Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: James Newbury- 5th Fittest Man in the World (CrossFit) does very well for his first go at Ironman Western Australia [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Fletch_boy wrote:
like a Rugby No.7.....

American only on this forum, please.

Especially since the best athlete is the #8
Quote Reply
Re: James Newbury- 5th Fittest Man in the World (CrossFit) does very well for his first go at Ironman Western Australia [Fletch_boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fletch_boy wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
Fletch_boy wrote:
James Newbury looks like an athlete. The dude is big and ripped, but looks powerful, like a Rugby No.7, or an NFL RB.

You mean a number 6...

In regards to Newbury. If you train hard and long enough for a specific sport you'll probably do ok when you've got higher level genetics.

No I’ll stick with 7. Do you look at Dean Mumm and think “now there’s a freak athlete”?

6 & 7 are the same position, just on opposite sides of the scrum.
Quote Reply
Re: James Newbury- 5th Fittest Man in the World (CrossFit) does very well for his first go at Ironman Western Australia [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mudge wrote:
Fletch_boy wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
Fletch_boy wrote:
James Newbury looks like an athlete. The dude is big and ripped, but looks powerful, like a Rugby No.7, or an NFL RB.

You mean a number 6...

In regards to Newbury. If you train hard and long enough for a specific sport you'll probably do ok when you've got higher level genetics.

No I’ll stick with 7. Do you look at Dean Mumm and think “now there’s a freak athlete”?

Not really true. Both big guys, but in the dark arts of a flanker there is a world of difference between blindside and openside. One is primarily charged with carrying the ball and tackling, the other is charged with supporting the runner/clearing out in the tackle or hunting for ball in the breakdown. The difference comes about because the open side is usually on the side of the scrum where there is greater space, and therefore where the backs more often come into play.

Cheers,
Rich.
Quote Reply
Re: James Newbury- 5th Fittest Man in the World (CrossFit) does very well for his first go at Ironman Western Australia [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
Mudge wrote:
Fletch_boy wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
Fletch_boy wrote:

You mean a number 6...

Not really true. Both big guys, but in the dark arts of a flanker there is a world of difference between blindside and openside. One is primarily charged with carrying the ball and tackling, the other is charged with supporting the runner/clearing out in the tackle or hunting for ball in the breakdown. The difference comes about because the open side is usually on the side of the scrum where there is greater space, and therefore where the backs more often come into play.

Cheers,
Rich.

At the risk of pirating the thread even further, what you’re saying only applies if you swap the flankers from left to right based on position of the scrum within the field. Not something I saw in five years of playing at flanker, or noticed in my time as a spectator. Are top teams switching flankers based on where the scrum is, or whether it’s their put-in or their opponent’s?
Quote Reply
Re: James Newbury- 5th Fittest Man in the World (CrossFit) does very well for his first go at Ironman Western Australia [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mudge wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
Fletch_boy wrote:
like a Rugby No.7.....

American only on this forum, please.

Especially since the best athlete is the #8

Blasphemer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mudge wrote:
knighty76 wrote:
Mudge wrote:
Fletch_boy wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
Fletch_boy wrote:

You mean a number 6...

Cheers,
Rich.

At the risk of pirating the thread even further, what you’re saying only applies if you swap the flankers from left to right based on position of the scrum within the field. Not something I saw in five years of playing at flanker, or noticed in my time as a spectator. Are top teams switching flankers based on where the scrum is, or whether it’s their put-in or their opponent’s?

I'm no expert, but I've played in five or six different coaches' systems, and I can't recall ever not using a blindside/open-side system. This is rugby in the US, but almost exclusively non-US coaching from both hemispheres.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mudge wrote:

Not true. At the highest levels, an open-side is completely different from a blind-side. They do many different things. A blindside and No 8 are much closer to each other in skill set than a 6 vs 7. At the grassroots it's not that relevant because flankers really aren't this skilled for differentiation unless you're a professional or international.

Here's a decent article that tries to explain.

https://www.balls.ie/...20the%20two%20sides.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Jun 18, 20 12:01
Quote Reply
Re: James Newbury- 5th Fittest Man in the World (CrossFit) does very well for his first go at Ironman Western Australia [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Mudge wrote:

Not true. At the highest levels, an open-side is completely different from a blind-side. They do many different things. A blindside and No 8 are much closer to each other in skill set than a 6 vs 7. At the grassroots it's not that relevant because flankers really aren't this skilled for differentiation unless you're a professional or international.

Here's a decent article that tries to explain.

https://www.balls.ie/...20the%20two%20sides.

What’s not true? I make the comment that what you’re saying only makes sense if you swap sides, then ask if that’s what happens these days. You provide a link showing that at the elite level, they do swap sides. Sounds pretty tue to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The defining characteristics between and openside and a blindside is on ball and away from the scrum. Scrum tactics are important for both. But there are 1000 reasons why a coach might make the call to switch them in the scrum. One of your props could be struggling so you flip the stronger flanker over to the weaker side being one of those.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: James Newbury- 5th Fittest Man in the World (CrossFit) does very well for his first go at Ironman Western Australia [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
The defining characteristics between and openside and a blindside is on ball and away from the scrum. Scrum tactics are important for both. But there are 1000 reasons why a coach might make the call to switch them in the scrum. One of your props could be struggling so you flip the stronger flanker over to the weaker side being one of those.

Fine. I agreed with your point already. You don’t need to belabor it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mudge wrote:
Not something I saw in five years of playing at flanker, or noticed in my time as a spectator. Are top teams switching flankers based on where the scrum is..?

Yes. Literally this is what they do, almost all the time. Apart from the French, sometimes, because, well, they are French. SA confuse things by swapping the numbers around. But it is pretty rare these days to play left/right side at the top level.

Anyway, openside has the fun job because he/she gets to try and murder the number 10.
Last edited by: knighty76: Jun 18, 20 16:54
Quote Reply

Prev Next