1m (40") for $15 delivered. That is more than enough to do all 4 bars.
Quote Reply
Re: New Silca Nastro Aero Bar Tape! [TIT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TIT wrote:
Mario S wrote:
TIT wrote:
Mario S wrote:

Cheap too. I bought 1m (40") for $15 delivered. That is more than enough to do all 4 bars.

Some folk just get a bone from the name Silca!!
Quote Reply
Re: New Silca Nastro Aero Bar Tape! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any updates on the Nastro Aero tape? Do you like it?

I'm tempted to give this a try but also curious about the Piloti or maybe even the Fiore. I'm coming from Lizard Skins and looking for something grippy, comfortable, and not too thick. Seems like the Nastro stuff should check all these boxes.

Also, has anyone ever actually tested whether tape thickness on the base bar impacts drag, and if so by how much? Of course thinner seems like it should be more aero, but here's a front view of my bike with 2.5 mm Lizard Skins on the base bar:

The Di2 brake levers are wider than and pretty much obscure the tape. Seems like 0.5 mm, 1.5 mm, 2.5 mm might actually test the same, similar to how a lot of people test the same with one or two bottles BTS.
Quote Reply
Re: New Silca Nastro Aero Bar Tape! [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People with large hands or long fingers.
Quote Reply
Re: New Silca Nastro Aero Bar Tape! [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any plans on other colors? Red for instance?
Quote Reply

Prev Next