Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The wetsuit effect
Quote | Reply
Hey guys, I am a novice swimmer and struggle a lot with my technique. I figure I should be able to make a lot of improvement at some point in time if I continue to work hard at it and swim A LOT over the next year or two. Like a lot of poor swimmers, I create a lot of unnecessary drag in the water due to a few mechanical flaws in my stroke. Staying horizontal in the water is very difficult and this slows me down a lot.

However I have been thinking lately about the difference between swimming in a pool during workouts and actual racing in open water. I have done enough wetsuit swims to know that it feels completely different than in the pool. All of a sudden I am on the surface of the water and am able to move forward more efficiently. While I am not trying to dismiss the need for developing a strong stable core in the pool, I am kind of wondering if it matters as much when I am swimming in a wetsuit in open water.

If I have pretty good rhythm and timing with my stroke and I develop a strong catch and pull, shouldn’t I be able to swim relatively fast for an age grouper? Basically I am wondering if I am just stressing myself out a bit too much with trying to get everything right in the pool. If you could pick out a few key components or a triathletes swim stroke that you feel are most important to swim relatively fast (let’s say 1.40/100) what would they be?

I appreciate any feedback

Thanks!!
Quote Reply
Re: The wetsuit effect [rbd32] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbd32 wrote:
Hey guys, I am a novice swimmer and struggle a lot with my technique. I figure I should be able to make a lot of improvement at some point in time if I continue to work hard at it and swim A LOT over the next year or two. Like a lot of poor swimmers, I create a lot of unnecessary drag in the water due to a few mechanical flaws in my stroke. Staying horizontal in the water is very difficult and this slows me down a lot.

However I have been thinking lately about the difference between swimming in a pool during workouts and actual racing in open water. I have done enough wetsuit swims to know that it feels completely different than in the pool. All of a sudden I am on the surface of the water and am able to move forward more efficiently. While I am not trying to dismiss the need for developing a strong stable core in the pool, I am kind of wondering if it matters as much when I am swimming in a wetsuit in open water.

If I have pretty good rhythm and timing with my stroke and I develop a strong catch and pull, shouldn’t I be able to swim relatively fast for an age grouper? Basically I am wondering if I am just stressing myself out a bit too much with trying to get everything right in the pool. If you could pick out a few key components or a triathletes swim stroke that you feel are most important to swim relatively fast (let’s say 1.40/100) what would they be?

I appreciate any feedback

Thanks!!

IMO, focusing on drag reduction is the single most important part of swimming adequately as an age grouper. Get that right in the pool, and open water with a wetsuit is a breeze.
Quote Reply