Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best anti-hypertensive that does not impact triathlon
Quote | Reply
Full disclosure-I am a doctor, just primary care and hearts are not in my area of expertise and I am keen to hear other ST's experience who have needed to be started on anti-hypertensives (and hopefully DTOCE will chime in).

Background: Mid 40's, male, fit, not over weight (although a few kg's off race weight), no drinking/smoking, decent diet, moderate caffeine intake.

My GP/primary care doctor has been monitoring my blood pressure over this last year and it has consistently been elevated (systolic in the 140-160 range). I normally see her after a decent training session but it has remained elevated at most visits and I am almost certainly staring down the path of needing some pharmacological management. She is a good GP and I will almost certainly have a 24 hr BP profile done and some other tests beforehand, but 99% certain in the next 6 months I will end up on medication and once I start down that road will have be medicated for life. I will do all I can reasonably do to avoid medication but the reality is that my work/life balance is demanding and long distance triathlon is not necessarily associated with overall high heart health.

Note to others: if you have things like income protection insurance etc where the premiums and exclusions may be based on your overall health, make sure they are in order before you start things like this as you may in the future be excluded from various conditions.

So-my questions for the ST community are if you have found yourself needing to be on an anti-hypertensive, what class of drug are you on and has it had any impact or side effects on your athletic performance? I have come to triathlon later in life and still feel I am on an upward trajectory performance wise. I can't find much out there in my brief searches on what is best for people in our situation. Can't imagine a beta blocker is particularly good, not sure if ACE inhibitors, ATII inhibitors, diuretics or things like spironolactone have negative's when it comes to long distance triathlon training. Any personal experience appreciated and hopefully DTOCE might chime in.
Quote Reply
Re: Best anti-hypertensive that does not impact triathlon [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beta-Blockers are obviously worthwhile in the right population: Those limited by Cardiac symptoms, compromised perfusion, angina, etc. typically see an increase in exercise tolerance.

However, as you're alluding to, they are often detrimental to individuals whom are seeking to lower blood pressure and are otherwise healthy. Additionally, many (all?) betablockers are banned from in and out of competition testing.

Calcium Channel Blockers: Have limited to no side effects associated with the exercise athlete. As far as I know they are not banned.
ACE inhibitors: Can improve stroke volume and cardiac output, but have the associated cough and potential issues with post-exercise hypotension. As far as I know they are not banned.
ATII: As far as I know no significant changes, but I am less familiar with this class. Also, not banned as far as I know.
Loop and Thiazide diuretics: Banned by WADA

The quick and dirty from a physiologist who's been out of this particular field for a bit.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Last edited by: xtrpickels: Dec 30, 19 14:44
Quote Reply
Re: Best anti-hypertensive that does not impact triathlon [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
Beta-Blockers are obviously worthwhile in the right population: Those limited by Cardiac symptoms, compromised perfusion, angina, etc. typically see an increase in exercise tolerance.

However, as you're alluding to, they are often detrimental to individuals whom are seeking to lower blood pressure and are otherwise healthy. Additionally, many (all?) betablockers are banned from in and out of competition testing.

Calcium Channel Blockers: Have limited to no side effects associated with the exercise athlete. As far as I know they are not banned.
ACE inhibitors: Can improve stroke volume and cardiac output, but have the associated cough and potential issues with post-exercise hypotension. As far as I know they are not banned.
ATII: As far as I know no significant changes, but I am less familiar with this class. Also, not banned as far as I know.
Loop and Thiazide diuretics: Banned by WADA

The quick and dirty from a physiologist who's been out of this particular field for a bit.

Thanks Robert, was not aware about the diuretics and beta blockers being banned for triathlon, I was aware of beta blockers being restricted in sports like shooting but not triathlon! Will go check out the website now.

Just checked: beta blockers have specific sports restrictions. Diuretics considered a masking agent and therefore cannot use, including spironolactone. Obviously could get a TUE but what an effort!
Last edited by: Amnesia: Dec 30, 19 15:47
Quote Reply
Re: Best anti-hypertensive that does not impact triathlon [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beet juice
Quote Reply
Re: Best anti-hypertensive that does not impact triathlon [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
offpiste.reese wrote:
Beet juice

I would if my gut could tolerate more than a single pre race dose! Any more than that and life is not pleasant!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
offpiste.reese wrote:
Beet juice

I would if my gut could tolerate more than a single pre race dose! Any more than that and life is not pleasant!

Have you tried powder? I get some from Amazon that actually tastes ok. Or do you have intestinal distress from it? I could understand that.
Quote Reply
Re: Best anti-hypertensive that does not impact triathlon [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
offpiste.reese wrote:
Amnesia wrote:
offpiste.reese wrote:
Beet juice

Have you tried powder? I get some from Amazon that actually tastes ok. Or do you have intestinal distress from it? I could understand that.

Last time I loaded pre race for five days with beetroot juice shots and had the trots because of it. Stopped the load 36 hours out and it all settled fortunately! Don't think it is the beetroot per se but probably the massive sodium load in the shots.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alternative to ace is arb’s
I am on a small dose of that as I got the cough with ace.
Have you tried dropping some weight if you can ?
When I dropped from 210 to less than 180lb my bp went from the high range to just borderline even normal when I am in good shape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great resource is Larry Creswell's site:

http://www.athletesheart.org/?s=blood+pressure

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am UK based nephrologist, so used to dealing with complex BP issues- going to talk in doctor speak, as you're a doctor yourself.

First thing I would say is make sure that you need anti-hypertensives. As you know, white coat hypertension is a very real and common phenomenon, and only after 24 hour BP recording should you start anti-hypertensives.
If you're young, fit and not overwieght, never smoked etc, then it's a bit odd that you've become hypertensive, and it may be worth your doctor exploring secondary causes of hypertension.

If you do have primary hypertension, then unfortunately anti-hypertensives by nature may reduce your performance potential.
As you know, the whole point of your physiological response is to increase your cardiac output by increasing stroke volume, to allow more blood (and oxygen) to get to your hypoxic muscles. The ways it does this is by either increasing blood pressure/ myocardial contractility (so calcium channel blockers may reduce this) or increasing heart rate (beta blockers will severely affect this).

ACE-i/ARB would probably be the best option in an endurance athlete, and may increase stroke volume, however if you are getting severely dehydrated in training or a race etc, you may become symptomatic of hypotension, it may affect your kidneys and it may be best to skip the dose on these days, you'd probably just have to be careful, measure your own BP at home pre-dose/exercise!
Quote Reply
Re: Best anti-hypertensive that does not impact triathlon [shammad10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shammad10 wrote:
I am UK based nephrologist, so used to dealing with complex BP issues- going to talk in doctor speak, as you're a doctor yourself.

First thing I would say is make sure that you need anti-hypertensives. As you know, white coat hypertension is a very real and common phenomenon, and only after 24 hour BP recording should you start anti-hypertensives.
If you're young, fit and not overwieght, never smoked etc, then it's a bit odd that you've become hypertensive, and it may be worth your doctor exploring secondary causes of hypertension.

If you do have primary hypertension, then unfortunately anti-hypertensives by nature may reduce your performance potential.
As you know, the whole point of your physiological response is to increase your cardiac output by increasing stroke volume, to allow more blood (and oxygen) to get to your hypoxic muscles. The ways it does this is by either increasing blood pressure/ myocardial contractility (so calcium channel blockers may reduce this) or increasing heart rate (beta blockers will severely affect this).

ACE-i/ARB would probably be the best option in an endurance athlete, and may increase stroke volume, however if you are getting severely dehydrated in training or a race etc, you may become symptomatic of hypotension, it may affect your kidneys and it may be best to skip the dose on these days, you'd probably just have to be careful, measure your own BP at home pre-dose/exercise!

Thanks for this. I think I am unfortunate in being thin with stiff non compliant vessels....bloods have all been OK and I check my BP in theatre at work as well as with my GP and it seems to be consistently above 140/90 these days....I also live and train in a hot climate and need the odd bit of assistance from NSAIDs from some previous injuries to get through some tough running days, so also have concerns re the ACEI route! Like most people I could afford to be 5-6 kg lighter but I am not sure that is the long term solution...!!
I will be seeing my GP in the next few weeks and make a start on this....my next A race is 16 weeks out so may be interesting to see how things go if I am medicated by then!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know there aren't many crossover studies and what not, but what little I've seen show a pretty big difference between good western diet and plant based diet..i know is just anecdote, but a couple athlete friends who were about to need to start meds just "tried it for a couple months" to see and wound up not going on meds(obv not as predictable as meds, but if i were trying everything to be able to stay doing what i do, it's probably something I'd try)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amlodipine (calcium channel blocker) is my go to first line for athletes. Minimal side effects, good BP control. most common side effect I see is peripheral edema but rare in active people with a good diet.
I agree with the sentiment to ensure you are truly hypertensive. I advise patients in question do a one week BP diary, monitoring their BP 3-4 times daily before starting meds. If it is generally NOT elevated than you do not need it. If it always elevated than probably so. BP is a very dynamic measurement and basing treatment on one random BP in the office or ER is not appropriate unless its so high there is not question
Quote Reply
Re: Best anti-hypertensive that does not impact triathlon [shotts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shotts wrote:

"Nonetheless, there will be individuals who DO develop hypertension despite engaging in a regular exercise program. Those at particular risk include: African-Americans, the elderly, the obese, those with diabetes, and those with chronic kidney disease."

Doesn't seem to be much effort given to finding out the cause of high BP... rather just prescribing drugs to mask the symptom.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 45, never been overweight, never smoked, very limited alcohol, always involved in sports, but my BP since I can recall being measured has been in the 160/80 range. My dad and grandpas are/were hypertense, so I guess genetics plays a role in my case. At least that is what my cardiologist told me when I arrived at his office 1 1/2 years ago: I cannot tell you to loose weight, I cannot tell you to do more excercise, I cannot tell you to quit somoking/drinking, and you work on shifts. So after a month under study, we chose the type angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) as the drug of choice (I compete, so as said above, no beta-blockers nor diuretics were an option). I am on 80mg of Valsartan/day.
So far so good, with none side-effects. I train hard & compete hard without limitations from the doctor. But I should mention that right after crossing the finish line of the first IM under medication, I felt very very sleepy, and a strong hypotension syntoms came to leave almost KO for an hour up until a 1L saline solution IV was indicated by race doctor. But felt great during the race and afterwards the saine solution revive me.
Good luck!

STRAVA INSTAGRAM
Quote Reply
Re: Best anti-hypertensive that does not impact triathlon [caffeinatedtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
caffeinatedtri wrote:
Amlodipine (calcium channel blocker) is my go to first line for athletes. Minimal side effects, good BP control. most common side effect I see is peripheral edema but rare in active people with a good diet.
I agree with the sentiment to ensure you are truly hypertensive. I advise patients in question do a one week BP diary, monitoring their BP 3-4 times daily before starting meds. If it is generally NOT elevated than you do not need it. If it always elevated than probably so. BP is a very dynamic measurement and basing treatment on one random BP in the office or ER is not appropriate unless its so high there is not question

Thanks for this. We have been monitoring for six months already but kept it on the down low to make sure all my Insurance's were place first and foremost! We had planned a 24 hour bp study, GP not too worried, will pick myself up a decent setup to monitor at home, not exactly convinced wrist based monitors are that accurate!
Quote Reply
Re: Best anti-hypertensive that does not impact triathlon [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
shotts wrote:

"Nonetheless, there will be individuals who DO develop hypertension despite engaging in a regular exercise program. Those at particular risk include: African-Americans, the elderly, the obese, those with diabetes, and those with chronic kidney disease."

Doesn't seem to be much effort given to finding out the cause of high BP... rather just prescribing drugs to mask the symptom.

Unfortunately that is medicine! There are certain serious causes which can be relatively easily and cost effectively diagnosed, but then a whole rabbit hole of other causes which are often multifactorial and potentially not reversible, so treatment would be indicated anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Best anti-hypertensive that does not impact triathlon [Dr. Triax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Triax wrote:
I am 45, never been overweight, never smoked, very limited alcohol, always involved in sports, but my BP since I can recall being measured has been in the 160/80 range. My dad and grandpas are/were hypertense, so I guess genetics plays a role in my case. At least that is what my cardiologist told me when I arrived at his office 1 1/2 years ago: I cannot tell you to loose weight, I cannot tell you to do more excercise, I cannot tell you to quit somoking/drinking, and you work on shifts. So after a month under study, we chose the type angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) as the drug of choice (I compete, so as said above, no beta-blockers nor diuretics were an option). I am on 80mg of Valsartan/day.
So far so good, with none side-effects. I train hard & compete hard without limitations from the doctor. But I should mention that right after crossing the finish line of the first IM under medication, I felt very very sleepy, and a strong hypotension syntoms came to leave almost KO for an hour up until a 1L saline solution IV was indicated by race doctor. But felt great during the race and afterwards the saine solution revive me.
Good luck!

Thanks for the anecdote. Much appreciated.
I have a few half Ironman's planned for 2020, only have a small amount of weight to lose, don't drink or smoke, not much in the way of other modifiables!
Glad all is going well, best of luck for all your races in 2020.
Quote Reply