Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sram AXS on hammer trainer
Quote | Reply
hi guys.

I have an older trainer, the Hammer by Cyclops (now saris). I am doing a new bike build and setting up sram red axs groupset with the 12 speed cassette.

I understand I can buy the XDR driver to make the trainer compatible: https://www.saris.com/...uct/hammer-xd-driver

Are my only two choices for the cassette in the trainer the AXS force and AXS red? any other cheaper option since this is just for my trainer?
Quote Reply
Re: Sram AXS on hammer trainer [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could stick with an 11 speed cassette on the hammer. The spacing between their 11 and 12 speed road is within 0.1 mm of each other. In theory, a 12 speed AXS would shift really well along the 11 speeds of the trainer cassette. You would have to remember not to make the final shift OR adjust the derailleur limit so it couldn't be go to the 12th. I haven't had my hands on 12 speed road to try it though.
Quote Reply
Re: Sram AXS on hammer trainer [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read on the trainerroad forum, that was bad and would damage the chain. Maybe that was over precautions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's not as much difference between chain dimensions as the marketing would suggest. Every revolution of the chain 'damages' it and I don't know why this would accelerate that process. As you already mentioned, the XDR freehub and the Force AXS cassette are $$$. Especially if you are only using ERG mode, the cassette isn't terribly important.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why don’t you keep the old bike on the trainer full time? You’ll save the new bike from a lot of wear.
Quote Reply
Re: Sram AXS on hammer trainer [fb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fb wrote:
Why don’t you keep the old bike on the trainer full time? You’ll save the new bike from a lot of wear.

Old bike got stolen last week.. .wife forgot to lock her car door, and the theft got the garage clicker, opened the garage door and took the bike... was a 2012 sworks tarmac..

Good thing, the insurance company gave me replacement cost with a budget of $14500 to build a new bike minus a small deductible. Will post some pics of the new one when its finished :) basically a 2020 tarmac sworks with red axs and some nsw wheels.

Your suggestion is pretty good though! think I might leave my shiv on the trainer permanently..
Last edited by: 125mph: Jan 1, 20 22:29
Quote Reply