Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Compression Tights
Quote | Reply
I'm training for a marathon. As usual, my limiting factor seems to be aching/swelling knees starting at about mile 15. I suppose this is not too unusual since I'm over 50. In past marathons, I've dealt with it with liberal amounts of ibuprofen and biofreeze during the race. However, someone recently suggested running tights. I've never tried them before. Does anyone have any comments as to whether they help with knee pain?
Quote Reply
Re: Compression Tights [Celerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck with your marathon. I'd say give them a try. My knees are finicky but not terrible and I believe they help, especially in the longer stuff. I used them for the run segment of the Ultra 520 K triathlon I did a few years ago. Make sure you get some with a comfortable waist band because 3 or 4 hours of pain in that area is unnecessary. A good starting point is this: https://www.2xu.com/...1=Silver&start=1

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven’t felt a difference in knee pain or soreness when I run in tights BUT be careful with the fit. I have found that some tights can press on my GI track and disastrously lead to the runs...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Celerius wrote:
I'm training for a marathon. As usual, my limiting factor seems to be aching/swelling knees starting at about mile 15. I suppose this is not too unusual since I'm over 50. In past marathons, I've dealt with it with liberal amounts of ibuprofen and biofreeze during the race. However, someone recently suggested running tights. I've never tried them before. Does anyone have any comments as to whether they help with knee pain?

It helps a little, but I've found elastic knee braces to work much better. You can buy them at a drug store, on Amazon, etc. I've got a few different ones I've picked up over the years, they all work about the same.

Also, when they're really bad, I use lidocaine. It comes in a topical solution (like Biofreeze, but with lidocaine), or as patches. The patches are 5% if you get a prescription, or 4% if you by OTC. You can put one on (I've even done it in T1) and slap the knee brace over it and it'll stay on for a full IM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no difference that I have ever noticed. I use them because they fit me better, I have skinny legs, but as far as any decrease in joint pain the answer is no.
Quote Reply