Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is the LBS P3X discount worth it?
Quote | Reply
Been looking at tri bikes and upgrading from my old SuperSix to a real tri bike. Specifically looking at the P3X/PX, P5 disc, Shiv disc (although can't seem to find local dealers of this), Quintana Roo PR Four/Five (probably the four with a bunch of aftermarket stuff), and Felt IA Disc. Today I got a surprise email from my LBS that Cervelo is offering them a discount on the P3X asking if I'd be interested. Which I am in part, however there are reservations around the P3X (weight, non-sram axs option, non-UCI legal which isn't super concerning but would limit the race options potentially, would want the PX cockpit for breaking down if needed, etc).

So, would you get a P3X at 25% off or is it still not compelling at a lower price point?
Quote Reply
Re: Is the LBS P3X discount worth it? [Meraki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
P3X for $6,000. No brainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go to the shop and ask for 40% off and work from there.

If you can pay with cash, ask for no sales tax too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
25% off is a hella of a deal
They aren’t making much money on 25%off they must need cash flow or it’s a bike sitting on the floor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why dont you tell me what bike shop this is and ill give them a call and negotiate for you? :-D

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meraki wrote:
Been looking at tri bikes and upgrading from my old SuperSix to a real tri bike. Specifically looking at the P3X/PX, P5 disc, Shiv disc (although can't seem to find local dealers of this), Quintana Roo PR Four/Five (probably the four with a bunch of aftermarket stuff), and Felt IA Disc. Today I got a surprise email from my LBS that Cervelo is offering them a discount on the P3X asking if I'd be interested. Which I am in part, however there are reservations around the P3X (weight, non-sram axs option, non-UCI legal which isn't super concerning but would limit the race options potentially, would want the PX cockpit for breaking down if needed, etc).

So, would you get a P3X at 25% off or is it still not compelling at a lower price point?

I would prefer Di2 to AXS in general, the handlebar is an upgrade option, non UCI is of basically zero concern, etc.

No brainer. It's a very good bike for that price. I assume the Ultegra Di2 option is what's being offered?
Quote Reply
Re: Is the LBS P3X discount worth it? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>I would go to the shop and ask for 40% off and work from there.

>If you can pay with cash, ask for no sales tax too.

I doubt 40% would fly, but once I find a bike I'll likely work with the shop to get some discounts on it. The cash option is an interesting one I can try to explore, but I suspect that won't work either. Definitely worth trying both though.

>They aren’t making much money on 25%off they must need cash flow or it’s a bike sitting on the floor.

It's direct from Cervelo, not my LBS itself offering the discount. So it's not sitting on their floor or needing cash flow from what I can tell.

> why dont you tell me what bike shop this is and ill give them a call and negotiate for you? :-D

They should have more than one :)

>No brainer. It's a very good bike for that price. I assume the Ultegra Di2 option is what's being offered?

I haven't confirmed spec, but believe it would be the $8k Di2 option (although it could be any P3X build as well as long as I told them up front the specs and they could get it in the order)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are correct, since it is a Cervelo deal, they won't do 40% off.

If a bike shop is in desperate need for money to pay a bill or payroll, it is possible that they would do 40% off on a bike that they have in stock. You never know until you ask.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A local bike shop here in Canada has a few P5X's for sale for pretty much 50% off. There are a few build options (demos) and framesets.

Not sure on the practicality of shipping / buying from Canada for you (wherever you are), but here is a link to the bike shop.

http://www.wheelsofbloor.com/specials/
Quote Reply
Re: Is the LBS P3X discount worth it? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
If a bike shop is in desperate need for money to pay a bill or payroll, it is possible that they would do 40% off on a bike that they have in stock. You never know until you ask.

I'd imagine only if they're way behind on the invoice OR about to be dropped by Cervelo/have been dropped.

I find your attitude towards this very disheartening. When you get a discount you are taking money directly out of the owners' pocket.

Yea, a few percent here and there every once in a while isn't harmful but the attitude that you have all the leverage and are owed a massive discount is a reason why LBS are struggling.

In this instance Cervelo is offering the deal to dealers to offer to customers, so the price (bottom price) is set.
Quote Reply
Re: Is the LBS P3X discount worth it? [smoore89] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
smoore89 wrote:
A local bike shop here in Canada has a few P5X's for sale for pretty much 50% off. There are a few build options (demos) and framesets.

Not sure on the practicality of shipping / buying from Canada for you (wherever you are), but here is a link to the bike shop.

P5x frames and completes were being blown out by Cervelo. Iirc only large frame sets left in Canada.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A P3x for $6k? Yes!

Shimano Uber Alles.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow that comes out to $3800 USD for the P5x frame. What a deal
Quote Reply
Re: Is the LBS P3X discount worth it? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Wow that comes out to $3800 USD for the P5x frame. What a deal

About right with smaller than usual margin for the store.

Not sure if cervelo has a 3rd party doing b2b in the US or not but it should have the same deal going.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's what i got my P3X for and they threw in the P5X Travel Case for free, which I ended up selling (already have a great bike bag) for a little over $550, so really ended up getting the P3X for less

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smoore89 wrote:

Yeah I saw this and couldn't resist just before Christmas. I was going to order the frame-set and part out my di2 over from my SC, but I sold my SC quickly and my friend wanted the di2, so I looked at the cost of buying ultegra di2 and slapping on some deep discount enves and by the time it was all said and done, it was cheaper to get the already built Demo Dura Ace from em. So I grabbed a medium. I would never normally get something this fancy but it was a "cheap" upgrade to discs and when its all said and done, I was only in the hole like a 3k for the upgrade. And thats CAD mind you. And thats upgrading to dura ace from ultegra 8050, with a case too.

It is a silly deal IMO. If you wanted to grab the frameset only, I offered a lower price than listed and they accepted so I guess they just need them moved. If you fit the remaining sizes and have some cash, I think its a no brainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Is the LBS P3X discount worth it? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you buy a car, do you not try to get the best price?
Quote Reply