Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kona 2019 Top 15 Men Bike Gear thread
Quote | Reply
https://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Bike_Gear_7546.html

Thoughts, comments, interesting stuff that anyone spots or knows of from this?
First thing I noticed which is cool is what appears to be Tririg's new prototype rim brake on Andy Pott's bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2019 Top 15 Men Bike Gear thread [jaredhartshorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got a few remarks/questions/observations. Also replied on frontpage, but this might be a better place:

Nice work, lots to think about for my own set-up. Just a few annoying questions and additions if you don’t mind:

1. Do you know the gearing of Frodo (same as Sebi?) and his cranklenght?
  2. Are the wheels of Frodo and Sebi the same (both firecrest)?
  3. Is Timothy O’Donnell on tubs or tubeless?
  4. Guess Timothy O’Donnell is on AXS eTap as well (you mention AXS for Frodo, but not for Timothy O’Donnell) ?
  5. Isn’t it strange/striking that the top 3 (and the fastest rider, Wurff) does not use some kind of OSPW system? Can we conclude that OSPW is one of the last investments one should make?
  6. The same question for a special treated chain...
  7. Are Wurffs aerobars 3D printed titanium, or just his extensions (I think the latter)?
  8. Is Wurff on tubed tires (inner) or on tubs?
  9. Ben Hoffman is on a P3X, so no top contenders on a P5X. Can we conclude the P5X is obsolete?
  10. Skipper is on custom (Revolver I guess) cups?
  11. Why are the bars of Skipper not flat? No way to independently tilt the extensions? Doesn’t look aero (still rides fast).
  12. Currie: Tubeless or latex inner tube (think the first)?
  13. Currie: Special OSPW system with aero cage. Only one using this one. SLF?
  14. With Koutny you mention that he has no Visor, but in the photo he is using one (transparent)
  15. Koutny is on Bont (Zero+) shoes and uses Ceramic Speed OSPW system
  16. Aernouts, tubs or tubeless (why not on GP 5000?)?
  17. Aernouts, Ceramic Speed OSPW system and Tririg front brake
  18. Tim Reed: why no draft box?
  19. Tim Reed: small front ring compared to others?
  20. Tim Reed: Doesn’t seem to be a Oakley Sutro sunglass (Sutro has thinner legs)
  21. Weiss: 1) goddamn that bike is fugly, 2) he is wearing Oakley Sutro glasses and not the Aerohead visor (why would you do that, fear of overheating??)
  22. Potts: Wouldn’t he be faster with a better/other helmet (judging only from this pic). Also: tririg brake
  23. Daniel Baekkegaard: do you think those wheels are slow(ish)? And do you agree that different coloured tires should lead to a DNF or at least a penalty? (pink-ish).
  24. Daniel Baekkegaard: why no bento?

Last edited by: Cnasta: Dec 20, 19 1:25
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2019 Top 15 Men Bike Gear thread [jaredhartshorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Article says Jan Frodeno is on a Canyon SPEEDMAX XL. But only the cheap Speedmax's are made in a XL version the more expensive ones are only S M L, so i guess he is on a L? Otherwise i want to know why the f* the XL high end speedmax is not in production?!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2019 Top 15 Men Bike Gear thread [Cnasta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Are the wheels of Frodo and Sebi the same (both firecrest)?"
------------------------
Many of your questions are interesting. For Sebi it says his wheels are "858 Firecrest". Clearly they are 858. Interestingly, 858 tubeless are NOT commercially available and Zipp does not show a wheel called "858 Firecrest." Clearly Frodo and Sebi have 858s that are not commercially available. Also, I would assume the two of them have the same wheels, but they are not labeled the same way in this article.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cnasta wrote:
Isn’t it strange/striking that the top 3 (and the fastest rider, Wurff) does not use some kind of OSPW system? Can we conclude that OSPW is one of the last investments one should make?

