Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? January 6 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? January 6 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! Hahaha! Finally, I'm first and not three days late.

I'm doing all right. Getting back to training after all the holiday disruptions and exhaustion. After missing some earlier workouts last week, I got back on track and did everything, including a 10k on Saturday that was around my (still slow) PR. I have a 10k every Saturday in January. Am hoping that will help whip my running into (marginally less slow) shape. My pool access currently sucks, but that will change soon. Meantime, my coach wants me to drop my CSS by 10 seconds per 100 yds. I think she thinks I held out on the time trial. Anyway, I made a grand attempt, and I nailed about half of my workout before I got kicked out of the pool.

This week, it's back to hitting work pretty hard. Oh cruel meetings. My workouts are:

M: 1 hr. bike (done!) and strength (not yet done!)
T: 50 min Swim, intervals at 9 RPE and bird dogs
W: rest!
Th: short, speedy run
F: swim and plank
S: 10 k, lower extremity strength work and lunges
Su: 1 hr. on trainer plus run

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dr TC - thanks for getting us started. How was your week?
Giant Newb - good work getting back to it!

My goals last week were to do Parkrun on NYD and keep on track for the 100/100 challenge. I achieved both of those despite my left glute and hamstring having a mid-week freak out. It's fine now so not sure what that's all about. Our stuff arrived on Saturday so we're in that awkward, surrounded by boxes stage again and we've spent a lot of time trying to fit our things into this new, differently configured space. We're also in a townhouse now rather than a bungalow so I have been doing a LOT of stairs.

This week: keep up the running; try and get to parkrun again this Saturday. Maybe I'll go wild and try a different location. Try and get to the pool to see what it's like. Clear enough boxes to have space to set up the bikes and trainers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy Tuesday Ladies!

Thanks for getting us started Dr. TC, I hope you've had a healthy week!

Last week's goal was recovery, and I kind of accomplished that. I had an FTP test on Thursday and that was miserable. My FTP has slid soooo far in the offseason. Miserable is also kind of a theme with how I'm feeling about workout out late. I'm still also at a very awkward place with my training program, because I'm not digging anything I'm doing, feel my concerns are not being heard, and am paying a lot of money for all of this. Which, bleh.

This week's goal: start running like I'm doing a half marathon in eight weeks (cuz I am)

M- 5mi run and strength
Tu- 10mi run
W- 2000yd swim
Th- 50min run and strength
F- 2100yd swim and 45min run
Sa- 2hr bike
Su- yoga

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? January 6 Edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You've made comments about your coach/plan a few times now. Can you re-evaluate the relationship? If you aren't getting what you want/need AND it's costing you $$$ it sounds like a lose/lose.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? January 6 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
You've made comments about your coach/plan a few times now. Can you re-evaluate the relationship? If you aren't getting what you want/need AND it's costing you $$$ it sounds like a lose/lose.

That's what I'm trying to do. The biggest thing I'm wrestling with is the fact that she used to be GREAT, on top of planning, communication, feedback, etc. Now she's slipped into the habit of just slapping a week's worth of training on my TP and not explaining the hows or whys. I had goals for the offseason (my first in over a year and a half the way my training fell), first and foremost to find some joy and relaxation in doing all of this, and none of them were met. That was the "having it out" chat with her when she was like "offseason is over! Back to work!". I feel like she is completely awash in trying to run a successful triathlon team AND her own world champion training, and doesn't have the means to make time for her athletes in the ways she used to. I don't do well with trusting disorganization, and I'm trying to come to grips with how to proceed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
edbikebabe wrote:

That's what I'm trying to do. The biggest thing I'm wrestling with is the fact that she used to be GREAT, on top of planning, communication, feedback, etc. Now she's slipped into the habit of just slapping a week's worth of training on my TP and not explaining the hows or whys. I had goals for the offseason (my first in over a year and a half the way my training fell), first and foremost to find some joy and relaxation in doing all of this, and none of them were met. That was the "having it out" chat with her when she was like "offseason is over! Back to work!". I feel like she is completely awash in trying to run a successful triathlon team AND her own world champion training, and doesn't have the means to make time for her athletes in the ways she used to. I don't do well with trusting disorganization, and I'm trying to come to grips with how to proceed.

Tell her that. It's honest and true for you. Things change in all relationships. Consider this your pep talk to deal with the issues and make the changes for a successful season. Now is the time!!! :P

Different sport, but my sister changed coaches a few months ago, and she is in a much better place now (especially mentally).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? January 6 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent pep talk! Future career as a life coach? ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? January 6 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade wrote:
Excellent pep talk! Future career as a life coach? ;-)

Now to turn those skills inwards and pep talk myself!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy New Year! thanks for getting us started, Dr. Tigerchik.

