Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Who's Aging Up? [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aging up into the 25-29 age group next year :D hoping to get my elite license though, can't make it a lifestyle but at least there's competition that way
Quote Reply
Re: Who's Aging Up? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Aging up into the 25-29 age group next year :D hoping to get my elite license though, can't make it a lifestyle but at least there's competition that way

No one in this thread has an ounce of sympathy for you.

;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Who's Aging Up? [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep its insane

IM Western Aust top 5 in 44-49 age group all 9.30 and under!

Crazy!
Quote Reply
Re: Who's Aging Up? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's funny you say that. I have a friend that moved into the 70-74 this year. He was very excited to be the young guy again. It blows my mind what he accomplishes. He is a lifelong swimmer, Purdue University back in college, so he still swam 1 hour in Kona this year. He decided to see if he had anything left and raced IMFL after Kona and qualified again for next year. Sometimes I have felt like I'm not progressing then I talk to him and realize I'm only 45 and I still have 30 years left in the sport if I train properly. Very inspiring.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Who's Aging Up? [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's scary? that's awesome! Third next season but by the time I get there it will will be my fifth... I went through a car windshield training for my first, been battered and bruised many times but I'm still hooked.

Today I swum 3.5km in the beautiful bay of Melbourne with mill pond flat water and perfect temperature. My 12km run after was a little hot but path along the beach and beach was loaded with all walks of life and good looking people. Yesterday I road 97km on the bike along the coast with a head down tail back, nice temp, slightly overcast at times and a perfect riding day. Tonight I've been drinking beers with a best mate, who I met riding my bike along the same road ten years ago. So may good times riding up and down that piece of road.

Without a silly sport that posses you to do this shit what else do you do? At best I'll outlive everyone win a world title... Mind you them old dudes out of Japan I am sure have cared more for their bodies than me...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moving up to 60-64 also. Not excited. The new AG has half the slots as the old one.
(1)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shit I am aging up every year, I will be in Kona 2020 at 78. Now the game is how many others will make it. If you think it is hard now ......just wait!
Quote Reply
Re: Who's Aging Up? [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
timr wrote:
I got into Triathlon, consistently, in the 35-39 AG. I always thought aging up would get easier competition until I realized the 40-44 were animals. Now I'm going into the 45-49 and it's become the biggest AG and times just as fast as 40-44 and in some cases, faster. Damnit man. Who's excited to move up?

Today happens to be my 39th birthday. As a December birthday person, I always race one year older than I really am. So next year its 40-44 for me. I am not sure how I feel about it. As a FOP guy I know I still have serious competition in this AG (perhaps even stronger), but I suspect my days of chasing the overall podium at local races will soon come to an end.

Don't be surprised. We have guys around us on the overall podium in the local races in their late 40'sh and even up to mid- 50's.

Although ever-so-often the "under legal drinking age" kid shows up and crushes us all.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's Aging Up? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Another one going to the 60-64 group. In fact I aged up today! //

Happy birthday Dean!! It's a milestone of some sort, but at least the times you have to beat do get slower...

Thanks Monty! I took 44th place in the 55-59 group at IMAZ a few weeks ago. My time would have gotten me 12th place in the 60-64 group. So if I stay healthy, things are going to get a lot more fun, and maybe even crack a top 10 AG in a big show. But I also totally agree with the posters who have mentioned a drop off at 60. Mine really started at 58. I set all my masters PR's at 56-57, and started dropping off at 58. It's crazy, as I still feel like I did at 56, or even 26, while training and racing... but the times keep slowing down. And damn them long runs hurt these days!

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Who's Aging Up? [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FlashBazbo wrote:
Agreed on all points. Plus, a lot of the time (especially with bike racing), 60 just gets you lumped in with the 45+ or 50+ group anyway. There's no point to aging up if they take away the category after registration and before the start.

Try being a woman racing bikes somewhere besides California. I hit the 60-64 AG this year. In bike racing here (TN), the race category is almost always "women" - all ages, all Cat. Made it easy to quit crits/road and go to gravel.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I aged up to 60-64, I was expecting all kinds of good things. Win or podium every local tri and possibly KQ at 2 IM's I entered. Then I crashed big time in a sprint tri and separated my shoulder and cracked a rib. I somewhat recovered, but 5 weeks later I got hit by a truck and cracked a few more ribs and extensive lacerations. My year was wasted even though I did attempt IMAZ, I ended up a DNF as I just wasn't quite ready.

Next few years just didn't seem I could get back to where I was and just languished outside of podium. 3 years later, got hit by another car and really broke me up. Another lost year. I finally took off this year completely from tri's. Now aging up to 65-59 and signed up for IMAZ again. Guess we'll see how it goes after 5 nearly wasted years. I never stopped training, but just never the same as the crash and car/bike accidents.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's Aging Up? [karlw2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, best of luck to you. I'm sure you will do great.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yet another going into 60-64..
hope to actually do a tri next year, injuries permitting..
haven't raced since 2015 and slowed down about 20% since then, so not expecting to be at all competitive.. but as monty says, in 60-64 and up, the years are adding up faster, so best hope is to race the year of turning 60 ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm moving up to 45-49. I was a bit late into triathlon, so I set a bunch of PBs in the 40-44 category as I figured some stuff out. I just think it's awesome that there are these five-year categories because it means everyone can stay competitive. I did an open-water swim race this summer and was in the "over-35" category, which seemed a bit rough on the 60-70 year olds in the race!
Quote Reply
Re: Who's Aging Up? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good discussion. Let me add, though, that I saw a drop off in terms of participants and speed once I crested 50. I was middle of the pack in my 40s, but I got more consistent, smarter and with better gear and was able to move up in the standings in my early 50s. I will hit 60 in 2021 and am hoping that I can get back into the top of the age group .

There will always be folks who stay amazingly fast; but I submit that if you keep at it with consistency and proper recovery, one can crawl up in the standings ... good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Me too. 45 to 49 next year. The next AG is supposed to be easier, but never quite works out that way. Let's see!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The thought I've reflected on in recent months is this: When will I get my last PR? Nike Vaporflys and HED Jet 6+ wheels are helping, but that day is coming. Alas, I'm at peace with it all.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's Aging Up? [FedeleTemperini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you should reset the PR button every time you age up. That way you give yourself a fair chance of success. Expecting to do an overall PR after about 50 could be demoralising if you are comparing yourself to the 30 year old you...
Quote Reply

Prev Next