Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Painting a carbon frame
Quote | Reply
I know there are quite a few threads on this, but for those who have painted frames themselves...do you have any tips or advice?

I’m tossing around the idea of painting an old beat up, but functional carbon frame that I picked second hand. Outside of the paint (I’ve heard and read that spray.bike is pretty decent) any tips for sanding, waxing or applying clear coat?

Given that the bike isn’t worth much I’m not willing to go to a professional and spend more than the bike is worth for a paint job.

Thanks in advance.

John
Quote Reply
Re: Painting a carbon frame [Bremsstrahlung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it a naked carbon bike or with paint already on it?

If it already has paint on it, I took some very fine sand paper just to rough up the surface a bit without taking any large amount of paint off or sanding down all the way to the carbon.

From there, I used spray.bike and did 5 or so coats which was just to my satisfaction. They also have a clear coat which I haven't gotten to yet since it's now too cold to do any painting.

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be careful about the humidity level. I did the fork inside in a cool dry room and it came out great. The frame, because I hadn’t been able to avoid the mist floating around the room a bit, was painted outside on a summer day. That had a lot more tiny bubbles and it chipped much more easily. I was vaguely aware that that was a potential issue but I guess in a hurry to finish my project once I started I ignored it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My biggest piece of advice? Wear a high quality particulate respirator when doing ANY sanding ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply