Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by Administrator
Re: Exercise equipment/workouts for legs, can't run [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could actually probably still do sprints and even Olys quite successfully for quite awhile by just limiting your run volume, sticking to maxi cushiony shoes on a bouncy treadmill, and keeping pace mostly slow on the run, saving your hardest efforts for race day. If needed, you can even do pool run sprints to get your hip flexors in shape for fast paces - your legs should be sufficiently acclimated to the run impact even with low weekly slow mileage. I'm pretty confident I can do just this and maintain 90% of my sprint/oly run performance, and likely make up any lost deficit on the run by improvements on bike/swim.

Otherwise, for legs, cycling is def best for tri/du. Stairclimbers can be a very hard legit workout. Ellipticals or even the newfangled multimotion machines that are like fancy ellipticals can work as well if you go hard on them.

I'm younger than you but already preparing diligently for the day that my ankles shut me down (likely will be around your age.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Elliptical

Trained on one with no running before Meniscus surgery. Still raced pretty good
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runner66 wrote:
I had an MRI last year of my right knee and it was not good. I am 53, have scaled back the running to a few days a week, trails only, at a slow pace. I won't be racing any longer. I would rather preserve my knees and avoid a knee replacement when I am in my 60s. I ride the bike 3-4 days a week and strength train upper body.

I am looking for suggestions on working the legs that will not cause too much damage to the knees. Obviously cycling is excellent, but are there other exercises I should be doing? Box jumps are out, too much impact on the knees. Would body weight squats and deadlifts help, or should I avoid squats because of the bending?

You don't say what is wrong with your knee--arthritis? torn cartilage? I'm 56, had a meniscus tear that was shaved down, still have 85% of it. I waited several months to return to a rehab running program. I started strength training, not for my knee, but to strengthen the muscles/ligaments that can add support. I do squats (weighted), but don't squat as low as some, RDLs, Split Squats, etc. None are at a ridiculously heave weight (I weigh 100lbs), but I don't shy away from weight either. I believe it has helped immensely.

I did return to triathlon and running races. Started short distance stuff and have evolved back to IM and marathons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Elliptical and water running.

If you have access to an AlterG they are a great option (but few do). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qllqv8S_6QU

As mentioned, thick squishy shoes like Hokas and Nike React have been great for those of us with aging knees.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: Jan 10, 20 16:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aqua jogging would be a great exercise for you! Aquatics are always good for arthritis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swear by the rowing machine. I bet if you use that device, you will eventually be back to running. Its because it works the connection between the core (psoas and lower back) and legs/glutes/quads/hamstrings. Its just amazing. After a 4 year hiatus from running, I am able to run again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runner66 wrote:
I had an MRI last year of my right knee and it was not good. I am 53, have scaled back the running to a few days a week, trails only, at a slow pace. I won't be racing any longer. I would rather preserve my knees and avoid a knee replacement when I am in my 60s. I ride the bike 3-4 days a week and strength train upper body.

I am looking for suggestions on working the legs that will not cause too much damage to the knees. Obviously cycling is excellent, but are there other exercises I should be doing? Box jumps are out, too much impact on the knees. Would body weight squats and deadlifts help, or should I avoid squats because of the bending?

Not sure what the acceptable impact on your knees is, but advice for elliptical is good. The rowing machine is also an outstanding workout, it bends the knees a lot but is not weight-bearing.

Three other possibilities that haven’t been directly mentioned: classic style nordic skiing, jumprope (especially with a weighted rope if you want to increase upper-body engagement) and incline treadmill walking. Classic nordic skiing is an excellent all-body workout but engages a ton of running muscles, but can be seasonally limited (though there are rollers and ski machines). Jumprope is great for keeping quickness and eccentric strengthening of the calves, and has much less knee impact than running. Incline treadmill walking (or power hiking) is a great continuous aerobic activity, similar to the stair stepper.
Quote Reply