Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Steroids shot or not right before marathon
Quote | Reply
Two weeks out from my marathon and my knee tingled a bit. I have been training well for 16 weeks with large volumes and handling/recovering well. I am on the taper and two weeks out. But the tickle was there the second day and third day last week it got
really soar under the knee cap stinging like a bee sting.

I don’t get how a muscle imbalance showed up on week 14 of a 16 week plan where the volumes and repetition was much more severe.
But either runners knee or over use most likely.

Anyway should I get my first cortisone shot?
It’s the hardest I have trained and raced and was looking forward to proving it.
Quote Reply
Re: Steroids shot or not right before marathon [Zippy303] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My gut says no. Does the sensation fade while you are still running? How long does it persist if it doesn't fade? Do you foam roll, and if so, definitely pay your abductors a visit (INNER THIGHS) and your inside calf. Has your knee been checked over by an orthopod so as to rule out some type of joint injury? I will admit I do have a strong bias against cortisone shots, but also am not an MD.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m going to say no. If you need steroids to cover the pain to do any event, you are not fit/healthy enough for said event. There is much more to live than a finishers ribbon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely not. There are many other options that could help. Laser, PEMP, Gate Analysis, new Shoes, Foot Beds, Rest, Ice,....

Cortisone is 'not a good option'.

edit to change my opinion based on some good feedback. I must be wrong when Francois uses words like: 'steroidogenesis'
Last edited by: Dbeitel: Dec 3, 19 13:11
Quote Reply
Re: Steroids shot or not right before marathon [Dbeitel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Although there are indeed many other options, and using drugs to hide pain is rarely a good idea, your last statement is nonsense.
Cortisone naturally occurs during steroidogenesis, and has many therapeutic uses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it was me I would take a couple naproxen and give it a go. If the its enough to get you through the race then great but if it doesn't then you have a bigger issue going on than just a niggle and a stronger alternative might allow you to cause some serious damage. In my experience the adrenaline of a race can mask a lot of pain so if some pain killers and adrenaline don't do the trick, best to not do some serious damage.
Quote Reply
Re: Steroids shot or not right before marathon [BGildenstern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all. And agree that something else more serious suddenly is going on that its not worth it. I have never gotten injured on the taper or in such a late phase of training, so I am still searching for lessons here. Maybe volume caught up with me, maybe just some bad fatigued form...but so late into the taper after so many weeks of 40+...anyway a weird one.

Thanks for the input everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did your doctor tell you you need one or are you guessing you need one? My knee started hurting in the last 3 weeks before my first IM due to overuse in the last big week. I tried everything the chiropractor suggested but days before leaving for my IM, it still hurt. The orthopedic surgeon suggested a cortisone steroid shot in the knee. I got one and it worked. Really glad I did it.
Quote Reply
Re: Steroids shot or not right before marathon [Rocking Rob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, just guessing I could use one as my knee stings walking down stairs. Had one doc appt yesterday and one again tomorrow. But pretty sure my marathon ship has sailed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The answer is no.

When you do a shot you have to inject it into the soft tissue and or around it. That almost always included immobilizing it for a short time....up to 30 days in some cases. Also there is no reason to do anything invasive unless your MD is recommending that.
Quote Reply
Re: Steroids shot or not right before marathon [Dbeitel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dbeitel wrote:
Absolutely not. Cortisone is poison.

That is just silly.
Quote Reply
Re: Steroids shot or not right before marathon [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want to hear the whole story. Not knee cap issue, sports Med doc misdiagnosis. ART-Doc found a pinched nerve in my hip/soas that runs right theology my knee cap.

Reefed on that and things are better-ish. Enough that I will try to line up knowing I can’t do much to the nerve impingement to make it worse.

Thought it was a good example of how ART hands on docs sometimes are really better then arms length docs.. see how we go Sunday
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zippy303 wrote:
Two weeks out from my marathon and my knee tingled a bit. I have been training well for 16 weeks with large volumes and handling/recovering well. I am on the taper and two weeks out. But the tickle was there the second day and third day last week it got
really soar under the knee cap stinging like a bee sting.

I don’t get how a muscle imbalance showed up on week 14 of a 16 week plan where the volumes and repetition was much more severe.
But either runners knee or over use most likely.

Anyway should I get my first cortisone shot?
It’s the hardest I have trained and raced and was looking forward to proving it.

I wouldn't do it.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Steroids shot or not right before marathon [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shots are not an option. Doc confirmed it chews into Cartlidge so good to hear from lots of people. Thx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If its below your knee it is most likely tight IT band. Stretch it a lot, get electrotherapy and fascial massage at PT. When you run a bit of rocktap under your knee going up along your IT band should solve it. I had same issue during the end of my marathon block.
Quote Reply