Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ben Deal at Indian Wells [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
realbdeal wrote:
JackStraw13 wrote:
Did you go sockless on the run?

Yup! I generally only put socks on if its cold enough to warrant a little additional warmth for the toes. This wasn't quite that. If you follow us on Instagram though, you'll know that my feet paid the price. The black tab of foam in the heel of the Next%, presumably to keep you locked in, rubbed hard and it's extremely uncomfortable for me to walk around in shoes right now. Wouldn't change it for anything though.

I find that if I roll my socks and place them in my shoes it takes no longer than 10 seconds total to have both socks on - definitely worth it when blisters may be involved!
I think I am decently quick with socks, but imagine the flak I would have gotten if my t1 had been 10 seconds longer or I didn't have the incredible t2 to slightly redeem t1 :D

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Ben Deal at Indian Wells [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
You need to start watching ITU races (they’re perfect for the trainer). The triathlonlive.tv is only like $30/yr or something, and you will get access to all the races from the last few years as well. Those folks have T1 dialed in (because they have to), and they practice a lot. Comparing yourself to other long course pros shouldn’t be your measure of success here, always strive to be world class in everything, even transition.

It’s not hard to have your shoes on your bike, and use rubber bands to hold them level (and wide open) so that when you land on the seat, you can slip your feet directly into the shoes. Then only have to tighten them up when you get a chance. I agree with you that putting your feet on top of your shoes and then having to work them in later isn’t very efficient.
This is good advice and probably just want I needed to hear. With my elastic lace shoes that can't hold a wide open position, I think I always just shied away from even giving it a chance. Maybe next season I'll have some of Ed O'malleys fancy shoes though and I can make up time in both transition and aero. Thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Ben Deal at Indian Wells [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amazing race, Ben (and Summer)!

I noticed in the pics that you are running some shallower than normal Princeton Carbon Works wheels. Can you talk a bit about your wheel choice? Is that the set you chose for all round best performance over a wide variety of races or was this a decision for this race only?
Quote Reply
Re: Ben Deal at Indian Wells [Kickr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kickr wrote:

I noticed in the pics that you are running some shallower than normal Princeton Carbon Works wheels. Can you talk a bit about your wheel choice? Is that the set you chose for all round best performance over a wide variety of races or was this a decision for this race only?
Thank you! And good question. This is one of the aspects of sponsorship that kind of surprised me this past year. I figured that it would be tough to find companies to provide product, much less $$$, especially to a first year pro. However, I thought there would be wheel companies begging us to ride their wheels in the pro field... boy was I wrong. I guess I thought that because there are so many wheel companies that offer essentially the same product, the value of having their wheels under pros would be tangible and obvious. As I understand though, with wheels being fairly low margin, I guess it doesn't work like that. I contacted probably every single wheel company out there, including Yoeleo and Farsports. I figured with our history of promoting ways to be competitive without spending a ton of money they would at least love us. Nope.

We were super fortunate to get in touch with Marty over at Princeton Carbonworks. We had a kind of loose connection from my brief days rowing at Columbia, when he coached the team at Princeton. He liked our story and I think, sees our potential as we do, and promptly sent us two sets. And holy cow, these are some beautiful wheels. And they ride fantastically. Sure I could probably handle something deeper on front, but this 60/65mm depth is perfect for Summer. PCW doesn't make a disc yet but we're working on something with them to have a rear disc to race in for 2020. I know that they may not be the absolute fastest setup for a tri or TT, and that makes sense as the wheels are really great all-arounders for every application. They weigh around ~1500g and in low yaw races like Indian Wells was this past weekend, the penalty of not having the disc was minimal. Dan actually wrote about these wheels last year in a front page article also.

All this is to say that we don't have money to buy wheels, so when a company puts their faith in us, we appreciate it greatly and will do our best to represent them well ;) It helps that these wheels really are awesome though.

Quote Reply
Re: Ben Deal at Indian Wells [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
You need to start watching ITU races (they’re perfect for the trainer). The triathlonlive.tv is only like $30/yr or something, and you will get access to all the races from the last few years as well. Those folks have T1 dialed in (because they have to), and they practice a lot. Comparing yourself to other long course pros shouldn’t be your measure of success here, always strive to be world class in everything, even transition.

It’s not hard to have your shoes on your bike, and use rubber bands to hold them level (and wide open) so that when you land on the seat, you can slip your feet directly into the shoes. Then only have to tighten them up when you get a chance. I agree with you that putting your feet on top of your shoes and then having to work them in later isn’t very efficient.

There is a lot about transitions that can be learned watching ITU, some things to do, and some things not to do. SOME of those folks have things dialed... I've worked numerous ITU mount lines, and have seen as many trainwrecks as I have perfect mounts (it's actually alarming how bad some of the ITU folks are at transition, there are folks who have podiumed in the WTS, that don't podium more regularly because they miss critical groups in races due to poor transitions))... That said, you can learn from how clean, efficient and organized their transitions are (everything in place, the fewest number of things to do before leaving (grab your helmet, buckle and go...), etc.).

I'll agree with the comment, that shoes on flying mount is less bad then stop and straddle, but nailing a shoes on pedals flying mount would be even faster. It's not wrong to think that many people who do the shoes on flying mount may be losing time not getting into their shoes efficiently when riding (typically this is caused by trying to get into the shoes too soon while cruising at low speed, rather than riding 1-2min getting the speed up, which makes it much easier to get into your shoes while maintaining speed and line...), because an unpracticed transition of any form is going to be less polished than a practice one. For shoes on flying mounts, there's tons of YouTube videos on cyclocross mounting technique, which is exactly this... From there the transition to a shoes in pedal flying mount is easy because the only difference is getting into the shoes while making forward progress on the bike, rather than while standing still at your spot in T1 (note, I didn't say landing on your shoes, because if you do, you're doing it wrong, you should be landing on your inner thigh, and then sliding onto your seat and your feet onto your shoes, rather than going directly to the seat and pedals, since that approach drastically increases the TP Quotient (TP = Testicular Pain)...

Transitions don't need a lot of practice, they just need some regular rehearsals to not forget how to do it (could be as simple as a weekly brick workout where you actually practice your transition (I set up a makeshift T-zone in my back yard, I'll do a short run, finishing in the yard, do my T-1, using the end of the driveway as a mount line and then doing my ride, and then at the end of the ride transition into my proper run session...)). Yes you could do focused transition repeats when learning a new transition skill such as a shoe on flying mount and then a shoe off flying mount... but after that, it's less about spending 3min, it's more about spending 30sec more often...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Kickr wrote:

Thank you! And good question. This is one of the aspects of sponsorship that kind of surprised me this past year. I figured that it would be tough to find companies to provide product, much less $$$, especially to a first year pro. However, I thought there would be wheel companies begging us to ride their wheels in the pro field... boy was I wrong. I guess I thought that because there are so many wheel companies that offer essentially the same product, the value of having their wheels under pros would be tangible and obvious. As I understand though, with wheels being fairly low margin, I guess it doesn't work like that. I contacted probably every single wheel company out there, including Yoeleo and Farsports. I figured with our history of promoting ways to be competitive without spending a ton of money they would at least love us. Nope.

We were super fortunate to get in touch with Marty over at Princeton Carbonworks. We had a kind of loose connection from my brief days rowing at Columbia, when he coached the team at Princeton. He liked our story and I think, sees our potential as we do, and promptly sent us two sets. And holy cow, these are some beautiful wheels. And they ride fantastically. Sure I could probably handle something deeper on front, but this 60/65mm depth is perfect for Summer. PCW doesn't make a disc yet but we're working on something with them to have a rear disc to race in for 2020. I know that they may not be the absolute fastest setup for a tri or TT, and that makes sense as the wheels are really great all-arounders for every application. They weigh around ~1500g and in low yaw races like Indian Wells was this past weekend, the penalty of not having the disc was minimal. Dan actually wrote about these wheels last year in a front page article also.

All this is to say that we don't have money to buy wheels, so when a company puts their faith in us, we appreciate it greatly and will do our best to represent them well ;) It helps that these wheels really are awesome though.

How much time do you think running shallow wheels cost you vs a 70-90mm front and disc?
Quote Reply
Re: Ben Deal at Indian Wells [Alwaysrunning99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alwaysrunning99 wrote:
How much time do you think running shallow wheels cost you vs a 70-90mm front and disc?
Honestly, the wind tunnel experts would probably know better, but on this course, on this day, I'm guessing it wasn't more than 15-20 seconds. Low angles were very low and that front wheel is no slouch aero wise (16 spokes is nice). I probably lost more time forgetting to put on my aero calf sleeves before the race :/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Alwaysrunning99 wrote:

Honestly, the wind tunnel experts would probably know better, but on this course, on this day, I'm guessing it wasn't more than 15-20 seconds. Low angles were very low and that front wheel is no slouch aero wise (16 spokes is nice). I probably lost more time forgetting to put on my aero calf sleeves before the race :/

^^^^This.

The sleeves are worth probably 90sec in a 70.3. They are the biggest gain most folks are overlooking (and cheap to boot). Saw SC using them for the bike during her win at IMAZ (and then taking them off for the run). Seems like they would create some serious extra signage area as well.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Ben Deal at Indian Wells [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hasn't got a pay check since about Sept 25th so... about 10 weeks.
Take the cost for all 4 races this year and Hawaii, lots spend $$$. he is averaging about $500-$800 a week income.
The guys putting out the fencing and pylons are making more overall yearly income with zero expenses. //

So taking this opportunity to resurrect Bens thread, because of Lionel!!! Ha!!!

So tonight he gets his 3rd payday in the past month+ or so, all wins. And the other race he had planned got cancelled, and it surely would also have been a win. Seems like about $14k in prize money, probably near as much in bonus's, and of course his monthly salary. So all in all, not a bad month for the gimp, and how about Paula Findaly, winning last week and this week too?? Gonna make for some nice videos, once Eric gets over his anguish about his races. He did have that great 2nd last week, so not all bad news. So maybe about a $20k month for Paula, and $50+k for Lionel at least...

But outside of those 2, you are right in that the money sucks. The next level places and pros are not getting near the bonus or salary money of these two, and of course the prize money drops off pretty steep too...

Normally would start a new thread on this topic, but it is the holidays and folks seemed to be a bit tuned out to racing at the moment, unless it is about the 100/100's..
Quote Reply
Re: Ben Deal at Indian Wells [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Hasn't got a pay check since about Sept 25th so... about 10 weeks.
Take the cost for all 4 races this year and Hawaii, lots spend $$$. he is averaging about $500-$800 a week income.
The guys putting out the fencing and pylons are making more overall yearly income with zero expenses. //

So taking this opportunity to resurrect Bens thread, because of Lionel!!! Ha!!!

So tonight he gets his 3rd payday in the past month+ or so, all wins. And the other race he had planned got cancelled, and it surely would also have been a win. Seems like about $14k in prize money, probably near as much in bonus's, and of course his monthly salary. So all in all, not a bad month for the gimp, and how about Paula Findaly, winning last week and this week too?? Gonna make for some nice videos, once Eric gets over his anguish about his races. He did have that great 2nd last week, so not all bad news. So maybe about a $20k month for Paula, and $50+k for Lionel at least...

But outside of those 2, you are right in that the money sucks. The next level places and pros are not getting near the bonus or salary money of these two, and of course the prize money drops off pretty steep too...

Normally would start a new thread on this topic, but it is the holidays and folks seemed to be a bit tuned out to racing at the moment, unless it is about the 100/100's..

400 in đź’Ż..... Long live king BlueStacks!
Quote Reply

Prev Next