Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Harassed on Bike - Police not taking action
Quote | Reply

Based in London, UK FYI. Few months ago riding home from work one evening I was harassed while on my bike by a motorist. They actively turned around to go after me, swerving at me, speeding up and braking right infront of me. I told him I was recording (which I was) and after a short bit he drove off. I filed a police report once I got home noting I had video of the incident and noting their license number.

Recieved an email a week later to set up a meeting for the following week to give a statement and convey the video. I did so and assumed the matter would be dealt with as required. I was informed by the police over the holiday break that they finally reviewed the video however they could not prosecute because they did not file a 'Notice to Prosecute' within 14 days of the incident. Had I known such a statue existed I certianly would have put more pressure on the police to follow through immedately.

It seems ridiculous that I did what was asked of me (in the time requested) but nothing will be done because they did not notify the individual in those 14 days. Are there other options here? I realize the Met Police have many crimes to deal with but this seems to be lazy. They didnt even set the meeting for statement and video until a day before their own required notifcation period ended.

I'm not expcting the guy to be thrown in solitary but figured it should be carried through given how they went out of their way to chase after me.

Thoughts?

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Re: Harassed on Bike - Police not taking action [xcrogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ask tp speak with a Supervisor and explain your concerns, if you're still not satisfied file a complaint with the Office of Professional Standards. It's been a substantial amount of time since i've dealt with NIP's so i'm not going to comment on the technicalities around that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thoughts?

Ridiculous law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would just accept this as a lesson.

You are fine this time. (thankfully!)
And now you know the law for next time.
Spread the word far and wide in the UK about the time deadline.
Brexit and get laws that work better or worse I have no idea which side is right...oh wait...you guys are on that!

Glad you are safe. Don't let the simmering fear turn to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

Hopefully this road rager is not a serial offender.
Quote Reply
Re: Harassed on Bike - Police not taking action [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I totally agree, I'm not angry and in the scheme of things I'm ok so have moved forward.

I just want to make sure I (or the police) arent ignoring an obvious solution. My main concern would be/is that the person does something like this again and someone gets hurt and this could possibly establish a history. I'm certinaly making others aware of the 14 day window!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So why does the 14-day NIP apply in this case, because it's considered a traffic offence? Clearly if you'd been physically assaulted or worse, the 14 day NIP wouldn't apply.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Post the video here if you like. Would be good to see.
What were you recording with? Cycliq?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thankfully you're fine. I cycle to work on a daily basis in the UK, just a few miles. The number of times I get passed very close and/or very fast is ridiculous. I recorded dates, times and number plates from the passes I felt uncomfortable with (which is way less than the number of illegal passes) and still got over a hunderd of those in a few months. I though about sharing them with the police in hopes they would monitor the road once in a while. I haven't done that, and stories like this don't give me much confidence they will want to do that anyway.
Must be nice to have a job where you can just not do something for 2 weeks and then your problem is gone. Sad it has come that far. Hopefully if the guy does it a next time, your incident can be amended to it though.
Quote Reply
Re: Harassed on Bike - Police not taking action [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
Post the video here if you like. Would be good to see.
What were you recording with? Cycliq?
Yeah, post it on YouTube, seriously. Most likely nothing will come of it but you never know.
Quote Reply
Re: Harassed on Bike - Police not taking action [alfonso132] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tough to get around a statute of limitations.

However petty it may seem, the civil option is there. Even if to just pay your way to exert some annoyance on the person.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure how the laws of UK are written. In the US, the police has no duty to any individual. The police has full discretion on what they respond to and how they respond to any request. A police officer cannot be found at fault for "failure to act". Aka. they can tell you that they don't feel like taking action on the request and they'd be in the right.

If UK laws are similar (which seems quite likely), and since you weren't harmed. I don't think there's anything to worry about in this case. It's what it is.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Jan 7, 20 11:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask for written confirmation that they have left the matter on record as a note. I would insist they at least speak with the driver he has likely done it before,

Then I would post it on Jeremy Vines twitter page. Those type of videos tend to go viral and he also has links with Sadek Khan!
Quote Reply
Re: Harassed on Bike - Police not taking action [SheTries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have a follow up discussion with the officer tomorrow and will bring these topics up (plus a few discussions I've had with bike oriented lawyers). Once I feel that avenue has been pushed as far as possible I'll certainly put the video online.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Taylor:

If you're on Twitter, I'd suggest contacting a London guy with the handle @MikeyCycling. He spends a lot of his time recording drivers on cell phones, being aggressive, etc. and reporting them via something called the "Met Online System." Videos submitted are reviewed by a police officer and tickets generated if the offence is clear and the driver or license plate are visible.

Good luck!

"It's Ironman - it's supposed to be hard!"

Author of "Letters to a Driving Nation: Exploring the Conflict between Drivers and Cyclists." http://www.brucebutler.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Harassed on Bike - Police not taking action [BigfootCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Officer has yet to call as he said he would. Will be filing a complaint through the MET police on the handling of the situation. Be safe out there.

Here is a link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=youtu.be

Black Mercedes, registration: HGZ 1846

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They made the first error in intruding on your right of way while waiting to turn. However, I can't help but wonder why you escalated the situation in the first place by harrasing the driver and calling them an "idiot"? Clearly an aggravating, provoking, and unecessary move on your part. Not sure what you expected to get out of that. Having said that, I'm glad you weren't hurt in the subsequent exchange.

Just be reasonable and safe out there people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hit and run causing serious injury (in the UK) and the police refuse to take action. Mom then takes over the investigation and within hours has clear CCTV footage of the incident. The police response is to issue a ÂŁ600 fine. Unfortunately this has become the standard modus-operandi and do you have a 0% chance of the police taking your case further.

The reality is that the UK police force has been put in a situation where they have to dedicate vast resources to dealing with public mental health problems. Once you add violent crime, domestic violence and anti-drug efforts they have been stretched too thin.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/...amptonshire-51046448
Quote Reply
Re: Harassed on Bike - Police not taking action [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I commute to work everyday in london as well. Once I was riding back home in the dark with a child seat, bunch of teenagers on mopeds rode dangerously close to me, pinched my arse and drove off laughing as quickly as they could. It was very dangerous as I could have swerved into then and taken all of us down.

I suppose they tought I was a woman because of the child seat.

It is unfortunate that regular abuse and dangerous behaviour from drivers has become part of life for cyclists in and around london.
Quote Reply
Re: Harassed on Bike - Police not taking action [frenchieTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
frenchieTT wrote:
I commute to work everyday in london as well. Once I was riding back home in the dark with a child seat, bunch of teenagers on mopeds rode dangerously close to me, pinched my arse and drove off laughing as quickly as they could. It was very dangerous as I could have swerved into then and taken all of us down.

I suppose they tought I was a woman because of the child seat.

It is unfortunate that regular abuse and dangerous behaviour from drivers has become part of life for cyclists in and around london.

Teenagers... That’s what I’m afraid of. I barely ride in country road but when I do, I have to carry my handgun. Rural area is so remorse, you get no cellphone receptions and won’t see a single car passing by for an hour sometimes. I’m talking about Sat and Sun early in the morning. If teens passing, see my bike, assume it’s expensive, they can drive me off side of the road, throw the bike in the truck bed and drive off. I can’t let that happen so to have peace of mind, I have to carry and do have CHL.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. I've had worse happen to me several times. I'd probably just let it go. Continue to be careful out there.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Harassed on Bike - Police not taking action [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your right, the scheme of things the incident could have been far worse and I riding in the city this type of thing isnt unique. However, this was a first in that someone actively turned around went out of their way to continue to harass me.

My main concern/gripe is that when the police officer finally looked at the video he noted they could have gone after the offender but missed the window to notify them within the 14 day window. When I filed the report and passed the video along I thought a nominal cash penalty or possibly a point on the license. I did (or wanted to) believe something would be done. Not for my sake, but for the sake of someone in the future should it occur again.

As I noted, I put it on youtube so when someone googles the license plate the video is the first hit.

Also, in terms of me escalating the situation with my 'idiot' comment. Yes, in hindsight could have choosen my comment better, or not said anything. But in the course of the few seconds that I realized the driver was halfway out into the road and then pulling out more to block my way of going (when they had no place to go) it was what came to mind. They had to have seen me with my flashing lights, reflective jacket and neon helmet. They were doing something idiotic so I called them an idiot. Calling a spade a spade is not justication for to then threaten someone with a car.

I will (and have) continued to cycle to work and encourage others to do so. Its a wonderful way to start and end my day and no matter my state of mind I'm always happy when I'm on my bike. Yes, a cool head and taking the higher road is a good way to move on from these types of things (or ideally avoid all together). However, in a situation like this were someone is going out of their way to intimidate or harm someone else I feel, and will always feel, the need to speak up.

Quote Reply
Re: Harassed on Bike - Police not taking action [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
That was not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. I've had worse happen to me several times. I'd probably just let it go. Continue to be careful out there.

👍🏻
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sure the police in the UK are as under staffed and busy as most around the world and during the festive period would bring it's own challenges especially with office staff who may be processing things. No one was hurt in the incident so priority levels were most probably low and focused on more serious matters. If your not happy maybe get onto your local politician as knowing several police in my own country I know how busy they can be and people bringing in even less of a priority and often BS they have to deal with and process too. I understand why you would be upset but remember the police are dealing with the shit people in society that have have done this to you and often far worse but they don't get the praise they deserve only the negativity you are bringing on them now.
Quote Reply