Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ankle microfracture
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,

After a bit of advice and support. I have been diagnosed with a talar dome OCD lesion (loose flap of cartilage in my ankle joint). I was told to stop running at the time of diagnosis (Nov 2019). Have continued biking and swimming but am now having a fair bit of pain/discomfort by the end of the day.

I have seen an ankle surgeon who has recommended that I have a microfracture procedure which, given the location of my injury, would necessitate breaking my tibia to gain access.

This seems pretty scary and from what I've read microfracture doesn't have a great long term outcome. I just don't know if I want to go through such an ordeal and protracted recovery (12 weeks on crutches and that's just the beginning!), for what could be very little pay off. On the other hand, I am 31 and don't want to be in pain for the rest of my life.

Anyone been in a similar position? Any advice or just support would be so appreciated. Thanks for listening.

E
Quote Reply
Re: Ankle microfracture [Esme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you seen a PT about it?

ART, MDT, DNS, MPI, FST
Quote Reply
Re: Ankle microfracture [Esme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get another opinion, I've treated 100s of OCDs and microfracturing doesn't have the greatest success. Also if they have to break your tibia to get to it and are still only going to microfracture it, I would definitely be leary. Have you tried injections? Stem cell injection could be a good non operative alternative.
Quote Reply
Re: Ankle microfracture [tri_big_boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A physio? No. I've seen an ankle surgeon and two sports doctors (the Drs were pretty clueless when it came to surgical options and didn't seem to have any better suggestions).
Quote Reply
Re: Ankle microfracture [sbraz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for your reply. You're a surgeon? No-one has yet offered me an alternative- I know my options from reading extensively about the condition. I like the idea of DeNovo- do you have much experience with that? Or happen to know if it's available outside of the States?
Quote Reply