Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Is there a Mountain Bike thread? [Sulliesbrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sulliesbrew wrote:
Texas has a great mtb series. The fall series is the marathon series. The spring is XCO style racing. Don't know what part of Texas you are in, but there is a lot of great riding across the state.

https://www.tmbra.org/
i want to give you a hug right now.

i live over in the beaumont, east of houston. there is NOTHING in our area... the terrain is not conducive. i have to travel for an event but i dont mind at all.

thanks!!!

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a Mountain Bike thread? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Another question for y’all, should I just ride flat pedals for awhile?

No. Assuming you're already comfortable riding clipless from road riding there's no need to start out on flats, especially if you're doing mostly XC riding and racing. If you get in trouble your first instinct will likely already be to unclip, and MTB pedals are pretty easy to unclip from. You're going to fall once in while either way, but my guess is you'll feel more comfortable clipped in than on flats.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a Mountain Bike thread? [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would counter this slightly, learn how to bunny hop on flats, at a minimum.

I ride flats on my fat bike, and wear hunting boots while riding in the snow. The speed is much less, but I don't feel disadvantaged on flats. Come summer I will be rolling clipless though.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a Mountain Bike thread? [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
Sean H wrote:
Another question for y’all, should I just ride flat pedals for awhile?

No. Assuming you're already comfortable riding clipless from road riding there's no need to start out on flats, especially if you're doing mostly XC riding and racing. If you get in trouble your first instinct will likely already be to unclip, and MTB pedals are pretty easy to unclip from. You're going to fall once in while either way, but my guess is you'll feel more comfortable clipped in than on flats.

I disagree. I feel strongly that a period of riding on flat pedals that are good (not those plastic shits) will ingrain better riding fundamentals than going right to clip ins (even if you are used to them).
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a Mountain Bike thread? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The obvious answer is to have both and keep a wrench/appropriate shoes in the car. Take a lap with one and then with the other.

If you want to session features at the beginning while you are fresh maybe pick the flats. Then go back to the car, fill up your water, and change to the clips to bust out hot laps. Eventually you'll feel good and settle into clips but on those first fast corners the ability to put a foot down is confidence inspiring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great excuse to come up North https://elementracing.ca/xterra-sleeping-giant/
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a Mountain Bike thread? [triordie1994] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
🤔🤔
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
guaranteed to punch your ticket to ITU or Xterrra worlds.... we usually can't give those slots away ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well the bike came in while I was out of town on a training camp with my cycling club. Was able to take it out on just an easy spin along the bayou and on a dirt road. I can already tell I'm going to love this. It was the perfect way to go for an easy spin. No cars, no stress, didn't even really have to get dressed up for it. Just lovely. Can't wait to get it out on real trails.

So I've got flat pedals on it now, and that was fine, but I'm definitely going to pick up some clipless soon. Felt very unnatural after all the time I've spent clipped in. I'm sure some purpose built shoes would help that but I think I'd rather just put that money into some clipless pedals.

Question for y'all. The front shock has the ability to lock out via a button on the handlebars. But it's located right where I was assuming I'd put the dropper post button. Who has both of these on the handlebar and where did you put each?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Well the bike came in while I was out of town on a training camp with my cycling club. Was able to take it out on just an easy spin along the bayou and on a dirt road. I can already tell I'm going to love this. It was the perfect way to go for an easy spin. No cars, no stress, didn't even really have to get dressed up for it. Just lovely. Can't wait to get it out on real trails.

So I've got flat pedals on it now, and that was fine, but I'm definitely going to pick up some clipless soon. Felt very unnatural after all the time I've spent clipped in. I'm sure some purpose built shoes would help that but I think I'd rather just put that money into some clipless pedals.

Question for y'all. The front shock has the ability to lock out via a button on the handlebars. But it's located right where I was assuming I'd put the dropper post button. Who has both of these on the handlebar and where did you put each?

Do you have a 1x? If so the you should have space on the left side for the dropper post.

Just FYI, dropper is amazing but the only places in Texas that I would have benefitted from one at an Xterra was Camp Eagle (not around anymore) and Cameron Park (definitely most technical). Most other places you can get back enough without need for a dropper - but they are nice to have.

If you are interested in getting in some starter rides feel free to PM me and I’ll send you contact details. Think your in SW Houston (I’m in The Woodlands) and we go to Double Lake and Huntsville pretty frequently as well Bluff Creek and Rocky Hill.

It is great fun.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:

Flats with appropriate shoes are the way to go especially if you want to learn the “right way” especially bunnyhops and jumps.

I got rid of my remote lockout for my fork. Personally when climbing I shift my weight forward and the resultant sag steepens out the seat tube angle which means on long climbs I can often remain seated when others have to stand. If your fork is set up correctly you shouldn’t really need the lockout IMO. Rear shock will depend on the kinematics of your bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a Mountain Bike thread? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love my flats. But I’m not that great on the bike so just jump off and carry anything close to sketch. There was one Xterra I did that part of the course was flooded out and it was a 100 yard stretch of chaos and very muddy people. Someone yelled that nobody was making it through but the pros - and me and my flats powered right through. Biggest cheer I’ve ever gotten at a tri.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You just cost me another $100 🤦🏼‍♂️😂. Got some five tens on the way.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a Mountain Bike thread? [Quo Vadimus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be great! Sending a pm...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would agree with those that say long term you want to be clipped in, but short term learning on flats will teach you better technique. Key is learning to drop your heels, which is a fundamental skill of mountain biking. In flat pedals you will learn to do it automatically so your feet don't get bounced off. Also, learning to pick the bike up and bunny hop in flats will engrained good technique. Longer term though, definitely get clipped in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats Sean! I’m doing Rock Dallas in Flower Mound, TX for the third time in May. The race is produced by Terra Firma Racing. Drop me a note if you want me to show you around Northshore (TX) trails.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have gotten back into Mountain Bike riding over the past 3 years. For me the best fitness seems to come when I ride my road, TT, and MTBS in thirds. There is a plyometric benefit to the MTB that is unique, but if you just ride your MTB like I did all last year, your ability to generate sustained power will suffer. I love the mountain bike and it is always my first choice now, it’s the only riding form that my wife and daughters want to do all the time too.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a Mountain Bike thread? [Ice789] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! And I didn't know about that race, so thanks for that too. I'll hit you up if I'm going to make it up there for that.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a Mountain Bike thread? [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I notice the same thing. Also, once you get tired on a MTB you start making mistakes and potentially falling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Overall advice- try trail running after biking. If I’ve fallen on the run worse than the bike. My husband definitely did a double take when I came in from the run all scraped up - when he had seen me fine heading out on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a Mountain Bike thread? [Justicebeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justicebeaver wrote:
I notice the same thing. Also, once you get tired on a MTB you start making mistakes and potentially falling.

I've also noticed the same thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a Mountain Bike thread? [Justicebeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justicebeaver wrote:

Oh yes. Self-awareness is important. Over Christmas I rode four days in a row at Jonathan Dickenson State Park. The last day about three hours in I realized I was getting tired and made the decision to head back to the car. While bypassing a feature I ate it lazily going around an off-camber turn, lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah buddy. In the fall I was doing laps at South Rockdale. No trouble with the creek crossing for like 4-5 laps. Last lap I started the turn a fraction late and clipped a tree. Wound up fully submerged!
Quote Reply

Prev Next