Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Reccs based on fitting info for a tall guy?
Quote | Reply
Just finished IM AZ... proudly rode one of the few remaining aluminum Bikes out there... ha.. I think its time if I continue to race, to stop pouring $ down this bike and get a new(er) one to pour $ down... I have had my cervelo for a while... had a new fit done this year, much more comfortable... but it is too small.. Here are my stats... Trying to find sizing info across all the websites especially if I want to look used is killing my soul... Appreciate any help/insights.

I am 6'5" and pretty proportional....

Here are my stats... anything work?
saddle height 87.5
Saddle setback 1.3
Saddle armrest drop 5.0
Saddle-armrest 46.5
Armrest extension 34
Armrest width 24

Appreciate your help/thoughts
Last edited by: SasquatchTri: Dec 2, 19 8:01
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Reccs based on fitting info for a tall guy? [SasquatchTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What saddle is that fit based on?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Reccs based on fitting info for a tall guy? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
What saddle is that fit based on?

Crap... thanks for replying. Off the top of my head... I need to look. It is at friends who brought it home from AZ. I will respond asap.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Reccs based on fitting info for a tall guy? [SasquatchTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, my co-ordinates are pretty much the same as yours, although I'm set back 46mm with an ISM.
Saddle tip to armrest is 517, but I drop a bit more than you (131mm)

Mine is a Trek SC XL with a high-far stem. 35mm spacers, Pad X 482, pad X 718. Couldn't recommend the bike enough (although when the next gen disc version comes out I'll be happier. Or get some new brake levers, the Bontragers ones are like knives.

The only thing I would change is MUCH longer extensions. my comfort position pretty much has the pivot for the bar-end shifters at the base of my palm.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Reccs based on fitting info for a tall guy? [altayloraus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
altayloraus wrote:
Well, my co-ordinates are pretty much the same as yours, although I'm set back 46mm with an ISM.
Saddle tip to armrest is 517, but I drop a bit more than you (131mm)

Mine is a Trek SC XL with a high-far stem. 35mm spacers, Pad X 482, pad X 718. Couldn't recommend the bike enough (although when the next gen disc version comes out I'll be happier. Or get some new brake levers, the Bontragers ones are like knives.

The only thing I would change is MUCH longer extensions. my comfort position pretty much has the pivot for the bar-end shifters at the base of my palm.
Thanks! I will check it out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Following.

I have no idea what to measure, but in high school I could stand flat footed straddling a 39" high hurdle and still sing bass, so I need me a tall bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending on the saddle, you are probably too jammed up in cockpit and you also could probably be riding a lot more drop. I am also curious as to the saddle, but those numbers do not scream GREAT FIT!! at me.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Reccs based on fitting info for a tall guy? [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
Depending on the saddle, you are probably too jammed up in cockpit and you also could probably be riding a lot more drop. I am also curious as to the saddle, but those numbers do not scream GREAT FIT!! at me.

/\
This, and first get a fit done.
The saddle setback suggests you might be on a road saddle.
The armrest to extension tip seems short
The saddle to armrest seems really on the low side

So first get a good fit and then look for bikes that fit

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not as tall as you (6'3") but went thru the same exercise and landed on a Cervelo P2. I needed a bike that was easily adjustable after trying a Cervelo P5 and a Trek Speed Concept. Flexibility and getting accustomed to a tri bike is new for me at age 55.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Reccs based on fitting info for a tall guy? [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks guys...

These are the specs from my fit from early summer. It is as noticed not a super aggressive drop etc... but pretty comfortable on the whole...
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Reccs based on fitting info for a tall guy? [altayloraus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on the extra long extensions. I had to modify a set of Zipp extensions to fit on a Hed base bar. World of difference in comfort to get the length right.

Felt is known to be long, and XL would fit. at 6'5" you are on the edge of normal.

If you are super flexible, sure, go with those 170mm cranks and tighten that position right up. Doesn't 6"4" Frodo ride like a canyon medium or something unbelievable? If not a contortionist, get 180mm, or 190mm or even 200mm cranks and be comfortable with a lower cadence (~80).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As soon as I saw your pseudonym, I knew who you were. LOL

- your fellow ARBT Bum and Squirrel Dodger.

"I drank what?!?!" - Socrates
Poor Swimmer. Weak Cyclist. Slow Runner.
TriDot Ambassador / Sacramento Triathlon Club
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Reccs based on fitting info for a tall guy? [weakandpuny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am only sneaky in the woods....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SasquatchTri,

I'm begging you and others are begging you to get fit first - a prescriptive fit to help guide the new bike purchase. Getting the right tri bike is not the same as getting a new road bike by simply saying "hey, I'm 6'5" have you got a 63cm bike sitting around". Also, getting a new tri bike is not always the same as saying "hey, I've got this existing bike that's comfy and I want to duplicate that". Often times you can be just as comfortable and make more power and be a bit slipperier through the wind.

Where do you live. Perhaps I can recommend a fitter in your area who is educated in prescriptive tri fits, experienced in prescriptive tri fits, and owns the proper tooling to do this right.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SasquatchTri wrote:
thanks guys...

These are the specs from my fit from early summer. It is as noticed not a super aggressive drop etc... but pretty comfortable on the whole...

Well, there is quite a bif area between being super agressive and riding the Harley Davidson fit. Twice the amount of drop that you now have might be even more comfortable then what you have right now.
But you don't know until you feel it, but my guess is it would be with the right saddle.
Do you ride a road bike saddle on that bike you have now?

There are just too many variables from your data that doesn't add up and if that is the result of your fit from this summer, get another one.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Reccs based on fitting info for a tall guy? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Selle SMP Dynamic
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Selle SMP Dynamic

Sas, Now, we're gettin' to it! Here's the thinking that many of us whom have commented on your query and asked about the saddle are coming from. You're a tall guy and you have saddle setback of 13mm. I think that might be okay if you were sitting forward on a saddle but you can't really ride the nose of an SMP. I think - and I bet others would agree - that your hips are probably too far behind the bottom bracket to a) be optimal and b) to use these current numbers to prescribe a new bike purchase.

I'm now pretty certain that you're not riding as steep as you should and once you move to a better spot (in terms of hips over BB) you'll be in a longer and lower position. To put some hard numbers on that: your saddle-to-armrest-drop will move from 50mm to ~70+ (lower). What that does is move your Pad Y (Pad Stack) from what ever it is (and we're gonna find out on the QR Fit Thread) down 20mm and that's gonna open up some options. Also, riding steeper will move you to a spot where your saddle-to-armrest will move from 465mm to ~485mm and that too will throw the doors open to more bikes, more comfort, less drag, more speed, greater happiness, deeper sleep, better sex, longer life - you get the idea.

When you have that current Pad Y and Pad X measured out - I'll meet you back at the QR thread to discuss.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply