Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Challenge Daytona, last big race of the year [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey douchebag. You’ve got a lot to say for a guy that did his last triathlon in 2011 and who scored a 70 at 37 years old.

Easy there, big fella!

I did my last triathlon in 1997!

I don't know what "My Score" was - but I did walk away with a 2nd place in my AG in an Ironman race with a time of 9:20

Can I still keep posting on here? :-)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona, last big race of the year [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:

When people talk about favourites and miss Pablo Dapena who was the 2018 Challenge Family Series Champion....I guess some people should take a look at the stats and dont look at your own belly-buttons and say that Starky will take Daytona, as he has 0 chance against guys like Pablo, Sanders or former ITU competitors.... ( and I think Starky is a cool guy)

Wasn't Dapena a former middle of the pack ITU (Oly/sprint) racer? (has to be.. based on a photo of his running technique next to Sanders)

Here in North America, a lot of triathlon fans don't follow ITU racing, so very few realize it is the cream of the crop as far as pro triathlon racing goes (with all due respect to every single pro). With more and more ITU racing and killing it @ 70.3 (and not the other way around) maybe it will give ITU racing a bit more exposure among the triathlon masses. I enjoy watching all distances, but as far as triathlon racing goes, Olympics is the best race to watch for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona, last big race of the year [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And there is something that really pisses me off. the winner of the NBA season is named the world champion...what the hell???? it is the US American champion, //

Do keep in mind that if you are one of the best players from another country, and you can make it, you will play in the NBA most likely. A lot of nationalities are represented there, but you are right that all the teams are North American. When all this was first formed, there was no doubt that the NBA champs were the best in the world, most likely still are, but for sure the world has caught up with them.

I think it was very similar to Kona calling themselves the world champs. It was self proclaimed, and eventually it just became true. Like baseball too I suppose.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona, last big race of the year [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
stevej wrote:
What’s the back story on Paula?? I was just getting into Tri when London came around and I wasn’t really paying attention to ITU stuff.

Triathlon Canada made a mess of it's best female talent, that's what happened. It was absolutely shameful how she was treated, and I'm so happy to see her back on top, doing it her way. I hope she has a great long course career, she is super talented.

I've had some good conversations with someone who knows a lot about Triathlon Canada and who knows Paula well enough. It's been a while, but from what I recall:

Triathlon Canada sucks. They pushed more than a few athletes out of the sport.
Paula should never have gone to London, she just wasn't ready to race at that level at that time. Bad decision by TriCan.

Now, apologies to Paula as I know she lurks here, but I was told she was "the most driven athlete I've ever met", and because of that she over-trained to the point of injury. Some athletes have to be pushed, Paula needed to be held back. Not my analysis... just what I was told.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona, last big race of the year [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriCan then andnow #facepalm

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona, last big race of the year [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
And there is something that really pisses me off. the winner of the NBA season is named the world champion...what the hell???? it is the US American champion, //

Do keep in mind that if you are one of the best players from another country, and you can make it, you will play in the NBA most likely. A lot of nationalities are represented there, but you are right that all the teams are North American. When all this was first formed, there was no doubt that the NBA champs were the best in the world, most likely still are, but for sure the world has caught up with them.

I think it was very similar to Kona calling themselves the world champs. It was self proclaimed, and eventually it just became true. Like baseball too I suppose.

I think is is very different.

Kona :
1) Triathlon is an individual sport
2) if someone organise the best race in the world on a specific distance (IM)
3) and if athletes from the world come to compete
4) and there is no world championship organized

then you can call that "World championship". So yes, Kona can be considered seriously as the IM world champ.

US Football / Baseball :
US football and Baseball are really local sports. There is dozens and dozens of other locals sports in the world. In this case (not alone) big money because it is an entertainment in a rich country. But nothing "world level", just national level with some foreign players.
These sports do not create enough global interest. No real local championship out of their country of origin. No Olympics.
If some peoples want to masturbate their ego calling that "world champ", why not. There is probably more than one million of "world champ" of this kind in the world. Clearly not serious claim for me.

BasketBall :
there is a world champ. And this year US is not even on the podium.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona, last big race of the year [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
monty wrote:

I think is is very different.

Kona :
1) Triathlon is an individual sport
2) if someone organise the best race in the world on a specific distance (IM)
3) and if athletes from the world come to compete
4) and there is no world championship organized

then you can call that "World championship". So yes, Kona can be considered seriously as the IM world champ.

US Football / Baseball :
US football and Baseball are really local sports. There is dozens and dozens of other locals sports in the world. In this case (not alone) big money because it is an entertainment in a rich country. But nothing "world level", just national level with some foreign players.
These sports do not create enough global interest. No real local championship out of their country of origin. No Olympics.
If some peoples want to masturbate their ego calling that "world champ", why not. There is probably more than one million of "world champ" of this kind in the world. Clearly not serious claim for me.

BasketBall :
there is a world champ. And this year US is not even on the podium.

baseball is in the olympics. it may not be truly global but it definitely is played at a very high level (arguably a higher level than in the us in some countries) in many countries in north and south america.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona, last big race of the year [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Baseball was dropped from the Olympics in 2008, and will be re-introduced in 2020.

Curling and Bobsleigh also are in the Olympics.... truly global sport :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona, last big race of the year [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now, apologies to Paula as I know she lurks here, but I was told she was "the most driven athlete I've ever met", and because of that she over-trained to the point of injury. Some athletes have to be pushed, Paula needed to be held back. Not my analysis... just what I was told.

Maybe not the best analysis but I recall one of the first interviews with Brett Sutton after he started Coaching Chrissie Wellington, he was asked what it's like to coach her? "I need strong biceps", Said Sutton. "To hold her back"!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona, last big race of the year [PedalNowNapL8r] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, everyone for the kind comments. Last Saturday was probably the most exciting race I have ever shot outside of 70.3 Worlds in SA with Jan and Javi. This was an incredible event and venue. Hats off to the incredible staff at Challenge. I was not wanting to step on the toes of the live stream I just wanted you guys to witness what I was watching on the backside of the course.

Here is a quick recap video I made of Mr. Sanders big day. (I also shoot footage for Paula & Eric, as well as Lucy) look for their videos to come out soon. I hope you enjoy!

Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona, last big race of the year [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great stuff out there Talbot, really appreciate this and everything else you’re doing to help Triathlon up its game in the brand and marketing department. As well as our own collective entertainment, of course

Don’t hesitate to keep doing what you need to do to monetize / fundraise where you can. I bought two shirts from the Kona series and was actually quite surprised by how comfortable they were and how well they fit. Always down to support the cause however possible

Kudos and cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually sick footage of that run battle. Lionel looking over at you is hilarious. Nice work. Probably my favorite video of yours so far!

Edit: also the best shot of a snot-rocket I've ever seen.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Last edited by: realbdeal: Dec 17, 19 12:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That video should have its own lionel/video thread! Loved the music over the diciplines in the beginning!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
talbotcox wrote:
Thanks, everyone for the kind comments. Last Saturday was probably the most exciting race I have ever shot outside of 70.3 Worlds in SA with Jan and Javi. This was an incredible event and venue. Hats off to the incredible staff at Challenge. I was not wanting to step on the toes of the live stream I just wanted you guys to witness what I was watching on the backside of the course.

Here is a quick recap video I made of Mr. Sanders big day. (I also shoot footage for Paula & Eric, as well as Lucy) look for their videos to come out soon. I hope you enjoy!

Amazing work!

Great to meet you
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona, last big race of the year [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Roughly 1600 registered ppl among all the different races.

They could easily increase that number if they would put the age group races "fully" on the track. 5 loops for the sprint would be well worth it for me to fly down but 1 loop and then ride around outside the track just doesn't cut it. Guessing there are others with the same feeling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great work TC. If that don’t get you excited about triathlon....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice job Talbot. The race coverage in that package is excellent. Great edit, very well done!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome job Talbot. Truly unique to watch Lionel discuss the race with their family.

I just miss some after-race talk between Lionel and Pablo. Maybe that's because I'm Spanish...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
talbotcox wrote:

I watched this video like 4 times already. That's an insane battle and I can't believe you witnessed first hand and filmed it.
Pablo's surge was no joke and Lionel's face at 11:30 is priceless. He's like 'WTF!!!'
I also watched Largerstrom's video and Paula said Lionel passed them with insane speed.
I'm so tempted to drive all the way to Florida and do this race next year.
Quote Reply

Prev Next