Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kona Win Or Olympic Gold For Alistair Brownlee 2020?? [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is more money in racing ironmans and kona right?

Yes people know the olympics but its every 4 years...everyone knows ironman and its every year. More exposure, more money? or am I totally off base
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Win Or Olympic Gold For Alistair Brownlee 2020?? [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twinkie wrote:

Yes people know the olympics but its every 4 years...everyone knows ironman and its every year. More exposure, more money? or am I totally off base

The real money is in the endorsement value you get from being champion. To state that one is greater than the other is too simple. It depends on the event and the popularity and personality of the athlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Win Or Olympic Gold For Alistair Brownlee 2020?? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Twinkie wrote:

The real money is in the endorsement value you get from being champion. To state that one is greater than the other is too simple. It depends on the event and the popularity and personality of the athlete.

Ok lets say if someone were to win the olympics once vs ironman kona 4 times (4 year oly cycle).
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Win Or Olympic Gold For Alistair Brownlee 2020?? [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would guess that for triathlon that 4x Kona would be far more lucrative than 1x Olympic given the same person.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there is more top end money for top itu athletes for how the sport is structured. They can race one a month at every stop and its the same 10 guys making bank 90% of the time. There is more money prob in IM but that’s over like 75 events and those guys only race 1/2 of what the itu guys do.

Itu guys get hooked up on the federation’s dime while the IM guys have to get those private sponsors to cover costs etc.

I would say it’s more lucrative within triathlon to be an IM champion but if you can find an non tri product I’m guessing an “Olympic champion” is far more appealing to the masses. That to me is IM brand’s issue with sponsors for its races, it seems it’s all tri related companies these days.

-USAT L2 coach, M.S. Exercise Physiology
https://www.instagram.com/alloutmultisport
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Win Or Olympic Gold For Alistair Brownlee 2020?? [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
Tin pot wrote:
I guess he’s used to it by now, but it still must be funny to have a bunch of people considering your ability to get Olympic Gold and/or IMWC

HuffNPuff wrote:
logella wrote:
He has no chance of winning either.

Let the flames begin.

Concur. But he has a better chance of top 10 at Kona.

Define “no chance”.

E.g., his chance of being Olympic Tri Champion or Ironman World Champion in 2020 = 0.00%. Sort of like Gwen Jorgensen's chance of being the Olympic Marathon champion (actually her chance of even making the U.S. marathon team for Tokyo = 0.00%).

My turn to ask a question. Did you think he had a serious chance of winning Kona last month simply because he was a two time short course gold medalist? Were you surprised that he finished 21st? I believe that experience coupled with proper training will get him into the top 10 and possibly top 5 next year if he doesn't mess it up with Tokyo. But win in 2020? Not a chance!

Talk like this is silly when you're talking about the most talented Triathlete in history, if he's going for both I'm willing to bet he'll come short myself but there is not a chance I'll be writing him off.

People who say he has no shot are just doing their best to be a trendy guru. Nobody actually means it when they say one of the greatest anomalies in this sport has no chance. They can't say it 3 times in a row without feeling silly.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Win Or Olympic Gold For Alistair Brownlee 2020?? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I think there is more top end money for top itu athletes for how the sport is structured. They can race one a month at every stop and its the same 10 guys making bank 90% of the time. There is more money prob in IM but that’s over like 75 events and those guys only race 1/2 of what the itu guys do.

Itu guys get hooked up on the federation’s dime while the IM guys have to get those private sponsors to cover costs etc.

I would say it’s more lucrative within triathlon to be an IM champion but if you can find an non tri product I’m guessing an “Olympic champion” is far more appealing to the masses. That to me is IM brand’s issue with sponsors for its races, it seems it’s all tri related companies these days.

I think it very much depends on where you are from as well, in terms of endorsements. In the UK you could be No 3 UK athlete and top 10 in the WTS and have no sponsors. This is known as the Brownlee effect and has happened in the past. Things may be changing with Yee emerging but you get the point.

As far as prize money is concerned there is no competition - ITU wins hands down not only at the top end but also with how far down the prize pool goes. I guess with 70.3 and IM the standard in some Pro fields is extremely poor in comparison to ITU but then the prize pool may be only 5 deep and is pretty pitiful in many races.

Another thing to consider is ITU athletes have Super League and French GP as extra income sources which are very very lucrative, and can be used as essentially paid training races, as has been done with French GP in the past.

As Brooks alluded to this is all done with minimal expenses as NGB is covering living expenses, training, medical etc etc. This I think is where the big difference lies with MOP pros.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
So Alistair has just qualified for Kona next year winning and with a very good performance to boot in only his second ever Ironman.

Meanwhile on the ITU circuit Ali is currently ranked 139th, came 44th in his last WTS race and hasn't actually won a race at the top level since June 2017.

I'm sure Alistair's going to be making his mind up over the next couple of weeks over what his 2020 will look like (maybe he already has)

What does he have the best chance of winning Tokyo Olympics or Kona 2020?

Also what will be the best achievement for you out the two??

I don't think he will win Tokyo...but I think he has a very good chance at Kona.
Quote Reply

Prev Next