Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What should a coach consider when constructing a personalized training plan?
Quote | Reply
I'm a software developer and as a pet project I've started working on a 'personalized triathlon training plan generator'.
A few of the input parameters that should go into creating a good training plan are obvious (race distance, time available), but what else should be considered?
Some that I've considered:
  • Race distance
  • Start and end date of the plan
  • Total volume level
  • Available time (per individual weekday)
  • Discipline priority (ie, I need to focus on my swimming)
  • Current level of fitness (how quick can the intensity/volume build-up be?)

Thankful for all input (pun unfortunately intended) :)
Quote Reply
Re: What should a coach consider when constructing a personalized training plan? [jockee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jockee wrote:
I'm a software developer and as a pet project I've started working on a 'personalized triathlon training plan generator'.
A few of the input parameters that should go into creating a good training plan are obvious (race distance, time available), but what else should be considered?
Some that I've considered:
  • Race distance
  • Start and end date of the plan
  • Total volume level
  • Available time (per individual weekday)
  • Discipline priority (ie, I need to focus on my swimming)
  • Current level of fitness (how quick can the intensity/volume build-up be?)
Thankful for all input (pun unfortunately intended) :)

did you see this thread? not that it's relevant, but it might be.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: What should a coach consider when constructing a personalized training plan? [jockee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would want a coach to consider
(1) injury history
(2) not just “current” (ie where do you sit today) but peak fitness in your life (and when that was) and volume/fitness for the last two years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you looking to do static plans or something that adjusts based on week-over-week training performance?

Generally, I'd also want to be able to put in current "best efforts" and race goals (time targets per sport) so the plan could have some checkpoints to see how I was actually progressing towards getting to my race goal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
abilities, limitations, goals

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will be difficult if not impossible to create a good software model on how to train if the best coaches and sports physiologists cannot agree on one. In fact, there’s no clear study to support the best way to train and periodize. Even with certain parameters such as sport experience, injury history...etc.

If it’s catered to beginners, then it’s much easier, formula is essentially: train as much as you can without burn out or injury.

A good place to do some research is on Alan couzen's website, https://www.alancouzens.com/, sports scientist, coach and computer scientist with plenty of experience and see how he uses statistics to model.
Last edited by: Rest: Jan 2, 20 8:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if these are too nebulous to work in a program generator, but some kind of scale that gives as accurate a look as possible into the athlete's Perceived Readiness to Train, and another for Perceived General Fatigue would be useful. For example:

Readiness to train:
1)"I'm calm, detached, process-focused and ready to master my sport."

5)"I've got a bunch of things on the go right now and my thoughts are quite scattered, but a more moderate session that I can completely own would work really well."

10)"Make the voices stop. They're telling me I'm a horrible person and I'll never be good at triathlon so why bother??!!"

General Fatigue:
1)"Muscles relaxed, steps springy, breathing deep and easy. Million bucks."

5)"Little bit of stiffness/soreness/slowness that goes away once I start moving."

10)"Feels like I'm aquajogging through tar after being run over by a road grader."

This might not be realistic for what you're putting together, but those two indicators, even if they're based solely on the athlete's perception, should help to make a given training program more effective. A little bit of humour written into the options might also get the athlete out of their own head and into a state where they can give a more honest answer.
Quote Reply