Last week was more of the same -- running swimming, a little biking, p/rehab, exploring ... but really mostly exploring! I'm thisclose to actually getting my trainer setup and getting back to real work on my bike. Probably. Maybe. But I did sign up for a half marathon at the end of February. Cupcake, if you want an 13.1 accountability buddy let me know.

This week, I'll swim three times, bike once or twice, and run five times plus my usual p/rehab and hopefully a yoga class -- this weekend I'm headed to volunteer at an adventure race. I usually race this event but just had a little too much going on to try to prepare for a multi-day, multi-stage race when I'm living out of boxes and in a new job and out of shape... will be great to see my crew though.

Hope the move is going well, Scheherazade -- from the 'gram you look way ahead of me. GiantNewb nice job getting back to it -- hope your cold weather shopping was a success.

Happy training!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello, everyone, and happy new year!

GN, glad to hear you are getting back into the swing of things and nailing your swims. Good luck on all the 10Ks -- that sounds like a fun distraction to keep you motivated through the January blahs.
S, hope you are settling into your new space! And finding new training adventures, of course.
Dr_C, sending you good thoughts for your coaching situation. It sounds like it's just not working for you anymore, and I hope you get some resolution soon.
TDS, the exploring sounds fun! What kind of adventure race will you be volunteering at?

Last week I did the split of first half of the week off, last half of the week back to real life. My husband and I ran a very cold 5K on New Year's Eve, but it was fun to end the year on a high note. Even though I had run the day before I couldn't resist running on New Year's Day when it was reasonable temps and sunny. I ended the week getting back into my bike-or-run-after-work routine and doing my usual longer training, grocery shopping, food prepping, etc. on the weekend.

I did run 10 miles on Sunday for the first time since February or so (!) and it started snowing HARD at mile 6. I couldn't see a thing, I was covered in wet snow, puddles were starting to form, my chin was frozen, but it was so ridiculous I HAD to keep going. I mean, I was already cold and covered in snow, so why quit early? When I got back, I was seriously regretting my decision the day before to not have so many extra calories in the house and NOT buy some apple cider... there is something about a nice, hot apple cider after a cold run! I had to settle for tea... boring.

A non-training, fun thing Sunday after my run was a friend's birthday party at a pay-one-price arcade. All of us senior citizens were dominating Pac-Man and Galaga and left the new shooter games to the whippersnappers, lol. It made running through a snowstorm totally worth it.

I hope you all are having a good week so far.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6 days of doing well then fell off the wagon last night and am mad at myself that I can't get out of this cycle. Humph.

Last week went pretty well, will update later. Not currently a fan of myself. Humph.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry about your stuckness Dr TC. What can we do to help push you through?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nothing, unfortunately, but it helps to just have written it here and be heard. Thanks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so sorry you're having a hard time with your coach! I imagine it makes this thing we're supposed to be doing for fun all full of anxiety and stress. And it's such an important relationship. Hope you figure it out.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? January 6 Edition [TwoDollarSteak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oi! I'm doing the NYC half on March 15.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? January 6 Edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
When I got back, I was seriously regretting my decision the day before to not have so many extra calories in the house and NOT buy some apple cider... there is something about a nice, hot apple cider after a cold run! I had to settle for tea... boring.
Alcoholic or non-alcoholic? Not important, just curious.

Quote:
goal this week is to keep doing healthy stuff! Had a pretty good week last week.

Doing ok, 6/7 I think.
I swam 6x for 7600 yds and ran 7x for 57 mi.

I know it's Thursday but my #1 goal this week is to keep doing healthy stuff (struggled Tues) and the second goal is to try and direct the workout energy toward stuff that makes me faster - I really make it up as I go along based on what I think will help me cope with my anxiety. And that's okay, but I'm also mildly bored.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
When I got back, I was seriously regretting my decision the day before to not have so many extra calories in the house and NOT buy some apple cider... there is something about a nice, hot apple cider after a cold run! I had to settle for tea... boring.

Alcoholic or non-alcoholic? Not important, just curious.

Quote:
goal this week is to keep doing healthy stuff! Had a pretty good week last week.

I enjoy both, but I don't have the stomach for a drink right after a run. I stick to the hot soft cider with a cinnamon stick right afterward (especially this time of year) and a cold hard cider later on with dinner. =)

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply