Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Help - bike shop in Chicago closed without fulfilling bike order [Andres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andres wrote:
Anne gets nothing but great reviews on this website, unsolicited. Now, there's probably a lot of people who don't post their experience in a public forum, but that's probably applicable to both positive and negative feedback, so all we have is what is available. Even though there's a fitter that claims to be Slowtwitch's #1 fitter, I'd guess based on this forum, Anne would be up there with Jim and Ian if there was such a thing. At least if someone asked me for a list of ST fitters, those 3 would probably come to mind simultaneously.

Not trying to pick sides, just understand this better? Maybe others are a bit confused as well?

- You went to Anne for a road bike-specific fit, you did a fit?
- However you then discussed potential TT bike options based on those road numbers?
- Anne recommended some bikes that you were skeptical about based on your translated-to-TT-bike-from-road-bike numbers?
- Anne suggested/made changes to your road bike after the fit, but then you changed them, and asked for her opinion?
- Anne never responded?
- You tried to resolve this via email/phone with Anne directly, and still Anne didn't respond?

- I went to Anne for a tri fit
- No
- I was skeptical about her recommedations because they included only bikes she carried and suggesting a 56 size frame was off.
- No follow-up from her on her own accord as she stated, but I also wouldn't give her a second chance or waste my time - happy to cut my losses and move on.

Most people like redommendig fitters that are "popular" but have not had experience getting fitted by them. That's what happens in a community environment. This was just my personal experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Help - bike shop in Chicago closed without fulfilling bike order [casper3043] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
casper3043 wrote:
- I went to Anne for a tri fit
- No
- I was skeptical about her recommedations because they included only bikes she carried and suggesting a 56 size frame was off.
- No follow-up from her on her own accord as she stated, but I also wouldn't give her a second chance or waste my time - happy to cut my losses and move on.

Most people like redommendig fitters that are "popular" but have not had experience getting fitted by them. That's what happens in a community environment. This was just my personal experience.

I agree about your point regarding the recommendations, though sometimes even without personal experience they can be valid. For example, even someone who's not had Dan Empfield fit them could recommend him without much worry that they're making a good recommendation. I feel some people on here carry similar weight. Ultimately, it's never a bad idea to have a conversation prior to a session, regardless of who the fitter is.

Maybe you and Anne can find a resolution that works for both of you!
Quote Reply
Re: Help - bike shop in Chicago closed without fulfilling bike order [casper3043] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
casper3043 wrote:

Sorry you had a bad experience with that. I think I took a twizzler hand up from Anne once at a CX race, but that's as close as I have been to meeting her.

I chose somebody else in the CHI area about a decade ago that came with a bunch of recommendations here. I was super happy with the experience. He was professional and we figured out a lot. I went back a year or two later about buying my first tri bike and a fit. He showed up 20 minutes late, the Retul equipment wasn't working, and he spent just as much time joking with the mechanic across the shop as he did talking to me. I wound up on a too small tri bike with a 130 stem, the stock extensions that felt like my wrists were going to pop, and proceeded to wase two years until getting a different bike because the handling was terrifying with too much weight on the front wheel. I thought 'that's just what a tri fit is' and kept going. I looked back at some of the recommendations trying to get insight into my tri fit and it was clear several/most were just parroting each other. I'm pretty sure I would have recommended him a ton (and likely did) based on the first fit. I can't believe he's still in business after the second.
Quote Reply

Prev Next