Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fastest Treadmill
Quote | Reply
has anyone investigated this? if you want to run, say, a fast mile or 5k, what mill has the fastest surface? produces the fastest times? motorized? non motorized? flat? curved?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Treadmill [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can’t you custom order a woodway for any speed you like?
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Treadmill [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pwraddr wrote:
Can’t you custom order a woodway for any speed you like?

i don't mean how fast the treadmill can go. i mean, if you want to run your fastest 5k you can on a treadmill - if you want to get the most speed out of yourself that you can - what mill would you choose?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got it, I can’t help then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
has anyone investigated this? if you want to run, say, a fast mile or 5k, what mill has the fastest surface? produces the fastest times? motorized? non motorized? flat? curved?

I don't know which is the 'fastest' in terms of lowest power resistance to running so you can hit your absolute PRs, but I would wager that for the fastest top speed possible which would likely be an all-out short sprint, it will almost certainly be a nonmotorized modern gen TM like the Woodway Curve or similar. There are youtube videos of football players doing all-out short sprints on them at very, very fast speeds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fam just ran a world record mile on a treadmill, so probably whichever one that was.

ETA video

Last edited by: jkhayc: Dec 5, 19 19:10
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Treadmill [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My experience is that most are too short to be running above 20km/h, so elevating is the answer.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Treadmill [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Fam just ran a world record mile on a treadmill, so probably whichever one that was.

ETA video

Yeah. I was there for that. It's what got me thinking about that. But I don't know that an analysis of treadmill speed is why that treadmill was the one used. the one he used yesterday was a true.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Dec 6, 19 8:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
jkhayc wrote:

ETA video

Yeah. I was there for that. It's what got me thinking about that. But I don't know that an analysis of treadmill speed is why that treadmill was the one used. the one he used yesterday was a true.

the one in the video looks like Precor
Last edited by: Runguy: Dec 7, 19 14:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anecdotal, but I've found that belted treadmills with some platform flex tend to provide energy return and be faster (i.e. easier to run on at a given speed). The sensation is similar to running on a wooden bridge when the planks flex.

Some of the old Life Fitness treadmills were good for this; the newer ones seem to have been beefed up and the flex is gone.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://tufftread.com

I looked into these for a certain fast individual in 2017.

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlterG of course!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can barely run a 3:56 kilometer, let alone a mile, or even 200m at that pace

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Treadmill [tilburs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://tufftread.com

I looked into these for a certain fast individual in 2017. //

31 MPH on a treadmill, you could do bike intervals on that! Who the hell did they make that for, Usain Bolt? I can see why you have to wear a harness when running on that baby, they have to pull you up to safety when you hit terminal velocity...Wheeeew...
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Treadmill [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think if you were chasing me with a gun I could get a 29 second 200, but certainly not a step more. 32/33s nearly crushed my dreams trying to do those last spring for some mile training. 28 would be right out. Speed has left these old legs for sure.

That sub-5:00 Zwift running target is interesting and might just barely be in reach, though...with a lot of work.

Real runners are amazing to me when I see how they can do these things so seemingly effortlessly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From our experience related to the fastest time for a single event (1m to 10k) we would say it's similar to finding the fastest track. The harder the surface will typically create the faster times, because the least amount of energy is is absorbed back into the surface. Yes, some treads with a "spring/rebound" type reaction may help, but not always depending on the running style.

That being said, we think doing a significant amount of your everyday training on a softer more shock absorbent surface (like our slats) reduces the chance of injury and some of the other negative high volume training challenges, which in turn will make you better prepared to perform at an optimal level at the real event.

Eric W - Woodway USA
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Treadmill [Woodway] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Woodway wrote:
From our experience related to the fastest time for a single event (1m to 10k) we would say it's similar to finding the fastest track. The harder the surface will typically create the faster times, because the least amount of energy is is absorbed back into the surface. Yes, some treads with a "spring/rebound" type reaction may help, but not always depending on the running style.

That being said, we think doing a significant amount of your everyday training on a softer more shock absorbent surface (like our slats) reduces the chance of injury and some of the other negative high volume training challenges, which in turn will make you better prepared to perform at an optimal level at the real event.

you are quite right, eric! as you know, there's a woodway in my pain cave at the moment, and i just finished a trip around the country and had to run on treadmills in hotels, and boy did i miss the woodway. you may know we're in the early days of our annual 100/100 challenge, which is our attempt here to run 100 runs in 100 days. here is the table where we keep track, and there's a sticky thread atop this forum for the smacktalk.

i'm asking here, in this thread, about treadmill speed. for a specific reason. but the overarching need for a mill is not when we're engaged in what anthony famiglietti did at The Running Event last week, but what north of 700 of us are doing right now in the 100/100. i got a good dose of running while out of the office last week, on mills other than the woodway, and my knees (and the rest of me) is/are quite happy to be back on my regular mill!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply