Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swim tips needed
Quote | Reply
Hey experts,

need some advice for the swim, looking for recommendations of online coaches or drills/techniques that can help me as i have hit a plateau.

I am an 2x ironman triathlete, and have swam 1hour within 30secs for both of them however i went a bit to hard in both of them i would say.

in the pool i swim 15km/week roughly and nearly all of my training is done at 1:44/100meters which is a very comfortable pace. I recently tried to do a 1000meter time trial long course to see where i would be and i only managed to swim at 1:30 pace and was completely gassed out despite swimming this in the ironman pretty much for far less effort.

I believe i struggle with the kick or maybe stability because when i swim with a pull bouy and ankle band i usually swim 5s/100m quicker and it feels far easier. then when i go back to swim freestyle i stuggle and feel un-coordinated.

if anyone has advice on what i might be doing wrong that would be great, or where i can look to find some tips i would greatly appreciate.

sorry dont have any footage of me swimming, my pool wont allow cameras
Quote Reply
Re: Swim tips needed [LordFarquuad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LordFarquuad wrote:
Hey experts,

need some advice for the swim, looking for recommendations of online coaches or drills/techniques that can help me as i have hit a plateau.

I am an 2x ironman triathlete, and have swam 1hour within 30secs for both of them however i went a bit to hard in both of them i would say.

in the pool i swim 15km/week roughly and nearly all of my training is done at 1:44/100meters which is a very comfortable pace. I recently tried to do a 1000meter time trial long course to see where i would be and i only managed to swim at 1:30 pace and was completely gassed out despite swimming this in the ironman pretty much for far less effort.

I believe i struggle with the kick or maybe stability because when i swim with a pull bouy and ankle band i usually swim 5s/100m quicker and it feels far easier. then when i go back to swim freestyle i stuggle and feel un-coordinated.

if anyone has advice on what i might be doing wrong that would be great, or where i can look to find some tips i would greatly appreciate.

You pretty much answered the core of your question right there.
Last edited by: lightheir: Jan 10, 20 6:07
Quote Reply
Re: Swim tips needed [LordFarquuad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you get help from a coach for your swim technique, DO NOT get help from an "online coach". You absolutely need to get technique help in person, from someone in the flesh. How to find and select a smart in-person swim technique coach? Here are a few suggestions (short read):
https://darkspeedworks.com/blog-swimcoach.htm

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Swim tips needed [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
LordFarquuad wrote:
Hey experts,

You pretty much answered the core of your question right there.

It sounds like most of your swim training is at a steady effort. Do you do intervals? I got to the pool late this morning and had to sit for around 15 minutes to wait for a lane spot to open. One thing I noticed that there was only one out of 12 people swimming doing a structured swim. Everyone else was just slowly plodding along.

I'm far from a good swimmer (1:04 IM PR), but rarely swim any longer than 400-500 yard intervals. Over the past few months virtually all of my intervals have been 50-200 yards. As the race season gets closer I'll incorporate longer sets and eventually some open water swimming.

I'd bet that with a bit of structure and faster overall swim intervals you'd do very well. You'd come out of the water sooner, but also in a less tired state due to increased swim fitness.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Swim tips needed [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
I got to the pool late this morning and had to sit for around 15 minutes to wait for a lane spot to open.

Is circle swimming not allowed? You can jam 20 people in each lane. Just ask my old coach.

To the OP: you need to find somebody faster than you and chase them. It can be a stranger in the next lane over. Just find somebody you have to bust ass to keep up with. I always hope to be in a lane next to a speedy kid because my ego thinks I can beat them but my body isn't there so I self-impose all this pain on myself to keep up and then I slowly get faster.

You can't get faster at swimming unless your arms turn to rubber, your lungs explode, you see those star things in your head at the end of a set, and you feel like all the energy has dissipated from your body. Do that 2-3x per week with 1 recovery swim day.

You have to work hard for speed.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply