Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Seasoned triathlete gone vegan, now I tired all the time. [Zakalunce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zakalunce wrote:
Not sure if this is too late, but i wanted to maybe help a bit here.

I would agree that a plant based performance oriented diet isn't easy to maintain, but it is fully doable.
I have been plant-based for almost 3 years now and i can say it helped me quite a lot, I would argue that recovery with plantbased diet is much better actually and i always wake up ready to ride again, but you really have to think about hat you are eating.

Looking at few athletes I know who went plant-based, the process takes few weeks to get used to it, and it is always a process of experimentation and learning.
But once you have it right, its a bug improvement for performance, recovery, weight management and overall feeling.

If you still open to exploring some plant-based options, PM me. I can try to help with my experience and others i have worked with before.

What did your diet consist of prior to going "plant-based?"

Besides, what is plant-based anyways? Vegan? Vegetarian? Meat a few times a week?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Seasoned triathlete gone vegan, now I tired all the time. [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was pesceterian too actually, then i cut dairy then eggs and fish.

Plant based = Vegan.
Quote Reply
Re: Seasoned triathlete gone vegan, now I tired all the time. [Zakalunce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
holy shnikes batman

for what its worth, i eat a plant based, whole food diet, have been for about 6 years. when i went plant based my ibs nearly went away. i had more energy and felt better. i was better hydrated because the foods i was eating had a higher water content. all great things. i supplement b12 because my labs said i was a little low, but everything else is stellar.

you can't eat crap food and feel good. so to the OP, if you're lazy eating, you're going to know it. If you're lazy training...you will see it in your results. simple. I eat a TON of fruit, rice, beans, chickpeas, potatoes, fresh vegetables etc and i feel great. When i get lazy and stray into the breads, cookies, "burgers" and other things i start to feel just as crappy as when i wasn't plant based. I have gone through periods where i am eating non-vegan foods in this time, and i always seem to see my energy levels and overall feeling of wellness suffer.

and to all the shmo's who are gonna call me names because i don't like to drink cow lactations and eat chicken ass, tell me to my face at the finish line after i own your ass.

good luck to the OP and I hope you consider easy healthier meals like roasted potatoes and brussel sprouts, or rice and sauteed vegetables :)

Join us on a bicycle touring or backpacking trip at blazeadventuretours.com
Quote Reply
Re: Seasoned triathlete gone vegan, now I tired all the time. [dmiller430] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dmiller430 wrote:
holy shnikes batman

for what its worth, i eat a plant based, whole food diet, have been for about 6 years. when i went plant based my ibs nearly went away. i had more energy and felt better. i was better hydrated because the foods i was eating had a higher water content. all great things. i supplement b12 because my labs said i was a little low, but everything else is stellar.

you can't eat crap food and feel good. so to the OP, if you're lazy eating, you're going to know it. If you're lazy training...you will see it in your results. simple. I eat a TON of fruit, rice, beans, chickpeas, potatoes, fresh vegetables etc and i feel great. When i get lazy and stray into the breads, cookies, "burgers" and other things i start to feel just as crappy as when i wasn't plant based. I have gone through periods where i am eating non-vegan foods in this time, and i always seem to see my energy levels and overall feeling of wellness suffer.

and to all the shmo's who are gonna call me names because i don't like to drink cow lactations and eat chicken ass, tell me to my face at the finish line after i own your ass.

good luck to the OP and I hope you consider easy healthier meals like roasted potatoes and brussel sprouts, or rice and sauteed vegetables :)

I eat all those healthy foods you refer to as well, except I also eat lean chicken breast, turkey, fish, etc. I feel great for my workouts and recover as well or better than when I went vegan. I'm not sure why my meals would be seen as unhealthy as I eat 7 servings of meat out of 21 meals a week. I'm not out smashing burgers, pizzas, steaks, etc on the daily. The OP can do what he wants but his so called vegan diet is trash and that's why he feels like crap. Just because his diet has a label doesn't mean it's healthy.
Quote Reply
Re: Seasoned triathlete gone vegan, now I tired all the time. [dmiller430] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dmiller430 wrote:
. i had more energy and felt better

hmm your blog said you burnt out one year on this high almighty vegan diet.

I'm up for you race challenge...

Milk mile. Real bovine milk, not plant juices.
Quote Reply
Re: Seasoned triathlete gone vegan, now I tired all the time. [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
dmiller430 wrote:

You're a shitty troll...been plant based for 6 years....still think it makes me feel great...

Join us on a bicycle touring or backpacking trip at blazeadventuretours.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dmiller430 wrote:
synthetic wrote:
dmiller430 wrote:

You're a shitty troll...been plant based for 6 years....still think it makes me feel great...

Hmm.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Seasoned triathlete gone vegan, now I tired all the time. [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
dmiller430 wrote:
synthetic wrote:
dmiller430 wrote:

Hmm.

And then you wonder why people think you are a brick wall? That reply was just a passive aggressive troll post. It may amuse you but it isn't constructive or further the discussion. Surely we can talk about diet and nutrients without the jibes and insults.
Quote Reply
Re: Seasoned triathlete gone vegan, now I tired all the time. [Terryh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terryh wrote:
I was Pescatarian for a couple years and just went vegan a few months ago. I found my recovery is much slower now and my workouts have suffered from being tired. It feels like I've aged 10 years. I am tired at work, tired at home, I would sleep all day if I could. I put in about 12-13 hours a week training right now. At first I blamed it on the cold weather, being older, overtraining, maybe my body was fighting a cold, then maybe I was dehydrated. I've been taking Vitamin B12, B6, D3, Iron and a multi vitamin too. I switched from Whey Protein to Soy Protein too mix. Nothing helped much. Then I had a couple big stuffed Lou Malnatti's pizza slices the other night with lots cheese and I came alive and felt good immediately.

Granted, I am a VERY lazy eater. I hate to cook anything, I just microwave or I go out for meals. 70% of my at home diet are bagels, 24 grain bread, bananas, OJ, V8 juice, and cereal with soy milk. Cheese pizzas use to be my dinner 2-3 nights a week prior to going vegan. I cannot stand vegan cheese, it's disgusting, so that's not an option on a pizza for me.

I want to stay vegan. Is there a way to get my energy levels up and stay a Lazy Vegan eater?

I didn’t read all replies but has anyone suggested you might be deficient in sodium? Coming alive immediately after eating pizza, along with the rest of your diet, makes me suspect electrolyte imbalance.
Quote Reply
Re: Seasoned triathlete gone vegan, now I tired all the time. [twcronin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twcronin wrote:

I didn’t read all replies but has anyone suggested you might be deficient in sodium? Coming alive immediately after eating pizza, along with the rest of your diet, makes me suspect electrolyte imbalance.

seems unlikely ... roughly 2429mg sodium from these

bagel: 430mg sodium
soy milk: 124mg sodium
2x cheese pizza slice: 2x 565mg sodium
V8: 640mg sodium
bread slice: 105mg sodium

Edit: it could be that he just needed the calories/macros ...

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Last edited by: plant_based: Jan 17, 20 18:08
Quote Reply
Re: Seasoned triathlete gone vegan, now I tired all the time. [Terryh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terryh wrote:
I was Pescatarian for a couple years and just went vegan a few months ago. I found my recovery is much slower now and my workouts have suffered from being tired. It feels like I've aged 10 years. I am tired at work, tired at home, I would sleep all day if I could. I put in about 12-13 hours a week training right now. At first I blamed it on the cold weather, being older, overtraining, maybe my body was fighting a cold, then maybe I was dehydrated. I've been taking Vitamin B12, B6, D3, Iron and a multi vitamin too. I switched from Whey Protein to Soy Protein too mix. Nothing helped much. Then I had a couple big stuffed Lou Malnatti's pizza slices the other night with lots cheese and I came alive and felt good immediately.

Granted, I am a VERY lazy eater. I hate to cook anything, I just microwave or I go out for meals. 70% of my at home diet are bagels, 24 grain bread, bananas, OJ, V8 juice, and cereal with soy milk. Cheese pizzas use to be my dinner 2-3 nights a week prior to going vegan. I cannot stand vegan cheese, it's disgusting, so that's not an option on a pizza for me.

I want to stay vegan. Is there a way to get my energy levels up and stay a Lazy Vegan eater?

It's hard to be healthy and be vegan, especially if you don't want to spend a lot of time buying and preparing your own food. Look at what your eating, no animal protein and highly processed low nutritional quality "vegan" food.

Are you sure those bagels, pizzas, and other bread products aren't being made with eggs? You're probably also consuming a lot of seed oils in those products. Seed oils are terrible for your health. Cheap seed oils are even used in your Vitamin D3, check the back of the label, you'll be surprised. It'd be nice if they used a healthy oil like coconut or olive to bind the Vitamin D, but they don't.

You'll probably feel a lot better if you stick to whole, real foods. Stay away from junk, highly processed foods, which also means you're going to have to cook a bunch of your own meals.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Seasoned triathlete gone vegan, now I tired all the time. [Woundup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Woundup wrote:

It's hard to be healthy and be vegan
no, it is not.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply

Prev Next