Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bone conduction headphones [strtezbckoff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love mine. I have small ears so I never could handle earbuds.

Also I’ll be the contrarian I think the race rules might change pretty soon to allow these. I think Aftershokz has started to sponsor races and where the money goes the rules tend to follow.
Quote Reply
Re: Bone conduction headphones [strtezbckoff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the AfterShokz Trekz Titanium. They work great for running. Decent sound quality. For cycling I was experiencing some wind noise, so took the soft part of some Velcro strips and adhered them to the leading edge. That really cut the sound down. I do something similar to the straps on my helmets to cut down on sound. I tend not to use them on roads, but will use them on rail paths where there are no cars. I can hear outside noise well, but hear traffic better without them. Sometimes I will wear them on bike paths, but end up not turning them on. There is something to be said for the quiet zen experience of cycling solo.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: Bone conduction headphones [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

What we need is someone to invent noise-cancelling headphones that don't block out voices nor the sound of cars, bikes etc. Actually, if they could actually enhance those sounds that is the best route.

You would think the tech is there, since there are headphones for shooting ranges that amplify talking but shut out all of the gunfire noise.
Quote Reply
Re: Bone conduction headphones [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
What we need is someone to invent noise-cancelling headphones that don't block out voices nor the sound of cars, bikes etc. Actually, if they could actually enhance those sounds that is the best route.

A lot of the 'noise cancelling' is simply blocking the sound. The other part is where sound waves are generated that are an inverse of what's coming in. That would be pretty tricky to cancel some and not others.

If being able to block sound when you want to and being able to hear ambient sound at other times is desired, it's hard to beat the Jabra Elite 65t, especially since they are down to $100. The best noise blocking of any in-ear headphone I have used. Two taps on the right earbud and you hear everything around you like you're not wearing anything in your ears, but you can still hear what's playing as well. Absolutely fantastic for running and just about anything except cycling. They pick up wind noise in pass-through mode and I wouldn't ride with anything that blocked the noise around me. It's crazy to me that every mid range and high end earbud with a microphone doesn't have some sort of pass-through mode like the Jabras. They are perfect for listening to what you want and being able to maintain situational awareness.

The bone conduction 'headphones' just didn't work for me. They were okay for running, but not too great since I mostly listen to books and podcasts. I tried them on the bike, but I had to crank them all the way up and would get something akin to a headache before long. I didn't like them enough to try a pair of the swimming ones.
Quote Reply
Re: Bone conduction headphones [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

A lot of the 'noise cancelling' is simply blocking the sound. The other part is where sound waves are generated that are an inverse of what's coming in. That would be pretty tricky to cancel some and not others.

If being able to block sound when you want to and being able to hear ambient sound at other times is desired, it's hard to beat the Jabra Elite 65t, especially since they are down to $100. The best noise blocking of any in-ear headphone I have used. Two taps on the right earbud and you hear everything around you like you're not wearing anything in your ears, but you can still hear what's playing as well. Absolutely fantastic for running and just about anything except cycling. They pick up wind noise in pass-through mode and I wouldn't ride with anything that blocked the noise around me. It's crazy to me that every mid range and high end earbud with a microphone doesn't have some sort of pass-through mode like the Jabras. They are perfect for listening to what you want and being able to maintain situational awareness.

The bone conduction 'headphones' just didn't work for me. They were okay for running, but not too great since I mostly listen to books and podcasts. I tried them on the bike, but I had to crank them all the way up and would get something akin to a headache before long. I didn't like them enough to try a pair of the swimming ones.

Thanks the for the info. I'll have to check them out.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Bone conduction headphones [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:
I had thought that bone conduction head phones would not damage your hearing. Comments on this page caused me to do some research. They can cause damage.

Can Bone Conduction Headphones Cause Hearing Loss?
Bone conduction headphones can’t cause hearing loss through ear drum damage but can harm the inner ear (Cochlea) injury if abused.
So, you don’t have to worry about external and middle ear damage but if used for too long at too high “volume” you can damage your Cochlea.

Yes, it is all about the inner ear. Ultimately that is the receiver that then sends signals to be processed by the brain. When talking about hearing loss we are talking about the little hairs in the inner ear that get damaged and die. Which is why I don't get the rage of bone conduction, granted I know most people take their hearing for granted and are not that educated, but all bone conduction as far as I am concerned has the potential to kill your hearing faster. That is if you have to turn them up to adequately hear in the midst of background noise like wind then that is what you are going to accomplish.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Bone conduction headphones [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've tried a variety of products over the years, all meeting with frustration.

I had a waterproof "fanny pack" that any mp3 player could go in (circa 2008), but swimming with the long fanny pack straps and the headphone wire wasn't comfortable, and I might have weirdly shaped ears since in-ear headphones are never comfortable or stay in for me.

I've had the Finis SwiMP3, which goof up the fit of my goggles. I also have trouble using the buttons correctly in the water (long press vs short press to replay a song vs adjust volume). And I frankly could never figure out how to charge or turn it off properly. I can't count the number of times I charged it up, head straight to the pool, put it on in the locker room and got it all set up, and then it would die during my warm up. I spent entirely too much time messing up my swim workouts while fighting with these and their replacement below.

Can't remember the name but I got another pair of bone conduction mp3 headphone that was "fixed" vs being held together by just a wire (plastic headband, circa 2013). Same problems as above regarding difficulty of use.

Leaving the notion of using in a pool behind, I got redfox bluetooth headphones that are firm plastic molded to hook over the ear. My pony tail would whap the back of the headset while I ran and I got tired of the heavy, repetative bass sensation that generated. If I controlled my hair (french braid) then the unit itself would hit my neck and make the same whom, whom sound. I also sweat A LOT and the liquid infiltration into my ears just made the whole set up undesireable.

Then I got a set of JayBirds, which don't stay in my ear and have the same bass whapping issue unless I pin the wire to the back of my hair.

Ultimately my solution for running is a relatively low tech gen2 ipod with wired headphones routed through my sports bra so the wire doesn't bounce around, or in the bike cave I blast the hell out of a room sound system so I can drown out the sound of my laboring.

I'd love to think there is a better solution for me out there but I'm pretty jaded at this point.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Bone conduction headphones [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
Then I got a set of JayBirds, which don't stay in my ear and have the same bass whapping issue unless I pin the wire to the back of my hair.

YES. I totally get what you mean by that noise that plagues all of the wired headphones. After killing enough of their Bluebuds, I ended up with a pair of Freedoms that fit my ears better and had a much shorter cord. I could wear the cord like a hairband and the noise was gone. That's still what I prefer for indoor training or when wearing a stocking cap in cold weather, but the Jabra Elite 65t has been my go-to for no cord noise/bass whapping and staying in my ears.
Quote Reply
Re: Bone conduction headphones [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for validating my pain. I expected crickets from the predominantly male / poneytailless crowd.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply

Prev Next