Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: If you could experience one famous endurance sport moment [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
First ascent of Everest. //

Thats a good one, but of course you would be dead. I would opt for the first ascent and descent of that killer mountain. The decent seems to be where most everyone dies..

I was in the 89 Ironwar race, so had a front row seat. Historically I think I would have liked to have been in the lanes next to Mark Spitz. I actually knew a couple of the guys he beat getting all those gold medals, probably no one here can name even one without looking, so maybe not...(-;

Norgay and Hillary are generally credited with the first ascent, and they made it down safely and went on to live for many more years. But, if you think someone else got there first, then I will accept your amendment and go for the first successful round trip.

Quite a contrast between the view atop Everest and the view of the black line in a pool. To each his own.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could experience one famous endurance sport moment [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:
First ascent of Everest.

Thats a good one, But I pick Mallory's attempt. It would be amazing to see what actually went on that day.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could experience one famous endurance sport moment [Sub12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I accept Conrad Anker’s view that there is no way that Mallory and Irvine could have finished that route with their equipment, etc. But, for sure it was an extraordinary effort given the circumstances of the era.

Being the first to successfully summit (and descend) Everest is an epic achievement, which helped expand our horizons. Winning an Olympic race may bring you some personal fame and fortune (or not). But, it is an artificial construct, so someone has to win. Succeeding on Everest was an unknown. Winning a race is a certainty, it’s only a matter of who.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could experience one famous endurance sport moment [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
NAB777 wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
Being Jason Lezak in 2008 for 100m free relay race

47 seconds is probably a tad short to be considered endurance

is it, though?

Is it won by sprinters, or distance guys?
Quote Reply
Re: If you could experience one famous endurance sport moment [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OPRFCC and JKHAYC
if you like that Lezak race
watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4R0Mgiqs5g

not trying to say this is "the one" famous endurance sport moment
but it's a super gutsy swim
Bruce Hayes swimming anchor against the reigning world record holder
hopeless, doesn't stand a chance
did quality stuff after retirement too
Quote Reply
Re: If you could experience one famous endurance sport moment [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, anything over ~10s is an aerobic activity and typically when I'm doing a 100 all out for time it certainly feels like an endurance event.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could experience one famous endurance sport moment [toddstr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh man, thanks for posting up that race, I had completely forgotten about that, and I watched it live here in LA too!! What's funny is that the middle two swimmers for the US went out way too hard and died, while the germans made up a lot of ground in the last 50. Then they get to the anchor leg where the US guy is known for going out too hard and blowing a bit, and of course the WR holder Gross was a student of pace like the other Germans. But of course it played out exactly opposite, they reversed rolls, and we squeezed out another 4x200, and both teams 3 seconds under WR pace!!
Quote Reply
Re: If you could experience one famous endurance sport moment [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would add at the Marathon event at a year it was in the US
Quote Reply
Re: If you could experience one famous endurance sport moment [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Well, anything over ~10s is an aerobic activity and typically when I'm doing a 100 all out for time it certainly feels like an endurance event.

In that case, I'm getting a '100 Freestyle' tattoo on my calf, with a bumper sticker to match.

(50 butterfly with fins felt like that to me yesterday.)

Spawning a new thread - at what point does an event become an 'endurance' event?

So many questions, so little time.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could experience one famous endurance sport moment [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can’t believe Lemond’s come from behind record setting final time trial in the 89 Tour - widely hailed as the greatest Tour De France win of all times has only been mentioned once.

Quote Reply

Prev Next