Not super strange. Definitely the last investment someone should make on a bike. Manufacturers claim 2.4 watts. Though since manufacturers often arrange tests and comparisons in a way to make their stuff look good, maybe looking at just 1 watt? Many people are probably losing this much by using crappy lube or not cleaning their drivetrain

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2019 Top 15 Men Bike Gear thread [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
Cnasta wrote:
Isn’t it strange/striking that the top 3 (and the fastest rider, Wurff) does not use some kind of OSPW system? Can we conclude that OSPW is one of the last investments one should make?

Not super strange. Definitely the last investment someone should make on a bike. Manufacturers claim 2.4 watts. Though since manufacturers often arrange tests and comparisons in a way to make their stuff look good, maybe looking at just 1 watt? Many people are probably losing this much by using crappy lube or not cleaning their drivetrain

I understand that this goes for agegroupers, but the top 3 kona finishers and the best biker sure can miss 300-500 dollar (if not given to them). Even if only 1 watt: 1 watt is 1 watt.

I'd like Sebi or Frodo explain why they don't use is. Bigger risk of failure, tested slower (bullshit or aero-loss), shittier shifting, etc. Don't believe the money is a problem for top10 triathletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could ask the same question for multiple pieces of equipment. Per independent testing, Speedplay aero pedals save 3-5 watts over the regular speedplay zero pedals. Probably this much or more vs other pedal brands. They cost ‘just’ $250. So why don’t all pros use these?

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very likely sponsor constraints. Sram doesn't want the image that their equipment isn't good enough for the world champ. Less likely, but they could be concerned about the reliability of the derailleur cage. I could see a scenario where they don't want to risk 1-2 watts on the chance the cage snaps. Not sure if that's even a valid concern, but could see them thinking that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cnasta wrote:
Chemist wrote:
Cnasta wrote:

I understand that this goes for agegroupers, but the top 3 kona finishers and the best biker sure can miss 300-500 dollar (if not given to them). Even if only 1 watt: 1 watt is 1 watt.

I'd like Sebi or Frodo explain why they don't use is. Bigger risk of failure, tested slower (bullshit or aero-loss), shittier shifting, etc. Don't believe the money is a problem for top10 triathletes

It certainly isn't a monetary issue with NOT using an OSPW system, it seems like it's a sponsorship issue. The top 3 are all sponsored by SRAM and maybe they do not allow their athletes to use an OSPW system? This seems more likely than not wanting to spend $500.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
#3 - I -think- Tim O uses tubulars. Probably the only pro using them?

#9 - don't think Cervelo actually makes the P5X any longer, so yeah, I'd say its obsolete. Too bad in that it was pretty cool that it was made in the US by HED. Aside from not being made, makes no sense to use a bike 2 pounds heavier (or something like that) than the same shape PX/P3X.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2019 Top 15 Men Bike Gear thread [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
You could ask the same question for multiple pieces of equipment. Per independent testing, Speedplay aero pedals save 3-5 watts over the regular speedplay zero pedals. Probably this much or more vs other pedal brands. They cost ‘just’ $250. So why don’t all pros use these?

I do not like Speedplay pedals but I tolerate them (and use them) because I do believe they are faster. For me it is comfort and confidence thing. Riding on Speedplay feels like I am skating on ice and that is not something I want when I take a turn, bombing down a descent, or cranking up a hill.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5. I recall Slowman saying in one of the articles introducing AXS that they'd made it so you couldn't swap out rear mech cages to avoid having aftermarket 'upgrades' - although I see SLF say they can do it so maybe it's just contractual.
6. Standard wax just looks like a clean chain so we can't say there is no special treatment. AXS users really need to do what they can with the chain given that it's starting from a higher friction level than 11s chains.
7. http://www.mostbike.it/...s/timetrial/talon-tt
13, SLF mention him, so yes. https://www.slfmotion.com/...ts/hyper-aero-system
Last edited by: cyclenutnz: Dec 20, 19 11:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thnx for all the replies, will edit my post later to fit in the definitive answers (and maybe the ones that are most certain as well) :)

Maybe Slowman can merge this thread with his thread, better to find/follow if all is in 1 topic
Quote Reply