Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cost / Benefit of Carbon Wheels
Quote | Reply
Hi all - I am looking to get my first tri bike and will most likely get the PRFour Disc from QR

The bike comes w/ Shimano RS170 Disc wheels, but for $850 you can get Reynolds AR58/62 Disc wheels.

Given that's 1/3 of the total bike cost I wanted to see if people think it's worth it. Seems like a good deal, but in terms of time what's the actual benefit from upgrading the wheelset? Are we talking a 1mph benefit or something much less.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Cost / Benefit of Carbon Wheels [newtryguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a great incremental price for those wheels. And if you get into this, you will probably get deep wheels eventually. They do add a lot of free speed. (By free, I mean you get faster without having to workout to earn it.)

Buuuuut... If I were buying deep wheels, I would not choose those. The rear is pretty shallow for my taste. I started with a set of 60mm/90mm deep wheels, and I quickly realized that my fears about handling were unfounded. So, now I ride 90mm/disc for everyday & race. If it were me, I would want at least a 90mm rear, so I would apply that incremental spend toward wheels that meet my likely long-term criteria.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind that the Reynolds 58/62 Disc Brake wheels do not have bladed spokes.

Also, is the bike shop substituting the Reynolds wheelset for the Shimano wheelset? Or do you get both wheelsets?
Quote Reply
Re: Cost / Benefit of Carbon Wheels [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's put it this way. Once you use it, you will never look back.
Quote Reply
Re: Cost / Benefit of Carbon Wheels [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Keep in mind that the Reynolds 58/62 Disc Brake wheels do not have bladed spokes.

Also, is the bike shop substituting the Reynolds wheelset for the Shimano wheelset? Or do you get both wheelsets?

They’re subbing the Reynolds for the Shimano so you won’t get both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a look at Flo Cycling's web site, which has a breakdown of their claims on how much TIME various aero wheels save over race distances. Even if you don't fully trust their data, I think their approach is sound: how much time are you saving over your intended race distance, and is that worth it to you? You'll have to make that decision for yourself.

But the easy answer is: if you have the budget for aero wheels, buy them. If you're on a tight budget, you can better spend your money elsewhere if you haven't already addressed the other lower hanging fruit. For example, properly fitting tight race suit, aero helmet, good fit, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Cost / Benefit of Carbon Wheels [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Non aero spokes is a big deal breaker for me. Aero spokes actually do matter a good bit on aero wheels. Those are great wheels, and I'd probably do it if it was a road bike.

But tri or TT bike, not deep enough for me to spend that money.

Cyber Monday, hit up MBS, HED, Flo, or somewhere and get a carbon fairing 60/90 setup. Then buy a spare 90 for the front later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Responding to some of the above comments:
- I agree that non-aero spokes is kind of a deal breaker. They are a pretty important impact to aero.
- I personally would not go a 60/90 route. It's not the whole "instability of a 90mm rim" aspect that people preach about, its the fact that in crosswinds (High yaw), a deeper rim is actually slower anyways. I would be happy with 58/62 wheels and then buy a disc cover for them, or a separate disc wheel in the future.
- Lastly, that is a pretty decent price for the wheels, but like said above, hopefully you get the smianos also. If not only for like a set of trainer wheels or something.

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Cost / Benefit of Carbon Wheels [Masnart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, speaking for our wheels, deeper is faster as the wind yaws out - going up to 15-20 degrees apparent wind. Exact angle depends on the wheel. You're rarely going to see apparent wind higher than that.

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply