Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ride with Zwift, record with Garmin?
Quote | Reply
Been using Zwift since 2016 and I love it; I do all my bike training indoors, and it's been a life-saver.

That being said, I'm thinking about using my Edge 530 to record the ride data instead of Zwift itself. I know that Training Peaks doesn't care where the data comes from (and this is my primary data platform), but Garmin Connect does exactly squat with Zwift data from a training load/performance perspective.

What do you guys do for indoor cycling data?

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply
Re: Ride with Zwift, record with Garmin? [OtterJohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swear if Zwift doesnt get a lap button soon i will throw my water bottles at the TV screen!

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use my 930 as backup in case Zwift crashes or otherwise doesn’t record the ride. For training load and data, I use the Elevate plugin for Strava which seems to pull in and use the Zwift data just fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only use my Garmin bike computers to store my indoor rides no matter what training platform I use. With close to 10 years of Garmin connect data, I'm not about to change now.
Quote Reply
Re: Ride with Zwift, record with Garmin? [karlw2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karlw2000 wrote:
I only use my Garmin bike computers to store my indoor rides no matter what training platform I use. With close to 10 years of Garmin connect data, I'm not about to change now.

That's me...I've been using Garmin devices since 2006, so not like I'm going to drop it completely. Do you ride on Zwift or another indoor trainer platform?

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OtterJohn wrote:
karlw2000 wrote:

That's me...I've been using Garmin devices since 2006, so not like I'm going to drop it completely. Do you ride on Zwift or another indoor trainer platform?

I've used Zwift and Training Peaks, but mostly stick to Imobileintervals because it's free and easy to use with my Kickr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is exactly what I do, only difference being I use a Garmin 935. It's super convenient, I have an "Bike Indoor" widget set up on the watch that's synched to my trainer. Just press a button on the watch twice when I start the workout, twice when I'm finished and the ride shows up on Connect and Training Peaks/WKO4

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Ride with Zwift, record with Garmin? [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if I understand "Garmin does exactly squat with my zwift data"

Does it not show you all the data you need off of the ride?
When Zwift uploads to TP or Strava I see all the data I need. Is this different for Garmin?

I use Wahoo so no idea. Genuinely curious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always use my 820 to record my data, whether I’m on TR or Zwift. Garmin Connect is the only one I have syncing to Training Peaks so no duplication.
Quote Reply
Re: Ride with Zwift, record with Garmin? [2lazy2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use my Garmin to record my indoor rides as well.

My Zwift data is uploaded to Strava and that's the only place I look at it. Mostly for vanity since my Zwift miles are slightly higher than my Garmin miles.

Even though I know the pictures from Zwift are virtual, I like to look at them. I tried to get a good picture of the T-Rex in Titans Grove but I missed it :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin Connect can analyse indoor cycling data you just need to download the relevant app(s) from Garmin IQ first. This is admittedly a major issue in terms of long term use, because Garmin regulatory updates Garmin IQ to make devices obsolete in an attempt to force you to buy new units. Apple does the same thing so I guess Garmin is just following an irritating business trend but Garmin isn't consistent with the updates and has a history of maintaining support for older cheaper units while making newer higher end units obsolete.

I mention this because Zwift only considers power data when reporting TSS whereas Garmin likes to leverage heartrate data for its performance metrics so you will see different values. I think TP reads the raw data rather than the processed data from Garmin Connect or Zwift so it shouldn't matter on TP. However expect different value on Garmin vs Zwift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny, it never occurred to me to not record the data on my Garmin. Gives me a backup, my last ride on Zwift never showed up on Strava, I suppose I can get it out of Zwift but why bother? It's much easier to get the data into Golden Cheetah if I want to do any serious analysis. Strava is great for entertainment, keeping up on friends, social stuff, etc. but not good for serious analysis. Plus I get metrics on the Garmin that Zwift doesn't give me during the ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
karlw2000 wrote:

You do know that you can connect Zwift to Garmin Connect and have it automatically send your data over there, right?

As to the OP, I haven't looked much into what the data from Zwift that goes into GC actually does with it, but I'll take their word for it. I don't use GC for any analysis or metrics as I do all of that over on TP's, so could care less about it from that standpoint.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Ride with Zwift, record with Garmin? [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:
karlw2000 wrote:

You do know that you can connect Zwift to Garmin Connect and have it automatically send your data over there, right?

Yes, but I'm always jumping in and out of the different platforms whereas I always collect data into Garmin Connect since 2009 when GC might have first started and I had that old 305 for running.

Also presently I have a 2nd 1030 on my garage training bike and I like the different screens on the 1030 to see how I'm doing. I just find it easier to see the real time data on my 1030 than the software platforms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
karlw2000 wrote:
@BW_Tri wrote:
karlw2000 wrote:

Yes, but I'm always jumping in and out of the different platforms whereas I always collect data into Garmin Connect since 2009 when GC might have first started and I had that old 305 for running.

Also presently I have a 2nd 1030 on my garage training bike and I like the different screens on the 1030 to see how I'm doing. I just find it easier to see the real time data on my 1030 than the software platforms.

Zwift will send your file to GC without you doing anything after initial setup.

I ride with my 530 when Zwifting as well but then discard the file there and have Zwift send them data over to GC, TPS, Strava, etc.

So I guess you don’t have Zwift sending the data from your Zwift ride anywhere and it simply stays on Zwift?

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply