Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Finally real life application of tri ability. Stolen bike recovery
Quote | Reply
We have a Facebook group that monitors stolen bikes. As my job as bike messenger, gives me opportunity to be on look out n my shitty jamis roadie with Tannus tires. Noticed a guy go to a bike shop with felt b12 , trying to sell it where shop owner didn't want it. As he was leaving I followed yelling drop the bike and you are free to go (he had a dagger on him. I once was stabbed trying to get my personal bike back). It was raining, and guy started taking off. Like a scene from the movie premium rush I gave pursuit. He took more risks almost getting creamed blowing red lights of 3 lane 1 way streets. The chase was on for 4 miles before he tired out.... Where I had the police on phone. Realizing they would eventually come, he walked away from the bike. Just gave bike back to owner this morning. For me it was a self birthday present, no material object could have given me such an adrenaline rush like that chase.
Last edited by: synthetic: Jan 10, 20 9:15
Quote Reply
Re: Finally real life application of tri ability. Stolen bike recovery [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
We have a Facebook group that monitors stolen bikes. As my job as bike messenger, gives me opportunity to be on look out n my shitty jamis roadie with Tannus tires. Noticed a guy go to a bike shop with felt b12 , trying to sell it where shop owner didn't want it. As he was leaving I followed yelling drop the bike and you are free to go (he had a dagger on him. I once was stabbed trying to get my personal bike back). It was raining, and guy started taking off. Like a scene from the movie premium rush I gave pursuit. He took more risks almost getting creamed blowing red lights of 3 lane 1 way streets. The chase was on for 4 miles before he tired out.... Where I had the police on phone. Realizing they would eventually come, he walked away from the bike. Just gave bike back to owner this morning. For me it was a self birthday present, no material object could have given me such an adrenaline rush like that chase.

I mean, isn't that pretty much your MO? /halfpink

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Finally real life application of tri ability. Stolen bike recovery [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMHO I think the bike theft stuff could be resolved for more expensive stuff by utilizing a title system like cars. I know people hate the idea of registered bikes, but it would be only thru the manufacturer. Like a mfg network of titles for bikes. Opt-in system.

Want a more expensive bike, look for one that opt-in to the title system.

I'd just as much buy a China made fake before buying something that could have been stolen (no papers, no receipts).
Quote Reply
Re: Finally real life application of tri ability. Stolen bike recovery [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:

I mean, isn't that pretty much your MO? /halfpink

I know how to do it better. I let cars pass and go around the back of them. He may have had slight time advantage going blindly, so I had to sprint harder to catch up.

burnthesheep wrote:
IMHO I think the bike theft stuff could be resolved for more expensive stuff by utilizing a title system like cars. I know people hate the idea of registered bikes, but it would be only thru the manufacturer. Like a mfg network of titles for bikes. Opt-in system.

Want a more expensive bike, look for one that opt-in to the title system.

I'd just as much buy a China made fake before buying something that could have been stolen (no papers, no receipts).

Theft is big here, many chop shops. Serial numbers easily scrubbed off. There is a national bike serial # registry (optional). To recover the bike from police, you better know your serial #
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're a badass, keep up the good work

And hook up a gopro, I want to watch some bike chase footy lol
Quote Reply
Re: Finally real life application of tri ability. Stolen bike recovery [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
You're a badass, keep up the good work

And hook up a gopro, I want to watch some bike chase footy lol

I'd love too but that goPro would get stolen . thieves steal parts too... Had bike computer stolen 2 months ago but it's those old school cateyes so just $20 (work near sky scrapers so watch Gps not ideal)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too bad you can't apply that kind of zeal and passion to your racing life or you'd be a somebody :)

Quote | Reply
My triathlon abilities don’t include taking down knife-wielding competitors. How do you train for that? Are you self-coached or is there someone who focuses on that type of training with their athletes??

No, seriously, though, well done!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did the owner buy your story or assume you were the original thief and couldn't offload the bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Finally real life application of tri ability. Stolen bike recovery [erik+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
erik+ wrote:
Did the owner buy your story or assume you were the original thief and couldn't offload the bike?

Owner is someone in my wife's work out group..
Quote Reply
Re: Finally real life application of tri ability. Stolen bike recovery [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Col. Erran Morrad is the guy you want....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkXeMoBPSDk

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You sir are the man!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Were you wearing a trucker hat?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply