Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Winter traction devices for running
Quote | Reply
Looking to purchase some stretch type traction devices for winter trail running .
Been running 35 years and never used them so a little unsure on nanospikes which are approximately 5mm or microspikes 10mm .Kahtoola seems to be a legit brand but would love some feedback .
Quote Reply
Re: Winter traction devices for running [sward] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've run lots in both and have some opinions. The microspikes are overkill and make it really hard to run normally. I only use them for 'running' up at the ski resort (to get up super steep stuff). The nanospikes are easier to run on, and I used to use them a lot until I discovered the Hoka Speedgoats that have such amazing traction, I no longer need the nanospikes. I recommend getting bomber trail shoes before spending 80 bucks on nanospikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3/8-inch sheet metal screws. Some Nikes with air bladders are the only ones I haven't used screws on...well more than just that one time. There are tons of videos and sites out there showing how. I've tried the stretchy spike and coil devices and just don't like the binding and squeezing on the tops and sides of my feet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running snowshoes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to live in Wisconsin and run in the winter. I had a pair of yaktracks and they worked great. My version are about 10 years old than the ones in this article - difference is they had the coils throughout in the forefoot too. I literally ran on them on solid ice sometimes and they gave me great traction.

I don’t know much about those metal spiked one you mentioned(some are in the article below though. ) I think those may be uncomfortable If you run at all on pavement but could be great on trails.

My yak tracks with the coils throughout are pretty awesome though I think.

https://www.runnersworld.com/...95/gaining-traction/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will you use on packed snow only? Or a mix of snow and ice and pavement? If you'll use on pavement as well try screw shoes. Everything else sucks on pavement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Salomon Snowcross shoes are great if you can find them.

Running snowshoes also great.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter traction devices for running [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Live in Michigan and run outside year round.

I used yak tracks when the trail is completely covered with snow.

I use these when there is a combination of exposed road, ice, and snow -

https://www.walmart.com/...r-Ice-Snow/490079088
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of Stabilicers that work well. They are the walking version and not intended specifically for running but I haven't had any issues running in them. Simple design and relatively inexpensive.
Quote Reply