Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road Bike Geometry and Crank Length
Quote | Reply
I finally listened to the podcast on crank length that Bio_McGeek posted a few weeks back. Great information and timely for me. I'm taking this winter to try and fix a problem that has me pondering some questions.

For years I have had a right knee problem that with the help of a PT (my wife) we have come up with a diagnosis. Basically, my biceps femoris tendon is snapping over the fibular head. When I pedal or squat, as I extend my leg the tendon snaps back in place. I don't currently have pain from it but I have in the past. It happens under load or not so imagine wha it's like at 95RPM on a ride.

I conclude I need to minimize knee flexion at the top of the pedal stroke. The question is how?

Given a set saddle height and set back, can frame size or geometry affect knee flexion? I know shorter cranks will change things for the better but don't know enough about the geometry of frames.

I'm 5'9, 165lbs, and have a saddle hight of 71cm. I ride a Cervelo S1 in 51cm with 170mm cranks and like it. I'm open to a different bike but if a simple swap to shorter cranks could resolve the problem, great.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Geometry and Crank Length [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have the same dimensions, and interestingly similar issues. Your saddle height seems a tad low, mine is 74.5cm and this is from 2 different and highly reputable fitters. Although I do recognize every body is different.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Geometry and Crank Length [titemple652] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
titemple652 wrote:
We have the same dimensions, and interestingly similar issues. Your saddle height seems a tad low, mine is 74.5cm and this is from 2 different and highly reputable fitters. Although I do recognize every body is different.

I have short limbs and poor hamstring flexibility.

I used to ride at 70cm for a while and had an express fit by Dan at one of the road shows he used to do. He landed at 71cm for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have short legs as well. Dan really knows his stuff though so don't start messing with your fit. Or maybe go back and see him if you are unsure.

My fitter is in Brazil, Rogerio Camarago. He an experienced bike fitter but more importantly he has a Masters degree in body science - he really gets it.

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shorter cranks are always worthwhile trying. There has been lots of talk on here and elsewhere. There are no specific and targeted gains, if you have no problems in going to shorter cranks - but if you have some specific problems that are related somehow to crank arm length, then it's worth a try.

If you are currently riding on 170's, I would suggest trying 165's and see how it goes. The big concern with many is "will I lose power" - the short and quick answer is, "no". The studies have shown that power out-put stays roughly the same through a range of crank lengths with individual riders.

You may have to change gearing, and gear choices (for certain effort levels) slightly - but don't over-think this too much.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Geometry and Crank Length [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
165's are easy to try. SRAM has a pair on Amazon with a BB for about $120 delivered.

I had 155's on my last TT bike and enjoyed them.

I'd get 160's if I could find a cheap set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:

Given a set saddle height and set back, can frame size or geometry affect knee flexion?

No, you have defined the contact points already - BB and saddle/pelvic position. If saddle height/setback are fixed, then crank length and cleat setback are your only remaining avenues. Look for shoes that allow the cleats further back (top end shimano, Giro - definitely not northwave).
On the saddle height front, you might want to err on the high side of normal range to reduce flexion.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Geometry and Crank Length [titemple652] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your saddle height seems a tad low, mine is 74.5cm and this is from 2 different and highly reputable fitters.//

Not sure why you would confuse the guy, that's like telling him his size 8 shoe is too small too because you are an 11. I'm 5'10 and ride a 70cm saddle height, and guess what, I also buy 29 inseam Levis!!!! I think for the OP going to 165's on a road bike would be perfectly fine, 155's for a tribike would be more inline.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Geometry and Crank Length [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed about the 165s. As for confusing him, I think he seems pretty smart ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Geometry and Crank Length [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
svennn wrote:

Given a set saddle height and set back, can frame size or geometry affect knee flexion?

No, you have defined the contact points already - BB and saddle/pelvic position. If saddle height/setback are fixed, then crank length and cleat setback are your only remaining avenues. Look for shoes that allow the cleats further back (top end shimano, Giro - definitely not northwave).
On the saddle height front, you might want to err on the high side of normal range to reduce flexion.

Toe overlap is already huge on the S1 for me and I already have the cleats as far back as they go on both my Giro and Lake shoes.

It sounds like the best way towards a higher saddle is shorter cranks.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Geometry and Crank Length [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Your saddle height seems a tad low, mine is 74.5cm and this is from 2 different and highly reputable fitters.//

Not sure why you would confuse the guy, that's like telling him his size 8 shoe is too small too because you are an 11. I'm 5'10 and ride a 70cm saddle height, and guess what, I also buy 29 inseam Levis!!!! I think for the OP going to 165's on a road bike would be perfectly fine, 155's for a tribike would be more inline.

Sounds about right, I buy 30" Levis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think shorter is your best bet, but I would go to 160s at that seat height on a road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to run an S1( might be the best bike I ever owed!)

I'm 165cm and saddle height of 69.5cm. I used to run 165mm cranks on that bike and was great. The toe overlap was a pain and if I could have got 160mm I would have.

All my bikes are 170mm now, not by choice just the way they come. Too many pennies to change!

If manufactures did 160mm then I would deffo run that, they really should go down to at least that if not 155mm as standard.

I run 145mm on my TT bike.

Keep your S1, I wish I had! 😊
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Geometry and Crank Length [Mario S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been shopping around for affordable 160mm cranks.

I do see that Shimano 105 cranks come in 160 now but I can only find them on ebay. Not the end of the world but I would have to wait on shipping from Taiwan.

The bright side of all this is my TT setup with clip on bars and forward seat post should feel better also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shipping from Taiwan takes about a week.
Quote Reply