Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Canadian Championships 2020 Montreal + WTS
Quote | Reply
I just found out the Olympic and Sprint age group nationals are in Montreal June 27-28 AND it is a WTS stop.

It shows you how far out I am from the triathlon loop when the nationals are 2 hrs drive away and I just stumble upon it on the web.

The bike course is pretty cool.....10 laps including the climb up from Old Montreal up thru the biz district and back down to the port...so I better lose some of my swimmer fat!!!!

I see there is also a 5km swim race on the Friday, Olympic tri Saturday, Sprint on Sunday. So I signed up for the 5000m. And in the registration process I found out that there is an ITU WTS Grand Final in Bermuda in 2021 that this is a qualifier for (I have not done an ITU worlds since 1994), so I guess now I have some goals for next year.

Timing for me is perfect since swim Canada Masters Nationals are exactly one month before so my "high end cardio" should be optimized already. If any of you guys are going will be great to sync up.

Now I really need to get my run in some semblance of respectability.....100/100 is timely
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Championships 2020 Montreal + WTS [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

man that looks fun!

but ... is this one of those events where i have to buy a special sports-LARP costume from tri canada? i don't even object to the cash, its the poseur factor i can't handle.

/totally don't have a weird axe to grind.
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Championships 2020 Montreal + WTS [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No I think you wear the triathlon Canada clown costume when you go to worlds which as we all know is a big rip off event, and realistically, unless I get my running down to low 40 min 10km, I have no chance in my age group....my last Olympic tris in 2019 I did not even break 48 min, while my swim and bike were close to the young guys (I am racing 55-59 in 2020)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry noob question: The bike leg is draft legal Dev (ITU rules) ?

LOuis :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Montreal usually has horrendous road conditions. off road wheels might be a thought.
Is the non pro race on the same course as the pro race and will you race in gatorskins or something equally bomb proof.
And where is the swim ( I assume not the rowing basin where they do the Esprit.) because Montreal has not always been careful with it's effluent.

Think I'll stick to the Esprit race.

but.....Best of luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Championships 2020 Montreal + WTS [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:
race in gatorskins

thats not a thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i did the itu olympic race in montreal this past summer. the bike course is fun. technical and a little scary. would not want to do it if its raining. just make sure you accurately count laps. I did 11 by mistake (but that added up to an honest 40k).

Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Championships 2020 Montreal + WTS [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 will you race in gatorskins or something equally bomb proof.

There fixed it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:
will you race in gatorskins or something equally bomb proof.

There fixed it.

I was going to ride on 30mm Vittoria corsas with my saddle slammed back all the way on my old cannondale slice so that it is good for cornering. I may also use a non deep front wheel for braking.

I am a bit worried about wave spacing as I am decent climber and fast technical descender, but it depends on which tourists are on the road with me. I think this will be a race where you want to train doing a lot of 60x45 second intervals as its going to be a spikey day even if you take the hill out because there will be a need to pass various ability riders before turns to take them cleanly. Loop 1 of the race will be a recce, but I may just jog the loop next time I am in Montreal for biz and check out the various bumps and camber etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Championships 2020 Montreal + WTS [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
louisn wrote:
Sorry noob question: The bike leg is draft legal Dev (ITU rules) ?

LOuis :-)

No bike leg is non drafting, so with a 4km loop, I am hoping that they really spread the waves apart. If you have 200 athletes evenly spaced at 4000m, they get 20 meters each, so hopefully no more than 100-150 on the loop per hour.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:
Montreal usually has horrendous road conditions. off road wheels might be a thought.
Is the non pro race on the same course as the pro race and will you race in gatorskins or something equally bomb proof.
And where is the swim ( I assume not the rowing basin where they do the Esprit.) because Montreal has not always been careful with it's effluent.

Think I'll stick to the Esprit race.

but.....Best of luck.

First off Dev, it was just announced last week, so it's not that you were under a rock, the news just dropped... Secondly, I believe all AG Races are non-DL, but double check for the sprint distance, I believe two years ago, it was DL and last year it was not...

In terms of the course, I believe there are some cobblestone sections, so less pressure is your friend... There's one significant climb per loop on the bike, and the run is pretty much pan flat... If the venue is the same as it was this year, know that it's a sloped grass T-Zone for the AG races, which could be pretty gnarly if it's wet (not to mention the ramp from the swim is an aggressive slope)... The swim is in the harbour, off the old port. The water quality was fine the last two years (although the venue changed between 2018 and 2019, moving a couple of quais down). The age group races will be in Old montreal, only the para-tri races mid-week will be at the rowing basin/race track. This year was a pretty amazing venue (despite the epic storm as the elite men got off the bike...).

I'm not sure what drafting was like in the AG races, generally I would say that at most races in Quebec they are fairly tightly officiated, especially with the number of officials in town for the WTS (with nationals being lumped on this year, that number will probably increase two). Especially given that this will be the venue for the 2022 Sprint/MTR worlds, they will likely start testing some things out with the venue/crew ahead of that event...
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Championships 2020 Montreal + WTS [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I realize that, I was replying to your post, but I had the one comment in there for Dev... Rather than doing multiple replies to address people's points individually...
Quote Reply