Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

El Paso - Riding...
Quote | Reply
I'm going to be in El Paso from tonight-Monday for some family stuff. Will have my mornings free (until noon-ish), and am looking to get some riding in.

Anyone know of any Saturday/Sunday group rides (road)? Or have any recommended routes to ride?
Quote Reply
Re: El Paso - Riding... [RKW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the only route I could find that I did while in El Paso. I'll look for some more.

https://connect.garmin.com/...rn/activity/58783081

Start at Artcraft and Upper Valley in Sunland Park, park in the shopping center.

If you search that area in strava you should find something. The roads out that way were fairly friendly.

Look up Crazy Cat Cyclery for local information

If you want to do some trail running look up Franklin mountain state park. Make sure you're out of there before closing or your car will get locked in.

I got this from jmh several years ago

I'd recommend you take 10 W to Artcraft, head west on Artcraft across the Rio.

For the rides below,you can park in the shopping center (Subway/Little Ceasar's) at the intesection of Upper Valley Rd and Artcraft.

Artcraft to Hwy 9 (road to Colmbus). Head west on Artcraft road through a couple intesections and a couple of climbs. About 7 miles down Artcraft you come to Hwy 9. Turn right (only option) and you can ride forever on this lightly travelled road. On days like today when it is going to windy this ride can be fast out and brutal on the return. Hwy 9 is wide open with no trees/buildings, but also no traffic. There is a Border Patrol station about a 1/4 of mile on the right once you tuen onto Hwy 9 that generates most of the traffic. Also there is a marked 40k course (out and back), with 2.5, 5, 10, 15 and 20 markings.

Route 28. Park at the same shopping center and head North on Upper Valley, it winds around, make a right on to Morrill (about a mile) and the a right on Gato (about 2mi from start), then left on to 28 (about 2.5miles from start). Bear to the right at the three way stop and keep heading north on Hwy 28. This route has a bit more traffic, but Saturday morning is filled with cyclists.

Group rides orginate from Crazt Cat Cyclery at Redd Rd and River Run plaza. The local tri club does a group ride at 8 on Saturday. The faster roadie group leaves from River Run at about the same time. The Crazy Cat group is a bit more diverse. There are other rides, but these are the ones I've done. To get to River Run plaza turn left on Upper Valley off Artcraft and go about 3 miles. It is on the left as you approach Country Club road.

Last edited by: jaretj: Dec 10, 19 11:14
Quote Reply
Re: El Paso - Riding... [RKW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which side of town are you staying? How long a ride are you looking for?

It will be seasonably "chilly" for El Paso, so consider arm warmers and leg/knee warmers if you get an early start as you will have remove them as it will be in the mid 60's both Saturday and Sunday.

The advice I gave jaretj a few years ago is still relevant, but Westside focused. The Crazy Cat has closed its Westside of El Paso location and just has its more centrally located store. Not sure what the group ride status is as I generally do my own thing.

Transmountain Road is a nice climb from either side of town or up and over and back up and over (repeat as many times as you feel necessary).

PM me if you want more info. I'm wrapped up this weekend or would otherwise offer to link up for a ride.

Suffer Well.
Last edited by: jmh: Dec 10, 19 11:54
Quote Reply