Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Your 2020 relationship with alcohol [FasterTwitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FasterTwitch wrote:
Gratz on your sobriety. I quit drinking Jan 5th, 2020. Next week is my 1 year mark. I couldn't do it on my own. Had to swallow my pride and ask for help because I knew I was trying to drink myself to death.
Went to 5 week in-patient rehab in February and went I got out, the world was burning and everyone was struggling, but this year has been a massively huge improvement for my mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual health. I've had to relearn what a non-intoxicating dopamine hit feels like and learn be happy with that.....rather than needing some artificial booster to grease the wheels of conversation and fun.

For me, life is much more manageable now. A lot less crazy. Less wild stories and near misses. But, much more stable and less fear, anxiety, regrets and depression.

Also, I lost around 40lbs, so I managed to get to down to a respectable race weight and actually look pretty good lycra, which is a bonus.

Good for you, dude. February will be four years sober for me. The last 10 months have been super difficult, but having a big picture view helped me remember that any temporary struggle is just that and ultimately worth the effort.
Quote Reply
Re: Your 2020 relationship with alcohol [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
RandMart wrote:
RandMart wrote:
I drank a LOT more than I expected to between Nov 3-7

Back to normal, now

My youngest brother called me on Christmas Eve [he called everyone, actually, one at a time]

He sent himself to rehab for alcoholism

He came from his stay Saturday morning

He said "Dude, I was in there with some hard-core drug addicts ... there were a couple times I had to say 'Sorry, I was just drinking too much Bud Light'"

I got an image in my mind of the part of "Alice's Restaurant" ...

Quote:
"What were you arrested for, kid?"
And I said, "Litterin'"

And they all moved away from me on the bench there
And the hairy eyeball, and all kinds of mean nasty things
'Til I said, "And creatin' a nuisance"

And they all came back, shook my hand
And we had a great time on the bench

YMMV

Have a cousin who is a pharmacist that had the same experience around 6 years ago. He also mentioned people in there that were legitimately yellow with jaundice and huge with edema/ascites - truly scary stuff that gave him, and me, a wake up call. I think I’ve done sober January, another sober month later in the year, and no drinks during the week since then solely because it terrified the shit out of me. Probably still drink to much on Friday and Saturdays, but I’m trying.
Quote Reply

Prev Next