Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best travel bag for a Cervélo P5D (Scicon/Biknd/BBA)
Quote | Reply
Hi Slowtwitch,

I recently got a 2020 Cervélo P5D, which unfortunately does not fit in my Thule Roundtrip Transition hardshell travel case. I therefore sold the Thule case and I'm looking for another travel bag.

The criteria I have in mind are mainly:
- the bag should work for both my TT bike (P5D size 54) and my road bike (Canyon Ultimate disc size M)
- I'd like to avoid removing the base bar of the P5D (only the monoriser/aero bars) and if possible not removing the Canyon's handlebar would be great
- something lighter than the Thule (almost 17kg/37.5lbs) would be nice
- good protection for carbon wheels

I'm considering: Scicon Aeroconfort Triathlon 3.0, Biknd Helium v4, and Bike box Allan).

Could you please give me your thoughts on those options? Ideally I would love to hear from P5D owners and how they deal with travelling.

Thanks!

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Re: Best travel bag for a Cervélo P5D (Scicon/Biknd/BBA) [captainolek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also got a P5 and currently using a big ass hard shell case.

Going to upgrade to the Scicon soon. Hands down looks like the best option for a tri bike

Chain reaction has them on sale for $329 too

Link: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...3kVrhhoC2OAQAvD_BwE#
Quote Reply
Re: Best travel bag for a Cervélo P5D (Scicon/Biknd/BBA) [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
Also got a P5 and currently using a big ass hard shell case.

Going to upgrade to the Scicon soon. Hands down looks like the best option for a tri bike

Chain reaction has them on sale for $329 too

Link: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...3kVrhhoC2OAQAvD_BwE#

I have a P5D and I use The Scicon aerocomfort and it fits perfectly but with new airline regulations I am looking at getting a new one. With American and Delta abandoning the bike fee for travel they have added a limited liability waiver for all bikes not in a hard case which makes them not liable for any damage to the bike. I would recommend sticking with a hardcase especially the bikeboxalan easy triathlon case.
Quote Reply
Re: Best travel bag for a Cervélo P5D (Scicon/Biknd/BBA) [captainolek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm upgrading to a Bike Box Alan shortly. I currently have the Scicon Tri 3.0 but on a trip back from a race I had the seat stays damaged pretty badly so had to send the bike to get repaired. I could have been unlucky as many others seem to have used it several times with no issues, but not looking to take that chance again so will upgrade to the BBA tri version.
Quote Reply
Re: Best travel bag for a Cervélo P5D (Scicon/Biknd/BBA) [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just watch out that some of the older Scicon bags use a frame mounting that isn't compatible with thru axles. I've had to replace my Scicon bag for this exact reason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This, hands down.....

https://www.evocsports.com/...ew-road-bike-bag-pro

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I have used a Biknd Helium 2 bike bag with no issues.

Btw, it is for sale if your interested.

Used twice, one to the event and once bag. Like new.

https://www.velonomad.com/...biknd-helium-review/

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Bkind and the newer Scicon Aerocomfort bag, both are good but the Scicon is really nice and involves less bike dismantling. I do sometimes unpack my P5D and the brake lever is twisted so I assume it took a hit of some kind, never any damage though.

That Evoc bag that the poster above linked is by far one of the better bags I've seen. I might have to look into that!
Quote Reply
Re: Best travel bag for a Cervélo P5D (Scicon/Biknd/BBA) [claude_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know a retailer in US/Canada that sells Bike Box Alan? I am interested in upgrading but the ÂŁ200 shipping price would be nice to avoid.
Quote Reply
Re: Best travel bag for a Cervélo P5D (Scicon/Biknd/BBA) [BGildenstern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not up to date on this, but I recall seeing recent threads saying there's currently no US/Canada distributor but that could have changed.
Quote Reply
Re: Best travel bag for a Cervélo P5D (Scicon/Biknd/BBA) [BGildenstern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not based in the US so not really worried about American and Delta liability changes :-) when you say it fits perfectly, what do you need to remove on your P5D?

Thanks

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What makes you go for the Scicon over the hard case you have? What hard case is it btw? Thanks for the link

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Re: Best travel bag for a Cervélo P5D (Scicon/Biknd/BBA) [claude_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting thanks. How will you deal with the weight difference between those two cases? Not an issue I guess if you are making that move. What about transportation? Does the BBA easily fit in a rental car for instance? That was quite a struggle with my Thule hard case

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Re: Best travel bag for a Cervélo P5D (Scicon/Biknd/BBA) [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - great option! Are you currently using it with your P5D? What you you have to remove so it fits in the bag? How does it compare to previous bags you've owned? Cheers

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Re: Best travel bag for a Cervélo P5D (Scicon/Biknd/BBA) [sorelegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great - thanks for sharing your experience! What do you have to dismantle with the Scicon bag? And with respect to what specs do you think the Evoc bag might be an even better solution? Thanks

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After many years of borrowing/renting, I finally splurged on a Scicon Tri 3.0 - man, what an upgrade. I'm 6"2 and don't even have to lower the saddle. Remove pedals, remove wheels, fit onto frame, slide wheels into the slots and close it up. The 3.0 has nice new wheels and a few quality-of-life improvements over the previous versions to make it worth the extra cost IMO.

Cons: Not the most protected case so I can't say I'm calm until I've unpacked my bike at the destination, but I usually pad it with a foam roller behind the seatstays and wetsuits, clothes etc inside as well.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
captainolek wrote:
Thanks - great option! Are you currently using it with your P5D? What you you have to remove so it fits in the bag? How does it compare to previous bags you've owned? Cheers

I’m using it for my P3X, and you only have to remove your pedals and wheels

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just remove the pedals and wheels. You can literally pack the bike in 5 minutes. The bag comes with some padded sleeves for frame protection but I add some pool noodles to other areas as well just in case.

With the new Evoc bag I just like the fact that the area that protects the handlebars is hard plastic. That area is a bit vulnerable with the Scicon bag in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Best travel bag for a Cervélo P5D (Scicon/Biknd/BBA) [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriSpencer wrote:

No need to remove the aero bars? My LBS suggested it would be better to dismantle the monoriser to avoid putting too much weight/pressure on it during transportation

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
captainolek wrote:
TriSpencer wrote:

No need to remove the aero bars? My LBS suggested it would be better to dismantle the monoriser to avoid putting too much weight/pressure on it during transportation

Nope, literally the pedals and wheels, that’s it

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you flown with the Evoc on Delta? Did you have to sign the limited release, or was it treated as hard sided?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriSpencer wrote:
captainolek wrote:
TriSpencer wrote:

Nope, literally the pedals and wheels, that’s it

I had similar question as previous poster. How did USA, TSA handle the EVOC bag that you linked? I read on line that it is an issue for TSA because to open the bag, you have to slide out in a couple places those reinforcing post things and slide them back in. It didn't sound easy at all for TSA to figure out and get it right. Which is why I went with Bike Box Alan and very happy with it and super easy for TSA.
Quote Reply
Re: Best travel bag for a Cervélo P5D (Scicon/Biknd/BBA) [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Have you flown with the Evoc on Delta? Did you have to sign the limited release, or was it treated as hard sided?

I’ve only flown with it on Southwest and it was fine. Additionally, it has a TSA approved lock, so I would imagine that is not a problem

Quote Reply