Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Run loop (where to run?) at Texas A&M
Quote | Reply
I'll be at my son's swim meet all weekend at A&M. I have an 18.5 mile run on the plan. Are there running routes on campus?

(Any other ST'ers have kids going to the meet?)
Quote Reply
Re: Run loop (where to run?) at Texas A&M [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aggie here, class of '95 (damn time flies). There aren't any running routes per se, but there are sidewalks all over campus so you can basically create your own route. It's worth running by Kyle Field (the football stadium) just to see the size of it. Otherwise, I'd run the perimeter of campus and then run through it to check out the various buildings. I think you'll end up doing multiple loops around campus to reach 18.5 miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live near TAMU in College Station, Class of '95 as well. There are tons of sidewalks along roads that wind all over "West Campus". West Campus is the huge chunk of A&M that's west of the railroad tracks. "Main Campus" (East of the RR tracks) is ok, but space is tighter and can be tougher to navigate.

West Campus includes some great areas around Research Park and the George Bush library. You might do best to look at a map of West Campus and draw out a looping route of a few miles and just swing by your car for water each lap.

Fun fact - TAMU is a "Land Grant" University, where main campus was given/started as one square mile. So if you run the perimiter of Main Campus, it's almost exactly 4 miles. But you'll have quite a few streets to cross since it has lots of entrances and exits.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Dec 5, 19 8:05
Quote Reply
Re: Run loop (where to run?) at Texas A&M [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I assume that at 7:30 in the morning on a Saturday the campus is pretty quiet even though school isn't out yet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have a lot of aggie friends.
Several belong to https://brazosrunnersclub.com/ might email the group and they have a route suggestion for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
I'll be at my son's swim meet all weekend at A&M. I have an 18.5 mile run on the plan. Are there running routes on campus?

(Any other ST'ers have kids going to the meet?)
Many moons ago, I used to run the main campus block (4.5 mile loop the way I did it) most mornings. Most of it was sidewalk, with a little on grass. It's probably all sidewalk now. Do that a couple of times and mix in runs out to the Bush library on campus roads and you'll knock a big chunk of that 18.5 out.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Last edited by: trentnix: Dec 5, 19 9:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely quieter than on a weekday, relatively speaking. At least should be.

If you wanted to run on main campus leaving from the Rec Center pool area,then do this - run on the sidewalk northwesternish along the RR tracks and you soon hit a sidewalk underpass that dips under the street and pops you up on Main Campus, no crossing that major intersection with cars required. It's pretty great.

Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was there visiting my cousin a few years ago, had no issues doing an easy 20 k run, plenty of sidewalks around campus. Not a lot of traffic early morning over the weekend either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This traffic alert for the area just popped up in my news feed. Looks like a lot of stuff going on this weekend. I think it's all Sunday, but worth knowing about since there might be extra traffic getting it all set up. https://www.kagstv.com/...d0-b5a8-c3789a20b0a4

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Any other ST'ers have kids going to the meet?

Ah, short course champs. Not anymore but I probably spent 10 years going to that meet between my 3 kids.

Quote:
Are there running routes on campus?
Others have chimed in and I agree that running the 4 miles around campus is the way to go. At least it always was for me as it was usually just me and my kid attending the meet so I never wanted to be too far away from the pool at any point in time. Plus, it's pretty easy to do a loop or two (or cut through campus to make it shorter) in between events. I think the longest run I've done like that was 20 miles.

I used to always try to stay at the Hampton Inn just off campus. I'd drop my kid off at warmups. Drive back to the hotel and begin my campus loops. That way when I finished up my run I'd could jump in the shower before driving over to the meet. I had success once or twice convincing the gym staff to let me use the locker rooms to shower but it was more of a hassle so I stopped trying. Little known fact is that most of the time there is a general open swim session in between the morning and afternoon sessions for masters swimming. I did that a few times but only when my wife was with me to take the kids to lunch or back to the hotel for some rest.
Quote Reply
Re: Run loop (where to run?) at Texas A&M [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did my grad work at A&M earlier this decade. On a weekend morning, campus should be nice, particularly Research Park as has been mentioned. The neighborhoods SE of campus are also pretty good running. Alternatively, you might head over to the XC course (behind the Equine Complex). Longest loop of ~2.9 miles with some gentle rollers, all grass. And runnable grass too, not the hard, lumpy ground that is more typical in the area.

-Me
Quote Reply
Re: Run loop (where to run?) at Texas A&M [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Little known fact is that most of the time there is a general open swim session in between the morning and afternoon sessions for masters swimming. I did that a few times but only when my wife was with me to take the kids to lunch or back to the hotel for some rest.

Something that just occurred to me: is this the same pool that the Tri-Aggie tri did the pool swim. I guess it has to be. Hmmm, it seemed like a barn with a pool in it. Am I remembering correctly, or is it a world class facility?

I just got my 9 year old a stupid $300 suit. I am so glad they are banned after next summer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know where Tri-Aggie is held as I've never done it. Personally I try to avoid College Station as much as I can (Hook'em Horns). Anyways, this meet is definitely not in a barn. It is a world class facility and second only to the Texas Swimming Center in Austin as far as facilities go in Texas. It is very nice and directly across the street from Kyle Field. It's part of the main (I think) gym facility for the students. It's a great place for a youth swim meet, especially if you are not the type of parent that stresses about continually seeing and talking to your kid. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Something that just occurred to me: is this the same pool that the Tri-Aggie tri did the pool swim. I guess it has to be. Hmmm, it seemed like a barn with a pool in it. Am I remembering correctly, or is it a world class facility?

TriAggieland was also in the TAMU pool - they hosted SEC Swimming & Diving Championships there in 2018 so I imagine it qualifies as world class or close to it.

-Me
Quote Reply
Re: Run loop (where to run?) at Texas A&M [stargazertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swam a FINA World Cup (SCM) there in 98... Ian Thorpe was there.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply