Re: Active shooters (Jersey City) [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
chaparral wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
windywave wrote:
Allenreid5478 wrote:
We already have gun control. I spent 10 years of my life working for ATF in El Paso, Atlanta and Baltimore. Gun control doesn’t stop people hell bent on causing harm. Every blue jacket I submitted to an AUSA was on someone already prohibited by federal law from being in possession of a firearm. If these juveniles are under 18, they’re already breaking a gun control “law” for possession of a rifle and if it’s a handgun and they’re under 21, the same. I’ll piss some of you off with this but maybe generations of kids raised without a father present providing direction to young boys (white kids, black kids and everyone else) is a larger problem that we seem to not care about.

Rah-Roh you touched the third rail by implying that it's the people using the the gun and not an inanimate object that kills people.

I always laugh when I read that.. Never seen a person yet killed by an energy beam gun.. Oh wait they don't exist. We don't seem to have a problem with Machine guns being used to kill people, oh wait, we regulated them out of common existence.

Last time I looked a person can not throw a piece of metal at the velocity of a gun. Its not an either or problem, its a BOTH problem.

But I have said for 3 or 4 years now, American's don't want to solve this problem, we are ok with shit like this and school shootings happening. So it will all continue. We are smart enough, if really decided we had enough we would find a way to fix it.

But as long as folks want to just throw out shit like Guns don't kill people, people do.. We wont get anywhere.

I think I saw windy that you have a kid now. Wonder how your attitude will change, when you get the call your kids school is in lock down cause of an active shooter. 2 kids in College both have had active shooters.

You really think we're OK with this? You think we dont care? Responsible owners are the ones who preach proper gun safety and proper gun control the most!

Many smart people have agreed that we have lost the ability to address the mental health component. So without changes to allow individuals to be approached regarding suspected mental health or safety issues, then Im going to say the same thing to you.

If people could get off their moral high horse, theyd realize unchecked mental health is an issue and we've had enough, then we'd find a way to fix it.

Ahhh, so that is why Canada has so much less gun violence. Or every other advanced country. Must be how much better they address mental health issues.

Is your suggestion that we adopt those other countries health care policies?

They have a lower burden for involuntary commitment

How would involuntarily committing people solve the problem, since people with mental illness are not more likely to commit gun violence.

Are you suggesting that we commit people without mental illness? Because someone committing gun violence is most likely not going to have mental illness.
Quote Reply
Re: Active shooters (Jersey City) [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
windywave wrote:
chaparral wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
windywave wrote:
Allenreid5478 wrote:
We already have gun control. I spent 10 years of my life working for ATF in El Paso, Atlanta and Baltimore. Gun control doesn’t stop people hell bent on causing harm. Every blue jacket I submitted to an AUSA was on someone already prohibited by federal law from being in possession of a firearm. If these juveniles are under 18, they’re already breaking a gun control “law” for possession of a rifle and if it’s a handgun and they’re under 21, the same. I’ll piss some of you off with this but maybe generations of kids raised without a father present providing direction to young boys (white kids, black kids and everyone else) is a larger problem that we seem to not care about.

Rah-Roh you touched the third rail by implying that it's the people using the the gun and not an inanimate object that kills people.

I always laugh when I read that.. Never seen a person yet killed by an energy beam gun.. Oh wait they don't exist. We don't seem to have a problem with Machine guns being used to kill people, oh wait, we regulated them out of common existence.

Last time I looked a person can not throw a piece of metal at the velocity of a gun. Its not an either or problem, its a BOTH problem.

But I have said for 3 or 4 years now, American's don't want to solve this problem, we are ok with shit like this and school shootings happening. So it will all continue. We are smart enough, if really decided we had enough we would find a way to fix it.

But as long as folks want to just throw out shit like Guns don't kill people, people do.. We wont get anywhere.

I think I saw windy that you have a kid now. Wonder how your attitude will change, when you get the call your kids school is in lock down cause of an active shooter. 2 kids in College both have had active shooters.

You really think we're OK with this? You think we dont care? Responsible owners are the ones who preach proper gun safety and proper gun control the most!

Many smart people have agreed that we have lost the ability to address the mental health component. So without changes to allow individuals to be approached regarding suspected mental health or safety issues, then Im going to say the same thing to you.

If people could get off their moral high horse, theyd realize unchecked mental health is an issue and we've had enough, then we'd find a way to fix it.

Ahhh, so that is why Canada has so much less gun violence. Or every other advanced country. Must be how much better they address mental health issues.

They have a lower burden for involuntary commitment

How would involuntarily committing people solve the problem, since people with mental illness are not more likely to commit gun violence.

Are you suggesting that we commit people without mental illness? Because someone committing gun violence is most likely not going to have mental illness.

It would significantly reduce school shootings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
windywave wrote:
Allenreid5478 wrote:

Jesus christ. I make a comment regarding wanting to address mental health and thats your response?

We have 330M people. We have a shitload of people and a shitload of problems. We have a lot of problems I believe we need to fix and damn straight addressing mental health is one of them. And I think its higher on the list than guns.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:
I think that we can all agree that what we need is thoughts and prayers.

No what we need is institutionalization

also, now is not the time for this discussion. You’re worse than Hitler.

Too much maple syrup moonshine?

You new around here?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Active shooters (Jersey City) [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:

Jesus christ. I make a comment regarding wanting to address mental health and thats your response?

We have 330M people. We have a shitload of people and a shitload of problems. We have a lot of problems I believe we need to fix and damn straight addressing mental health is one of them. And I think its higher on the list than guns.

Chappy is the king of the reductio ad absurdum method of liberal logic. You can count on it every time.
Quote Reply
Re: Active shooters (Jersey City) [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

Chappy is the king of the reductio ad absurdum method of liberal logic. You can count on it every time.

So true! I’ve even seen him try to link the lax US gun regulations with higher US gun crime statistics compared to other western countries. Imagine someone trying to use that kind of logic!
Quote Reply
Re: Active shooters (Jersey City) [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
svennn wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

So true! I’ve even seen him try to link the lax US gun regulations with higher US gun crime statistics compared to other western countries. Imagine someone trying to use that kind of logic!

How about we ban antisemitism instead of guns. Mmm'k?
Quote Reply
Re: Active shooters (Jersey City) [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
https://www.nj.com/...-in-jersey-city.html

Two shooters shooting at anyone.

That website does not have the most recent information, in fact it was probably in correct when published.

https://www.cnn.com/...wednesday/index.html

This was a traffic stop of a vehicle that was wanted in connection to a murder/robbery. The gun battle was a standard bad guys with nothing to lose trying to get away. Yes, it was technically gun violence, but not your normal random mental health issue shooting. It was 2 very bad people who were running for their lives and did not intend to be taken alive, nor did they care who got killed in their efforts to escape.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Active shooters (Jersey City) [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
BLeP wrote:

That website does not have the most recent information, in fact it was probably in correct when published.

This was a traffic stop of a vehicle that was wanted in connection to a murder/robbery. The gun battle was a standard bad guys with nothing to lose trying to get away. Yes, it was technically gun violence, but not your normal random mental health issue shooting. It was 2 very bad people who were running for their lives and did not intend to be taken alive, nor did they care who got killed in their efforts to escape.

I just read an article stating they targeted a Jewish neighborhood
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
windywave wrote:
Allenreid5478 wrote:

When the We is the same we as We the People.. Yes I completly do and have over 10yrs of inaction as my proof.. what changes in mental health or gun control can you point to, to demonstrate your point? Security camera's at schools, Metal detectors.. sorry those are for show and do nothing.

WE will would rather stay on the Moral high horse and not budge on Mental Health or Gun control. WE would rather not give an inch on our position to help solve a problem. Its 100% my way or the highway.. so We sit and do nothing..

Sorry we as a society don't care enough to do anything about it.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

It's the fucking asshole who does the shooting. If you're too dense to figure that out I can't help you

Right how many multiple fatality shooting's have happened without a gun? or even simpler, how many machine guns have been used in shootings since the laws changed around machine guns?

How come the gun control lobby isn't working on getting gun regulations rolled back.. Why not deregulate machine guns? I mean gun control doesn't work right so machine guns are all over the streets.

Per the above post.... Get off your Moral High ground, admit to solve this, we need to change Gun laws, and how we treat mental health in this country.

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
chaparral wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
windywave wrote:
Allenreid5478 wrote:

More proof We don't care.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
AutomaticJack wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Yeah the article I skimmed said that, but also said it wasn't an act of terrorism, which seems a bit incongruous.
Quote Reply
Re: Active shooters (Jersey City) [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read an article on CNN and some things don't quite add up - at least as told in the article. It said the first violence was when the guys pulled up to the store in their van and then started shooting into the store.

Then, the police officer was killed in a cemetery.

Then the two guys were involved in a shootout, apparently in the same store where the people were killed.

It seems odd that the guys went back to the store after killing the police officer.

I assume that the author had his facts wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
svennn wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

How about we ban antisemitism instead of guns. Mmm'k?

Good idea. And anti-Muslims. We could start at the top.

So, fix mental health, ban white supremacists and bingo, no more gun violence! You're a genius.
Quote Reply
Re: Active shooters (Jersey City) [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
windywave wrote:
AutomaticJack wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Yeah the article I skimmed said that, but also said it wasn't an act of terrorism, which seems a bit incongruous.

Not all antisemitism is terrorism
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

Do you have any data to back that up?

Because I am seeing lots of data that mass shootings generally are rarely (only ~5%) are committed by people with a mental illness. Are school shootings that different from other mass shootings?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
windywave wrote:

Do you have any data to back that up?

Because I am seeing lots of data that mass shootings generally are rarely (only ~5%) are committed by people with a mental illness. Are school shootings that different from other mass shootings?

Yes.

The definition of mass shooting encompasses run of the mill bullshit shootings too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So lets rise the taxes on guns to 40% and ammunition to 100% to help pay for the added mental Health.

Boom we have compromise and are doing something to move the needle. But I am sure this is to much compromise to happen.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: Active shooters (Jersey City) [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
So lets rise the taxes on guns to 40% and ammunition to 100% to help pay for the added mental Health.

Boom we have compromise and are doing something to move the needle. But I am sure this is to much compromise to happen.

So you want only rich people to be able to shot and defend themselves? Why do you hate poor folks?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:

We need to be ABLE to involuntarily commit people. The standard now is clear and convincing evidence which is pretty high meaning the horse is usually out of the barn before someone is committed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:

I've got all the firearms and ammo that I will ever need, so let's go for it. But to make sure that we address some of the major causes of premature death - we will also need to raise the cost of alcohol, automobiles, fuel and cell phones.
Quote Reply
Re: Active shooters (Jersey City) [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
DavHamm wrote:

I've got all the firearms and ammo that I will ever need, so let's go for it. But to make sure that we address some of the major causes of premature death - we will also need to raise the cost of alcohol, automobiles, fuel and cell phones.

And raise the incarceration rate for gang members
Quote Reply

Prev Next