Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I knew riding indoors had gotten extreme/silly....but.... [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
I thought this was going to be about Rapha's new indoor cycling collection.

https://www.rapha.cc/...gory/indoor-training

I thought this was going to be about the ridiculousness of "gravel" riding on zwift
Last edited by: Andres: Dec 13, 19 17:43
Quote Reply
Re: I knew riding indoors had gotten extreme/silly....but.... [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

So I'm just saying that I think we've had our biggest likely impact already and it has led to this "indoor" movement. So I need to see more from you to believe now we can "make a difference". I think we've already likely had our chance and we saw what that led to.

You could well be right. I'm not ready to give up hope. I see good things happening regarding cycling safety in my community. As I was staring at the black line in the pool this evening and starting to feel the holiday spirit after our office party, I concluded that it is important to celebrate physical fitness, whether it is obtained on the roads, in the gym or in the pain cave. Peace and joy to all!
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Dec 13, 19 18:32
Quote Reply
Re: I knew riding indoors had gotten extreme/silly....but.... [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
Kickr wrote:
I've been "punish passed" and buzzed by cars on dead empty open country roads for no reason other than the enjoyment of the maniac driver. I'll stick to my trainer and Zwift riding for all but a very select few workouts, thank you very much.

I've been riding on the road since my competitive road racing days as a junior some 25 years ago, and I can say categorically that drivers are far less patient or courteous now than then.

So much so that I'm avoiding getting my kid a road bike and steering him to mountain biking on trails away from the cars and roads.

But obviously, to each their own...but for me, I'll take Zwift and a smart trainer over dealing with the possibility of ending up in the ditch (or worse) for the sake of an hour ride.

Yes, to each their own, but if we all decide to stop riding on the roads, don't you think there's a real possibility that cyclists will eventually lose their current rights to ride on the roads and/or laws will change requiring that roads be closed for cycling events, which will certainly limit the number of races that use roads?

As to the ad in question, if I have to pedal in a stationary position, as long as it's above 50 degrees outside I'd prefer riding stationary outside instead of inside looking at a screen.

While I see the value of riding for a structured workout and I will do some when I have to when the weather sucks, as long as the weather is good, then I am going outdoors. Cars don't bother me. I was run over by a bus last year and I am over it, and OK riding outdoors. If I die riding it's good, it was worth all the amazing riding I did in my life in amazing places around the world. We will all die so getting run over and dying on a bike is a good option relative to cancer or rotting in a bed. We all have to die anyway and the riding reward vs risk is worth the reward.
Quote Reply
Re: I knew riding indoors had gotten extreme/silly....but.... [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

While I see the value of riding for a structured workout and I will do some when I have to when the weather sucks, as long as the weather is good, then I am going outdoors. Cars don't bother me. I was run over by a bus last year and I am over it, and OK riding outdoors. If I die riding it's good, it was worth all the amazing riding I did in my life in amazing places around the world. We will all die so getting run over and dying on a bike is a good option relative to cancer or rotting in a bed. We all have to die anyway and the riding reward vs risk is worth the reward.

I am very much the same as you Dev although now that it is cricket season I'll be spending more time on the trainer.A mate of mine used to be the coroner in Penticton and I would joke with him that if they ever find me dead on the side of the road they can just roll me into the woods for the critters to deal with and he can have my bike. :-)

I have been hit a lot and I am surprised I am still around to tell the tales but my only fear is surviving a really bad crash,I'd prefer the lights to go out quickly. I have actually started hitching my trailer to my bike for every ride now and people seem to be kinder to me when I'm dragging that damned thing.I even put Christmas lights on it today. :-)
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Dec 13, 19 23:51
Quote Reply
Re: I knew riding indoors had gotten extreme/silly....but.... [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just another person I'll put a little time into at every corner, turn around, aid station, etc. where they actually have to "ride" their bicycle.
And then probably lose a lot more time to on the straits because they train more effectively than me, lol.
Quote Reply
Re: I knew riding indoors had gotten extreme/silly....but.... [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This has been beaten to death, but here's one more take:

I ride my road bike indoors because it isn't 1) advisable to ride the roads where I live (no shoulder, a ton of rednecks that will try to run you off the road on pretty much any ride any time, awful pavement, few people to ride with to create a larger group/peloton for cars to have to respect) and because 2) I have a long commute and a reasonable amount of working hours, and so the extra time spent at stoplights, stop signs, planning a route, etc is not an effective use of my already limited cycling time.

I do have good mountain biking around here, so I've got good enough handling from the time I've put in there.

For those of you bragging about putting a lot of time into the indoor people when they "actually have to ride their bike" in races, you would do well to check the results of some of the folks posting here. I'm not sure high quality cornering is going to bridge the gap from 22 to 27mph, unless you're racing downhill.

For those who are wondering why the indoor people race at all, why do you care? That's a huge part of the issue with this sport, and why I did leave it for a while. People do what they can with their available situation to be able to show up and race, and a lot of you are advocating for them to hang it up because they don't ride outside. Then, I'll see a thread next week wondering why participation was down in 2019 (or similar).

The bottom line is that I enjoy competing in triathlon, and I'm able to put in 3-5h of effective, intense bike training indoors and race at a high level.

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
This is depressing. Most Zwift ads don't show folks indoors on a nice day. It's just clear they're indoors. This though..........outdoors on a patio on a lovely day in a seemingly lovely place.

Advert right here on ST.

https://i.imgflip.com/e94sv.jpg[\img]

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Last edited by: LuisDF: Dec 14, 19 4:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
This is depressing. Most Zwift ads don't show folks indoors on a nice day. It's just clear they're indoors. This though..........outdoors on a patio on a lovely day in a seemingly lovely place.

Advert right here on ST.

I am pretty sure that is Bermuda. Your tune would change if you have ever tried to ride there.
Quote Reply
Re: I knew riding indoors had gotten extreme/silly....but.... [FasterTwitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you ever tried rinko? Obviously it wouldn't work for everyday training, but the experience sounds pretty neat (have read some cool reports by Jan Heine, Velo Orange, etc).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have ridden 4091 miles so far this year, and of those maybe 25 were on the road, about 125 on gravel and the rest on Zwift. I am scared when I ride outside and whether that is a reasonable thought is irrelevant here, but most of all I ride on the trainer because otherwise I could not. Tonight I rode about 30 miles after 9pm. My wife is working at the hospital, and the boys went to bed around 7:45pm. I then cleaned up dishes etc, and when all was quiet I jumped on my Wahoo Kickr. But earlier today I got to run 12.25 miles outside. This week, thanks to indoor options I managed 17 hours of working out.
Quote Reply
Re: I knew riding indoors had gotten extreme/silly....but.... [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like riding indoors and I like riding outdoors.
I like running outside and I like running inside.
I like sushi and I like cheeseburgers.

Things don't have to be mutually exclusive.

I think we should, as humans, be encouraging and supportive of anyone who's trying to better themselves, regardless of how they choose to do it.

-----
http://www.howesgreg.com
Quote Reply
Re: I knew riding indoors had gotten extreme/silly....but.... [BungleJapan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well said

BungleJapan wrote:

I think we should, as humans, be encouraging and supportive of anyone who's trying to better themselves, regardless of how they choose to do it.
Quote Reply
Re: I knew riding indoors had gotten extreme/silly....but.... [Klaus Daimler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A poster said it earlier, but traveling with an Omnium trainer is a common practice for pros on the ITU circuit. They have to race at a very high level, yet they're often racing in locations where they a) do not have enough time or resources to find safe riding routes or b) do not want to compromise their training intensity on unfamiliar roads.

Klaus is spot on, this is Flora Duffy training in Bermuda. Her home turf. Likely in the days leading up to her dominating cycling leg which helped her win the race. Slowtwitch covered it HERE.

At Patrick Lange's homestay here in TX during his Kona training camp, I saw an Omnium that he travels with. So, it's not only the ITU pros....

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Re: I knew riding indoors had gotten extreme/silly....but.... [BungleJapan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BungleJapan wrote:

+1

There are probably more than 100 threads on here endlessly debating the merits of indoor vs outdoor training and the answer is ALWAYS, "it depends".

What does it depend on? Your goals, your tolerance for boredom, your physical location, and your risk tolerance, among others. There are so many variables here and no right answer. It's silly to chastise someone for getting off the couch and riding on a trainer even if the conditions are good enough to ride outside. ANY riding is infinitely better than not doing anything. So pick whatever motivates you to action and helps you enjoy the ride.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: I knew riding indoors had gotten extreme/silly....but.... [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:

There are probably more than 100 threads on here endlessly debating the merits of indoor vs outdoor training and the answer is ALWAYS, "it depends".

What does it depend on? Your goals, your tolerance for boredom, your physical location, and your risk tolerance, among others. There are so many variables here and no right answer. It's silly to chastise someone for getting off the couch and riding on a trainer even if the conditions are good enough to ride outside. ANY riding is infinitely better than not doing anything. So pick whatever motivates you to action and helps you enjoy the ride.

I have no problem with people that ride indoors, I do it myself. I understand it's safe, I understand it is efficient and I understand it can be an effective way to improve. I'm just baffled by how eager so many here are to sing it's praises every time it comes up. Let's try a different analogy:

Me: I like scuba diving
ST: Me too, I'm in the pool 3 times a week.
Me: That's not really what I meant, I like exploring open water
ST: But the pool is so much more time efficient, I just jump in and I'm scuba diving.
Me: True, but that isn't why I scuba dive.
ST: The pool is so much safer, no boats or sharks or any of that scary stuff.
Me: Again, true but that isn't really why I like doing it.
ST: But I can train in the pool every day and become a great scuba diver.
Me: Again, true...sigh...never mind.
Quote Reply
Re: I knew riding indoors had gotten extreme/silly....but.... [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well just be consistent and also add “your not really scuba diving” cus that’s certainly something I read from the “outdoors” is better crowd. So both sides certainly have their struggles with boasting and clowning the other side.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: I knew riding indoors had gotten extreme/silly....but.... [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you suggesting Zwift create a Scuba diving version ?

You will be lying on the floor, moving legs, and looking at fish and old sick boat on the screen ? With a virtual reality device ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
I have no problem with people that ride indoors, I do it myself. I understand it's safe, I understand it is efficient and I understand it can be an effective way to improve. I'm just baffled by how eager so many here are to sing it's praises every time it comes up. Let's try a different analogy:

ST: But the pool is so much more time efficient, I just jump in and I'm scuba diving.

In your analogy above both sides clearly state their position and why they choose one method or another. It's ok for you to want to scuba dive in the ocean because you want to explore, and it's also ok for someone else to scuba in the pool because it offers the same sensation of weightlessness, breathing underwater, and (drifting away from the analogy a bit) fitness benefits. People sing the praises of indoor training because it helps them accomplish their goals, which may include fitness, training for races,etc. and they could care less about exploring the outdoors. For you the goals are in a different order and that's also ok.

Can we just end the thread(s) now?

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: I knew riding indoors had gotten extreme/silly....but.... [talking head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
talking head wrote:
Just another person I'll put a little time into at every corner, turn around, aid station, etc. where they actually have to "ride" their bicycle.
And then probably lose a lot more time to on the straits because they train more effectively than me, lol.

That's why it's probably best to ride both indoors and outdoors :)

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a saying in my business: Analogies suck. This is Exhibit A.
Quote Reply
Re: I knew riding indoors had gotten extreme/silly....but.... [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
Thom wrote:

In your analogy above both sides clearly state their position and why they choose one method or another. It's ok for you to want to scuba dive in the ocean because you want to explore, and it's also ok for someone else to scuba in the pool because it offers the same sensation of weightlessness, breathing underwater, and (drifting away from the analogy a bit) fitness benefits. People sing the praises of indoor training because it helps them accomplish their goals, which may include fitness, training for races,etc. and they could care less about exploring the outdoors. For you the goals are in a different order and that's also ok.

Can we just end the thread(s) now?

But, the government and locals don't like open water scuba divers very much. Claims they get in the way of them fishing, jet skiiing, sailing, and doing whatever else. And since they don't see many people open water scuba anyway, why should they give them any rights or resources? Most of them are indoors at the pool, right? If there were a bunch of open water scuba people, we could see spending resources and giving them some space to do their thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
sch340 wrote:

How about another analogy:

I like frolicking with naked women.. If only there was a way to watch that on some sort of screen device from the comfort of my own home without the hassles of going out into the real world and doin' it for real..

Nah, that'd never catch on.
Quote Reply
Re: I knew riding indoors had gotten extreme/silly....but.... [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RCCo wrote:
I like frolicking with naked women.. If only there was a way to watch that on some sort of screen device from the comfort of my own home without the hassles of going out into the real world and doin' it for real..

Nah, that'd never catch on.

I'm sure it would catch on but I doubt anybody would be here claiming it was better than the actual frolicking
Quote Reply

Prev Next