Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Building a lap pool - design questions [Flanny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gutters would help but it's the combination of being shallow, close walls, 7cm too long, slightly slower turns because the concrete edges are unforgiving of mistakes.
It doesn't matter, just means it's best not to compare to times at other pools.
Quote Reply
Re: Building a lap pool - design questions [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AJT - nice post

On this theme - re Ranomi, 4 years before london when she started working with Jacco she had talent, technique and natural power but she could not handle any work. 4x100 on 130 was beyond her capability. Jacco talks about this on his podcast with brett hawke. Top level talent with Ranomi being an extreme example, are just so much better than normal kids. They could swim in a 15m backyard pool and still be junior champions in the sprints.

200s and up different story.
Quote Reply
Re: Building a lap pool - design questions [nletmom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nletmom wrote:
Well I guess all I can say is WOW and WOW! I came here for help on the build for a lap pool and never not one time asked anyone opinion my MY daughter's swim practice schedule. To everyone who has an opinion on this, thanks, I guess. My 12 YO will be 13 in Feb. but I am guessing that won't be enough to stop any of these rude and off topic comments that I never asked for.

She will have to start 2 a days at the end of this school year because she will start highschool at that time. It is not at all uncommon for kids at this age, and even younger, to be doing swim twice a day. As for a local pool- if there was one, we would have done that. AGAIN- we are doing this because we do not want to take an opportunity away from her AND we do not want to get up at 4 am to get her there. That is not fair to her, or us. If she quits, then so be it. I can assure you all that you have wasted the same amount of money on your kids just maybe not in one lump sum, or on your own vices. We choose to spend this and invest in our daughter and will love her regardless. I will not reply to not one more rude misplaced comment about this. If you do not have something to add to my build please keep scrolling and no- I am not a troll!! I guess when you lose 12 babies and have to do fertility treatments to have a child, you stop at nothing to help their dreams come true. So troll- no, kick a@@ mom, heck yes! I will die for this child!

To the poster who mentioned the block- thank you for giving good and reasonable comments! I did not think about the fact that I really will not be able to help her with this technique wise and she is going to the club pool in the afternoons so you are right- a block is not needed more than likely- do you think it would be harmful though- I mean in terms of the part of the set where they jump from the block and she is timed- won't she need that for the time to be accurate?

As for her coach- I need to clarify- we have our club coach then we have an Olympic coach. The Olympic coach is from Egypt and is the one who suggested a 25 meter pool versus yard. Our club coach is just giddy we are even considering this.

Now maybe this will help me get the feedback needed which is why I posted. To all who are giving me good things to consider- please keep it coming. This is why I came and I appreciate you!

I noticed you're brand new here (signed up Dec 17th) Welcome. I still feel like a newcomer myself as a female even having signed up back in 2015. ST is notorious for having very opinionated responses at times. Many folks have been here for decades. It's a triathlete forum with many strong personalities and egos. I just think some of us are a bit overly passionate at times. It's forum for discussion and as one of the few regular female triathlete posters, I try to not take things too personally. It can be a bit rough and tumble here at times lol. It is just the culture here whether right or wrong.

I didn't find any comments requiring our moderators to intervene, but if you are going to share the information that you plan to have your 12 yr old doing double sessions every day, you will get some feedback and opinions whether you want it or not. Just focus on the information you need for your pool and weed through the rest. That being said, many people here have decades of experience in all matters swim/bike/run. So I would just keep things in mind and try not to be offended. Again I think it's great you are doing this for your daughter. And again, welcome. Always nice to have other women on the forum. Hopefully you stick around and are not just here for pool building advice.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Last edited by: Triingtotrain: Dec 21, 23 7:30
Quote Reply
Help from Monty on Pool design [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Hi Monty,

Looking for advise on pool design. It''ll be 75' by possibly 8-10' with a hot tub on one end. The design above was just a starting point and I think its too big. Thoughts on integrating a hot with the swim lane (maybe at one end? The design should be square as it needs a rectangular cover for code). Probably one swimmer most of the time occasional 2 or three may be in there.

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Help from Monty on Pool design [MCSLC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So it looks like the spa is in the middle of the pool and takes up half the width of the swimming lane?? IF I were you I would just make the pool and forget about the hot tub, and get a stand alone one if it is important to you. They are cheap these days, always on sale, and giving up half your lane is not really worth it.

But your dimensions are good, you can put a lane line on either side of it and have a wave spillover the lane line before hitting the wall. That gets you most of the advantage in the cheapest possible way. And if it is just you or one other, then it will be fine for your training..

Happy to go into more detail, just give me your thoughts on going forward..There are more mitigation things, but everything costs more of course..
Quote Reply
Re: Help from Monty on Pool design [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I'm thinking of separating the spa from the pool as suggested. It definitely will make things simpler. I'll post the next design/thought next week. Appreciate it.

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I'm guessing I should expand the lane to 7' at the stairs end... Probably will only be 2 -3 people swimming (MAX) at any one time so I'm guessing not to much wake and the other end is wide enough to not worry about it? Thanks for your input Monty.

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Help from Monty on Pool design [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It took a while, but the new plans are posted. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go that wide at least because you'll want a lane line that comes past the cabana edge so no one's crashing into a sharp corner if you're sharing a lane.

But that's easy for me to say, because it's your money not mine, lol...

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Last edited by: tallswimmer: Mar 8, 24 13:05
Quote Reply
Re: Help from Monty on Pool design [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great point- thank you!

Mike
Quote Reply

Prev Next