Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Buying used bike question
Quote | Reply
I am buying my first triathlon bike. I am looking at a used Felt that was released in 2015. I had a question about what do I need to look for as far as condition goes? Also, it has carbon race wheels on it, how long do those wheels typically last before they need to be replaced? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying used bike question [SoonerBorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What model Felt?

In general, a carbon bike (and carbon wheels) will last forever unless they are damaged by impact. So, look them all over carefully for any cracks or dings on the surface. If they have never been crashed or damaged during transit, they are probably fine.

After that, check that the drivetrain shifts smoothly and does not make any creaking or grinding noises. And, check that the headset and crankset turn freely on their bearings. (No big deal if not, those bearings are cheap and easy to replace.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Also, it has carbon race wheels on it, how long do those wheels typically last before they need to be replaced?

No idea but I'm still rolling a set of 2013 Zipp 303's and they seem fine to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying used bike question [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the reply. I was reading where rim brake bikes can cause issues over time with carbon wheels and erode the break surface which weakens the carbon. But, it sounds like from the other poster that, that might not be an issue since he says he has Zipps from 2013. It is a FELT IA10. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SoonerBorn wrote:
I was reading where rim brake bikes can cause issues over time with carbon wheels and erode the break surface which weakens the carbon.
I have a 2016 Felt IA16, and I love it. This bike will last forever, or until I find myself in lust with another bike.

No worries about the wheels. You can damage brake tracks by abuse, but that is not a wear thing. Inspect the brake tracks for any gouging that could indicate damage from an object stuck in the brake pads or waviness from extreme braking heat (like on a major downhill) that affected the integrity of the resin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What you have read is true of all rim brake rims, carbon and alloy, but failure of this sort on a TT bike would be pretty rare. It takes a lot of mileage and riding in bad weather conditions to grind down rims and typically TT bikes aren't used enough in these conditions.

If you are worried just put a credit card against the brake track and check if the rim is concave. There are plenty of picture online of what this should look like but you don't want to see much daylight. I have toasted alloy rims commuting and its pretty obvious when a brake track is shot.
Quote Reply