Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2019 D-Bag triathlete of the year [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You clearly didn’t listen to the speech. It’s good and you should feel bad for your comments here.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 D-Bag triathlete of the year [superfit08] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
superfit08 wrote:
When I posted this On my Facebook The intention was not to nuke this guy. It was funny because of my reaction. i covered his number and his face. I feel really bad that he is getting blasted. when I finished there was no finishers tape so I was told to go back and run through the finish. I made sure no one was around and started running, he came around the corner and sprinted. I laughed about it even at the race. I’m not a mean person and never intended for this to blow up like it has.

I believe you when you say you’re not a mean person and you didn’t intend for this the blow up like it has. I also agree with Eric who says it would be good for you to set the record straight.

Let’s take a moment to pause and reflect upon how we all make mistakes (big and small). The speedy, pervasive internet has allowed for the impact of small mistakes to be amplified beyond all reason. Let’s reign it in.

You’re a good, thoughtful person, and I think you can accomplish something good for the poor fellow getting blasted. Let me know if you receive any grief for doing it. We’ll have your back.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 D-Bag triathlete of the year [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
Nerd wrote:
.... I need it as a reminder from time to time that the world does not revolve around ME.....

If you need a reminder of this, maybe you should win D-bag of the year.....

on the other hand, the person who acknowledges the need for a reminder may be the one least likely to be a d-bag.

+1000
If everyone thought this way the world would be a much better place.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 D-Bag triathlete of the year [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Slowman wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
Nerd wrote:
.... I need it as a reminder from time to time that the world does not revolve around ME.....

If you need a reminder of this, maybe you should win D-bag of the year.....

on the other hand, the person who acknowledges the need for a reminder may be the one least likely to be a d-bag.

Dan, I have nothing against you and I LOVE this site and I acknowledge that making the above statement may make you fell all warm & fuzzy inside, but no. Just no. Only a true D-bag would ever, for even a millisecond, think that the world revolves around him/her.

ETA: no reminder should ever be needed.

EVERYONE can improve themselves. One who believes that they require no effort to improve and be a better person is severely lacking in self-awareness.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 D-Bag triathlete of the year [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote Calamityjane88

I believe you when you say you’re not a mean person and you didn’t intend for this the blow up like it has. I also agree with Eric who says it would be good for you to set the record straight.

Let’s take a moment to pause and reflect upon how we all make mistakes (big and small). The speedy, pervasive internet has allowed for the impact of small mistakes to be amplified beyond all reason. Let’s reign it in.

You’re a good, thoughtful person, and I think you can accomplish something good for the poor fellow getting blasted. Let me know if you receive any grief for doing it. We’ll have your back.[/quote].
"The Internet" needs more people like you Calamity.Well said.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 D-Bag triathlete of the year [G. Belson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A D-bag by definition is a person deserving contempt, someone who is despicable. A thread created to debate who is the most deserving person of this award is an exercise in pointing at other people doing wrong (perhaps) to make ourselves feel better? Probably other reasons, too, and those reasons likely similar and will be negative and counterproductive.

If this were all done tongue-in-cheek, it could be a harmless thread of humor. But in a highly compressed A-type analytical environment, such as this site!, it's only going to devolve into something resembling Dante's deepest inferno rings.

I'd like to agree that Galvin Belsing is the most despicable triathlete this year!! A fictional character that's so narcissistically self-obsessed with winning at all cost that it's comical. It's easy and guiltless to point and laugh at him because he's not real. But pointing and laughing and casting judgement toward others in real life is not. We're all human beings and have done things that are dumb, stupid and worthy of the D-bag title at some point in our life. It doesn't define who we/they/ I am. And in the rare and few cases it does define a person, like a serial cheater we read about on Marathon Investigation, those are emotionally and mentally sick humans, and that's genuinely sad.

Shining a spotlight on other people's moments of lapse in judgement and researching/ dissecting it into small pieces... why? What's my motivation for doing that?
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 D-Bag triathlete of the year [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
Calamityjane88 wrote:

You’re a good, thoughtful person, and I think you can accomplish something good for the poor fellow getting blasted. Let me know if you receive any grief for doing it. We’ll have your back.

Jane is wise

And ST needs a "Like" button

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 D-Bag triathlete of the year [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

EVERYONE can improve themselves. One who believes that they require no effort to improve and be a better person is severely lacking in self-awareness.

MAGA !!!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 D-Bag triathlete of the year [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
Calamityjane88 wrote:

Jane is wise

And ST needs a "Like" button

This isn’t about ME. Didn’t you read the previous posts about whether or not it’s about ME? C’mon now. ; )

This is about our sport and ST community! Kudos to EricMpro and superfit08 for having reasonable discussions here. It’s human nature to flare up and attack or become super defensive or hide from trouble. They didn’t do that. They have handled themselves really well.

So, anyhoo. I think we should be prepared to rally behind superfit08 if the fb townspeople start chasing her with their pitchforks.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 D-Bag triathlete of the year [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't go as far as "deserving contempt or someone who is despicable". It was tongue in cheek on my part but I've been in this sport for enough years to see that there's some d-baggery at the core of all of us. Self-obsession and narcissism is pretty much required to be at least mildly successful in this hobby. Many of us look at the picture of the Tape Snatcher and think... yep, I know a guy like that.

BT_DreamChaser wrote:
A D-bag by definition is a person deserving contempt, someone who is despicable. A thread created to debate who is the most deserving person of this award is an exercise in pointing at other people doing wrong (perhaps) to make ourselves feel better? Probably other reasons, too, and those reasons likely similar and will be negative and counterproductive.
If this were all done tongue-in-cheek, it could be a harmless thread of humor. But in a highly compressed A-type analytical environment, such as this site!, it's only going to devolve into something resembling Dante's deepest inferno rings.

I'd like to agree that Galvin Belsing is the most despicable triathlete this year!! A fictional character that's so narcissistically self-obsessed with winning at all cost that it's comical. It's easy and guiltless to point and laugh at him because he's not real. But pointing and laughing and casting judgement toward others in real life is not. We're all human beings and have done things that are dumb, stupid and worthy of the D-bag title at some point in our life. It doesn't define who we/they/ I am. And in the rare and few cases it does define a person, like a serial cheater we read about on Marathon Investigation, those are emotionally and mentally sick humans, and that's genuinely sad.

Shining a spotlight on other people's moments of lapse in judgement and researching/ dissecting it into small pieces... why? What's my motivation for doing that?

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 D-Bag triathlete of the year [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

"The trouble with Self-Improvement, is knowing when to quit" - David Lee Roth

Quote Reply
Re: 2019 D-Bag triathlete of the year [G. Belson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G. Belson wrote:
I wouldn't go as far as "deserving contempt or someone who is despicable".

Gotcha. I genuinely didn't think that's what you meant; however, the actual Merriam Webster definition of dirt bag is: a dirty, unkempt, or contemptible person. And the definition of a "contemptible person" is "someone deserving of contempt; despicable". As is typical, plain text on a page lacks body language, inflection, emotional tone, and the human expression to convey what you really mean :-). And as a result, depending on one's perspective, mood, etc... it will be interpreted anywhere along the spectrum of comedic satire on one end and character assassination/ burn them at the proverbial stake!! pitchforks and torches mob mentality on the other end.

Hopefully this thread veers back toward the comedic end. Because both the tape snatcher and Pewag MMA celebration are both freaking hilarious! But I'm still voting Gavin as the winner cause I like Silicon Valley, and the fact that Triathlon got some mainstream exposure. I also think they did a good job shooting those scenes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 D-Bag triathlete of the year [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
D-bag doesn't stand for dirt bag.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/...e.php?term=douchebag

LMFAO!!! Still comedic... just darker comedy now!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
it's only going to devolve into something resembling Dante's deepest inferno rings.

Not sure where this all is covered

RandMart wrote:
In my mind this is how they're laid down

First Circle: People Who Fudge Their Training Logs
Second Circle: Bike Thieves
Third Circle: Race Bandits, Bib-Swappers, Bib-Copiers, and Those Who Take TWO Finishers Medals
Fourth Circle: Dopers, Course Cutters, and Other Assorted Cheats [may include people having extramarital affairs with a Coach or Running Partner, but not always]
Fifth Circle: Gamblers, Sportswriters, and People Who Make up Charity Scams
Sixth Circle: Sports Agents
Seventh Circle: Team Owners
Eighth Circle: League Commissioners
Ninth Circle: Al Davis ... Alone for now, but saving spaces for Jerry Jones, OJ, Joe Buck, The Krzyzewski/Pitino/Calipari Triumvirate and Roger Goodell

Quote Reply
Re: 2019 D-Bag triathlete of the year [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^this
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
it's only going to devolve into something resembling Dante's deepest inferno rings.

Not sure where this all is covered

RandMart wrote:
In my mind this is how they're laid down

First Circle: People Who Fudge Their Training Logs
Second Circle: Bike Thieves
Third Circle: Race Bandits, Bib-Swappers, Bib-Copiers, and Those Who Take TWO Finishers Medals
Fourth Circle: Dopers, Course Cutters, and Other Assorted Cheats [may include people having extramarital affairs with a Coach or Running Partner, but not always]
Fifth Circle: Gamblers, Sportswriters, and People Who Make up Charity Scams
Sixth Circle: Sports Agents
Seventh Circle: Team Owners
Eighth Circle: League Commissioners
Ninth Circle: Al Davis ... Alone for now, but saving spaces for Jerry Jones, OJ, Joe Buck, The Krzyzewski/Pitino/Calipari Triumvirate and Roger Goodell

Sportswriters in the same circle as People Who Make up Charity Scams? Gotta disagree. Also not sure about Joe Buck.

Maybe add "D-Bag Triathletes and People who are Overly Critical and Overly Righteous and said D-Bag Triathletes" to the Second Circle. I dunno know...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
Sportswriters in the same circle as People Who Make up Charity Scams? Gotta disagree.

That was inspired by a local sports-reporter who made up a charity scam

Feel free to re-allocate

BT_DreamChaser wrote:
Also not sure about Joe Buck.

He's the Ryan Seacrest of sports, that is all - talentless yet ubiquitous

Quote Reply

Prev Next