Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anybody using sufferfest training plans?
Quote | Reply
I noticed they have some gravel specific plans which is nice. Anybody tried those? I still have a coach but if I go back to self-coached sufferfest training plans look like they could be good especially since they add yoga and some strength
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody using sufferfest training plans? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been following a CX plan for the last 6 weeks or so, with included Yoga and Strength (I added Mental Str too but never got round to doing it).

Since they released the new calendar I switched to the Time Trial plan which started this week.
I like it so far. Nice and simple to use, and (some) of the plans are tailored around your 4DP score. You can tell they've put a lot of thought into how the weeks progress, and they include a recovery week every couple of weeks. The plans also include outdoor rides, or an indoor alternative.

If your plan isn't tailored to your 4DP, they pick the cycling videos which fall inline with your chosen criteria. E.g, the CX plan I started had lots of videos around cadence builds, and boost sprinting etc.

I've used a few training methods in the past, e.g Peakers AI, Zwift plans, Coach etc. The SF one is nice a simple to use. I plan on following the TT one, then switching to the Long Distance triathlon in prep of my IM in July.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody using sufferfest training plans? [WoodyES] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool. Nice to hear good things. Zwift has never stuck with me. I’ve used trainerroad and I think I’ve like how polished and well thought out it is. I feel the same way about sufferfest. I’ve done a trial and feel like their app is well thought out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not, yet, but have been using SF for a few years now. I really like the yoga component and am thinking about starting a training plan in early 2020. I'm looking forward to reading about other experiences here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi guys -- Hope you don't mind me dropping in. David McQ, founder of The Sufferfest here. If you're keen to get some feedback on how the plans work, we have an entire group on FB of people who are following our plans. They can provide a pretty broad spectrum of views and you can find them here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/HamsterWheel/

If you have any for me, I'm more than happy to answer any questions about our plans, which are all designed by our Head of Sports Science, Neal Henderson, and Senior Physiologist Mac Cassin. Otherwise, I'll just show myself out the door. :)

David McQuillen
Founder & CEO of The Sufferfest
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody using sufferfest training plans? [The Sufferfest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Sufferfest wrote:
Hi guys -- Hope you don't mind me dropping in. David McQ, founder of The Sufferfest here. If you're keen to get some feedback on how the plans work, we have an entire group on FB of people who are following our plans. They can provide a pretty broad spectrum of views and you can find them here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/HamsterWheel/

If you have any for me, I'm more than happy to answer any questions about our plans, which are all designed by our Head of Sports Science, Neal Henderson, and Senior Physiologist Mac Cassin. Otherwise, I'll just show myself out the door. :)

I have been following the GCN hour record attempt on YouTube and was curious about where the Half-Monty ramp test is in the app. It doesn't show up in my version and it would be nice to do something shorter than the 4DP for testing the effects of TT position changes
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody using sufferfest training plans? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me too.

I'd also be up for a hour-record video, for some weird twisted reason.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody using sufferfest training plans? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
I have been following the GCN hour record attempt on YouTube and was curious about where the Half-Monty ramp test is in the app. It doesn't show up in my version and it would be nice to do something shorter than the 4DP for testing the effects of TT position changes

Such an awesome challenge that Ollie has taken on, eh? Coaches Neal and Mac are seriously excited about it -- they'll also be trackside when he makes the attempt. As for Half Monty: It'll be in the app in late Feb. We've spent 9 months refining the traditional ramp test and have improved accuracy from 83 to 93%, providing not just FTP, but MAP and LTHR as well. It's an awesome test and perfect for those mid-plan adjustments or for new users who aren't ready for the full monty of Full Frontal.

David McQuillen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I need something that works on Android.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody using sufferfest training plans? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
I need something that works on Android.

You're not alone! We've got an Android beta working internally. It's all far more complicated than anyone realises for a whole host of reasons, but we are making progress and -- while we wanted to release something last month -- are now looking at something in early Q2. We do have one positive, though: Our training plans and calendar are now available on the web. That means that Android users can log-in to their Sufferfest account on their phone/tablet at http://app.thesufferfest.com to review, modify, select, apply and follow their plan. It's not everything, but it's a step in the right direction.

David McQuillen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, I'm on the Sufferfest training plan, prepping for the Tour of Sufferlandria. A couple of early, quick observations that were not obvious (to me), but important. (1) The training plan populates in your Sufferfest calendar. Use the links in the calendar to start activities - don't simply read from the calendar that you need to ride, say, A Very Dark Place and then select AVDP from the 'Workouts' link. Why? The training plan/calendar will adjust the 4DP intensities for that activity, but the same activity selected from the workouts page will be set at 100% intensity. A case in point - I did my 4DP yesterday, as programmed (this is an expanded FTP test for those unfamiliar with SF). Then, today, I see that I'm programmed for Blender - a 104 minute mix of FTP work and some VO2 intervals. What? BUT, the training plan has this set as a recovery ride (phew!) by setting the 4DP intensities far lower than 100%. Worked fine. (2) Also note that, despite the derating of activity intensity, the history in SF records this as having been performed at 100% intensity. That's unfortunate b/c, if you look back in your SF history, my experience (Blender after 4DP, but at 50%-ish intensity) will be forgotten... I submitted a ticket on these things and SF is aware and planning changes...
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody using sufferfest training plans? [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the full frontal workout yesterday and I can only say 1 thing, I am in no hurry to do that again. It is brutal! 1 hour that is mostly suffering.... I like the idea of more than 1 dimensional fitness assessment that makes a lot of sense and yes you do have to perform some all out efforts to get this data, but I hope that full frontal is not the only way.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody using sufferfest training plans? [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s5100e wrote:
I did the full frontal workout yesterday and I can only say 1 thing, I am in no hurry to do that again. It is brutal! 1 hour that is mostly suffering.... I like the idea of more than 1 dimensional fitness assessment that makes a lot of sense and yes you do have to perform some all out efforts to get this data, but I hope that full frontal is not the only way.

ready for the kick in the balls? i was reading through the facebook group SF suggested and I quickly found that the tri plans don't really take into account 4DP because the tri plans don't focus at all on limiters! definitely feels like something the Director Sportif of Sufferlandria would do
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody using sufferfest training plans? [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another update - details from SF on the training plans / calendar appear to be a work in progress.... Workouts prescribed in your training plan and appearing in the calendar with a little clipboard icon in the lower RHS indicate 'coach's notes' are associated with that session. I *think* that many/all of these will have modified 4DP intensities, but some (apparently) are simply guidance on actions to take based on how that workout 'feels'. Interesting approach. I'm still following each prescribed workout, but that will end tomorrow as I can't do anything on Wednesdays. A custom plan would accommodate that quirk in my calendar, but I'll need to adapt using this robot-administered program. Still, an easy fix and I'll be tracking fitness to assess effectiveness...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greetings David. I've used the app for ~4 years now, and enjoy (actually hate / dread) the videos. The strength training and yoga were great additions that I use frequently. My question is; will the SUF training plans ever be able to populate to the Training Peaks calendar? I see that completed workouts get pushed to TP, but feel that seeing your upcoming training in the TP calendar would be very efficient and convenient.

Thank you

After farting around on the computer, I found that the training plans do populate to TP, so...Cool. Disregards and carry on.

"I drank what?!?!" - Socrates
Poor Swimmer. Weak Cyclist. Slow Runner.
TriDot Ambassador / Sacramento Triathlon Club
Last edited by: weakandpuny: Aug 5, 20 11:06
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody using sufferfest training plans? [weakandpuny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How did you get the training plans to populate with Training Peaks? I'm looking to do the same thing with Final Surge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used and enjoyed it for a number of years with the downloadable videos.

Lately I have been doing zwift on Apple TV and if it were available on this platform I would certainly get a subscription.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody using sufferfest training plans? [rexnebula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went this route. Not sure if it's the same for Final Surge, but imagine it probably is.

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/the-sufferfest/

"I drank what?!?!" - Socrates
Poor Swimmer. Weak Cyclist. Slow Runner.
TriDot Ambassador / Sacramento Triathlon Club
Quote Reply