Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speedplay Zeros vs X Series
Quote | Reply
I recently purchased Speedplay Zero pedals and find them incredibly difficult to clip in. I haven't been on an outside ride yet, but I literally have to stand a stomp down in order to engage the cleat. Is this normal?

Now I'm not new to Speedplays. I have been using the X Series pedals for 15 years without any issues like this one. I thought I would give the Zeros a try because of the walkable cleat feature, but now I'm second guessing myself.

I lubricated the cleat, but didn't notice any significant improvement. Looking online, I see a few posts about the increased effort required to clip in, but they are several years old. What am I missing?

Thanks,
Brian
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay Zeros vs X Series [bpe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You likely have to cleat screws too tight. That is VERY easy to do. Zeros are a tad firmer than X but not much.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brother had a similar issue. He had the cleats screwed on too tight. Had to entirely remove the cleats for them to loosen up.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay Zeros vs X Series [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Switch to the light action vs. Zero's, my wife had the same issue going from the x's and had the hardest time getting clipped in and out. The light action is much easier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It gets MUCH easier over time. I had to clip /unclip around 30 times to kind of break them in. I just sat at home until it became easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you use a rocking motion (side-to-side) with your foot, it's easy to get in. No need for the 'light action' pedals. When I switched, 5 years ago, it took a bit of time to master it. But once you get the feel of it, it becomes automatic. I'd have to go try it now to be sure, but pretty sure I start on the inside with the open part of the cleat near the spindle then rock gently to the outside (and continue rocking if needed until you clip in).
Last edited by: BrianB: Jan 3, 20 16:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I switched to Speedplay Zeros for their aerodynamic benefits and I had the same issue of having a hard time clipping in. I installed myself and am not a knowledgable bike person or someone who reads instructions. Someone from my bike shop went riding with me and said "oh you didn't put the right shims on those for your shimano shoes." Apparently there are different plastic shims to make the cleat fit the shoe better. I switched those out and it's amazingly simple to clip in and out now.

I'm sure most people and you probably already know this but as someone who is bike stupid it was helpful so maybe theres someone else out there this will help!
Quote Reply