Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Polar H10 drop outs in aero?
Quote | Reply
Found a decade old thread on this--had hoped it would be resolved by now. Just picked up a Polar H10 heart rate monitor. Head unit (Edge 520+) picks up HR just fine. However, looks like the signal to PC app drops every time I go into aero. Tried both bluetooth and Ant+ (prefer Ant+). Moved trainer next to the PC/Ant dongle and still getting the drop outs in aero. It's as though the Polar signal is highly directional and doesn't get picked up unless the HR monitor is directly facing the receiving device. Any one else running into this? Solutions?

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Polar H10 drop outs in aero? [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the H10 on all rides and have never encountered this problem. It sounds as if the chest strap might be falling away from your chest, meaning there is inadequate skin in contact with the electrodes. Suggestions:

1. tighten the chest strap
2. replace the chest strap (they do wear out over time).
Quote Reply
Re: Polar H10 drop outs in aero? [BigHammer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. I made sure it was tight, and it's a brand new unit.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use an H10 for all rides and many runs, and have never had a dropout to my knowledge on any of my Polar watch, Bolt head unit, or my Macbook during TrainerRoad or Zwift. I wonder if you got a bad unit and they need to exchange it for you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try pairing it with your phone also, and see if it sees the same drop outs. That will tell you if the signal from the H10 is dropping out or if it's a reception issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar H10 drop outs in aero? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It pairs to my head unit (Edge 520+), in road and aero position. It pairs to Ant dongle on PC when I'm in road position. Drops signal to PC when I ride in aero. My Garmin HR crapped out after many years of use. I don't remember having this problem with it. I went with Polar to escape Garmin. (I'm fed up with the speed and cadence sensors, and watches that die.) I'll try a new battery today. It's on off size (2025 instead of 2032). I could try a USB extension, but that's another $35.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run the 520 and PC at the same time and see if it drops out on both. If so, it's the H10 not sending a signal, so either weak battery, or bad connectivity with skin. If it only drops out on the PC, then it's receiver position, interference, or something like that.

At some point, Polar customer support told me that Japanese batteries work best (Sony, Panasonic). I get Sony's online and they work really well. The cheapo Maxell's or Energizers definitely don't work as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar H10 drop outs in aero? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Yes, I ran both 520+ and PC at same time, Vector 3 pedals as well. No interference in reception of Vector 3 on either 520+ or PC. And the only interference in reception of Polar HR is on PC when in aero. It's odd.

Quote Reply