Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hitch rack safety PSA
Quote | Reply
Just saw this article about actual and potential safety issues with hitch racks and carbon rims and car exhaust (so I guess this doesn't apply to Teslas ... ). I can totally appreciate the convenience of hitch racks, but with carbon wheels, you gotta factor in other things. But I also wonder, if you just have AL-rimmed training wheels, the metal rims might likely handle the heat, but I wonder how prolonged high heat would affect the reliability of a clincher tire casing?

Article link:
https://www.bicycling.com/...-9acae7efe4-29132595

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Jan 1, 20 11:01
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch rack safety PSA [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. This makes me want to get a 90 degree exit pipe for my truck.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was a major issue with standard 250F curing epoxy resins with lower Tg (glass transition temp) in the early days of carbon wheels.

Now the higher Tg chemistries are less susceptible to this type of degradation in properties, but clearly it is still an issue.

I wonder if it isolated to the brands that aren’t using modified chemistries to keep down the cost of the resin.
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch rack safety PSA [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or maybe rim brake carbon rims are getting the better higher temp carbon resins, and disc specific rims are getting lower temp and cheaper resins ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To poor for carbon wheels anyway
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bet your right!

The use case for high temp resins for brake tracks (which also solved the hitch rack issue, which was a known problem) was probably forgotten.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back when I was a shop wrench ('90s/early 2000's), I used to see a lot bikes come in with damaged tires, in some cases noticeably burnt. These were almost always on bikes that were carried on trunk mounted racks, and when I'd look at the customer's car, often the tire was hanging within inches of the exhaust. Many of those racks allowed the tire to come closer to the exhaust than most hitch racks, but it still wouldn't surprise me if it did happen.

Along those lines, I discovered that when folded up, my Kuat Sherpa moves the inner rear wheel tray too close to the exhaust on my Santa Fe, and on a recent long drive the rear wheel tray and strap melted. When in use the tray is higher and farther back, but I currently have the riser/extender hitch on order...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply