ITB has become inflamed since IM almost 3 weeks ago

Roller and stretching

Any other treatments to ease the inflammation as its pulling on the knee cap
as well!

Thanks in Advance
Quote Reply
Re: ITB Treatment [RobertK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For some suggestions for treatment and an outline of what is occuring I'd take a look at this link. I would focus on the suggested treatments for ITB syndrome:

https://www.bmj.com/...1/itband_pis_v32.pdf

I would also suggest going to see a local MSK professional for their opinion and advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It'll probably take a lot longer than 3 weeks to resolve, mine took more like 3 months. I did a lot of rolling, stretching and strength work. I'd suggest visiting a PT and having them assess where you are weak/out of balance and get some exercises to address those areas.

I also did some icing after any activity.
Last edited by: hobbyjogger: Dec 19, 19 4:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't try to "run through it" (absolutely the biggest mistake I made);

Heat before you do workout (loosen up the muscles in quads, hams, and glutes):

Straight-legged dead lifts (strengthening and changes tracking of tendons);

Go to a PT or a chiropractor who uses Cold Laser Therapy. It was a phenomenal treatment for me at a point when I thought I might never be able to run/race again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's mostly about strengthening and better control for your pelvic stabilisers. Maybe increasing your run cadence and shortening your stride might help. Without seeing you run we don't know but statistically it is likely to help. You can't stretch the ITB, it is just too thick and strong, obviously you can stretch the muscles attached and around it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to deal with 2 issues.

1. What caused it - in my case it was severe muscle damage that lead to dysfunction. I needed an Airrosti dr to manually release my quads (think extremely painful massage). Since yours appears to be a result of an IM I suspect the cause is similar to mine. You can try aggressive rolling of the quads to do it on your own, preferably with a lacrosse ball to get more focused pressure. Find a spot that hurts and just lay on it and don't move on until it feels like the pain dulls. Do not roll directly on the IT band itself, this will cause more inflammation.

2. The inflammation of the IT band. Even if you fix what caused it initially you won't be able to continue running again until the IT isn't inflamed anymore. This can take awhile to do naturally on it's own. To speed up hit the ibuprofen hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem this past spring, weeks before my IM race. I had been running maybe too much and too uphill.

Looked everywhere for a solution, and eventually found this page https://breakingmuscle.com/...r-endurance-athletes

It really helped me a lot. I reduced my running to a minimum to just not forget how to run. First 3 weeks I thought of giving up and cancelling the race, but things improved and I got to the start line with 20-30km of weekly run mileage (considering 3 previous weeks). Plan was doing an aqua-bike, and then see if there were any running legs. Ended up as 10th overall, with a 3:24 marathon (no IM franchise, regional event with no pros)
Quote Reply
Re: ITB Treatment [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The ITB doesn't have the inflammation. There is a fat pad that sits just above Gerdy's tubercle, on the lateral side of the knee and the ITB compresses this when running and it is this that is inflamed and sore not the ITB itself. The fat pad is compressed usually due to valgus movement of the knee either due to the foot/ankle mechanics or, more commonly, from poor stabilisation of the hip. Sorting out the latter usually resolves ITB issues in the long term. (Knee valgus isn’t necessarily a problem in itself, as demonstrated by Priscah Jeptoo)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you can temporarily cover it up with rolling, stretching, heating, ibuprofen

or

you can do targeted strength work (core, lower back/hips, legs) and resolve the issue...this option will take several weeks...

good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See a PT that actually knows what they are doing, and strengthen your weak muscles. For me, it was my glutes that caused the instability.
Quote Reply